Thread: UV-Maps get deformed

Newbie Member

UV-Maps get deformed

When I make a new UV-map on an object the UV is distorted and out of proportion. So when I paint the image using the UV as reference that will also be distorted. So when it gets mapped onto my object it is all stretched out and wrong.
    My object is not a complicated one. I've even gone as far as flattening out the model using endomorphs to try and get a better proportioned map; same result. Bit at a lost now, not sure what Iím doing wrong if anything.
    Any help would be great, textures arenít my forte.

Quote Originally Posted by red fox

When I make a new UV-map on an object the UV is distorted and out of proportion. So when I paint the image using the UV as reference that will also be distorted. So when it gets mapped onto my object it is all stretched out and wrong.
    My object is not a complicated one. I've even gone as far as flattening out the model using endomorphs to try and get a better proportioned map; same result. Bit at a lost now, not sure what Iím doing wrong if anything.
    Any help would be great, textures arenít my forte.
    Have you tried unwelding all polys before applying the mapping...
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Newbie Member
    Yeah, I think I've done every thing. The problem is with the shield, the colour map is stretched along the Z axis. Iíve tried using planer and atlas texture maps but they look distorted, using them for a reference to paint a colour map ends up with what I got, stretched UVís.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Newbie Member
    The UV is elongated in the Y or V axis.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by red fox; 02-08-2005 at 03:51 AM.

You do realise the Uv map create only gives you a starting point for your mapping? That you can then modify the uvs (by scaling moving etc) to give a better reflection of your model's shape?

Newbie Member
    Errrrrr.....no I didnít. I knew that I could unwield UV poly's and then move them....didnít occur to me to try and scale it.

Such a simply mistake has taken me a week to sort out.

Cheers for that will try it now.

Also, it may be better for you to select individual polys, rather than the whole object, and just UV map them - especially since you seem to be texturing the shield that way because it's more difficult with the traditional projections? That way you'll get more control over the placement of the images in the UV texture window...

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Are we there yet ?
    By default LW's default UV mapping projections will non-uniformally scale your selection to fill the 0,0-1,1 UV grid. This means that unless your selection is square to start off with, it will be stretched to make it square.

One solution to keep your selection in the same proportion is to draw a cube around it before applying the UV map (making sure that no part of your model is outside the cube), apply the UV projection to your selection, including the cube, then delete the cube.

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Yog
    By default LW's default UV mapping projections will non-uniformally scale your selection to fill the 0,0-1,1 UV grid. This means that unless your selection is square to start off with, it will be stretched to make it square.

One solution to keep your selection in the same proportion is to draw a cube around it before applying the UV map (making sure that no part of your model is outside the cube), apply the UV projection to your selection, including the cube, then delete the cube.
    A better solution is to use the Texture Guide 2 plugin. Sorry Yog, but the cube method is a bit old school!

Red Fox, like they said, any of the UV mapping tools just give you a starting point. you will then have to modify the UV points to reduce distortion. Apply a grid pattern to the colour channel while you`re doing this and you`ll see the errors more clearly!

Cheers,

R

Are we there yet ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory_L
    Sorry Yog, but the cube method is a bit old school!

R
    Heh heh, "Old school" is me all over

I still find that I often parent cameras to a couple Nulls to split out movement/rotation channels. My poor old brain can't cope with this new fangled per channel key framing

Newbie Member
    Cheers guys, all sorted now. Will post the final model soon as Iíve finished the other maps.

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory_L
    A better solution is to use the Texture Guide 2 plugin.
    R
    Care to expand on that? Is it just a method of sizing the texture? If so - how does that help the creation of the UV map?
    Too old to die young.

It's an alternative version of the texture guide tool which works a bit better than the old one. So basically it's an interactive way of uv-mapping vertices....

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    righty - must take a peek at that - ta Mike!
    Too old to die young.

Custom User Title
    ...And holding `Control` as you resize the widget maintains aspect ratio. It`s a cool plugin!

R