Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VT4 Oddness

Angry VT4 Oddness

Hey all

I have a bit of weirdness with the new VT4.

I have 3 live inputs. I can "Take" or "Auto" between them using keyboard as well as mouse and with the RS8.

The weirdness comes in when I click on 1,2, or 3 on the main bus WITH LIVE VIDEO on the preview bus.

I have live feeds into 1 - 2 - 3 on the SX8

Lets say that I have 2 (Doesn't matter if it is 1, 2 or 3) selected on the preview bus...
    if I click on 3 on the main I get black, then I click on 1 on the main I get video, if I click on 2 on the main I get black, and finally back to 3, I get video.

Summary, when I have video on the preview bus selected,(Doesn't matter if it is 1, 2, or 3.) every other selection on the main is black.

If I have a graphic on the preview bus, I can select between the three just fine.
    And as previously stated, I can switch fine using AUTO and TAKE.

The card has been sent into Newtek twice. The second time the BOB was sent in as well, and Newtek has found nothing wrong. Anyone else experience this?

JP

Exclamation Same Here...

We're having the same issue here... I'm going to be talking to NewTek today about another issue, so we'll see what they have to say.

Aaron

VT[5] SpeedEdit Pilot Jim Capillo's Avatar
    Gloucester, MA - The Home of the Perfect Storm
    Quote Originally Posted by alphavideo
    Hey all

I have a bit of weirdness with the new VT4.

I have 3 live inputs. I can "Take" or "Auto" between them using keyboard as well as mouse and with the RS8.

The weirdness comes in when I click on 1,2, or 3 on the main bus WITH LIVE VIDEO on the preview bus.

I have live feeds into 1 - 2 - 3 on the SX8

Lets say that I have 2 (Doesn't matter if it is 1, 2 or 3) selected on the preview bus...
    if I click on 3 on the main I get black, then I click on 1 on the main I get video, if I click on 2 on the main I get black, and finally back to 3, I get video.

Summary, when I have video on the preview bus selected,(Doesn't matter if it is 1, 2, or 3.) every other selection on the main is black.

Wow..... weird. Have you tried putting a deck on any of the inputs you now have a camera hooked up to? If so, does the channel function correctly on the preview bus then?

What are you using for cameras? CCU's ? What do they look like on the scopes? Legal video?

Video card and what rev are you using?

Have you done a "I messed up my config" reset and/or a complete uninstall/reinstall?

Did Newtek do the upgrade to the SX-8 when you sent it in? If so, did you have this problem from the very beginning?
    Jim Capillo

CW Television Productions
    100 Cummings Center, Suite 309-G
    Beverly, MA 01915

www.cwtvproductions.com

Doesn't matter what camera I use.
    But I am currently using a Panasonic DVC-30.
    I also had an XL2, and yes I have tried a deck. A JVC BR-DV600 to be exact.
    The customer is using DVC-Pro Cams I believe.

The Video card is a GEforce FX5200.

I am not exactly sure what Newtek has done short of replacing the card. We did send the BOB in. all I got from Newtek at this point is that they could not replicate the issue.

Not slamming Newtek, just getting frustrated.

JP

Is the deck doing the same thing as the cameras?
    Jim Capillo

Beverly, MA 01915

www.cwtvproductions.com

Yes. The anamolie is consistent regardless of the source.

Missing Video on Program

During a live production two weeks ago, I had the odd experience of using my newly installed VT[4] for the first time under live conditions. In addition to the CG causing repeated crashes, I could not "take" any video source on the program bus with any certainty that is would come up. If I put the camera or scan converter on the preview bus first and then used the "auto-take" no problem ever......1000's of switches. But forget once and hit a video source up on the program bus and you might just get black instead of the selected source. The quick solution was to take the camera/video source on the preview and "auto-take". All video sources were very stable Sony broadcast cameras with CCU's or Scan-Do scan converters. I do not have SP1 on the VT[4] yet, but have a feeling this is more a problem with VT[4] than SP1.
    Bill
    www.interactivevideo.tv
    609-654-6122

Still Troubleshooting...

No luck with NewTek... advice was to make sure XP SP2 is installed, DirectX 9.0c and to update the gfx drivers (NVidia Quadro FX 1100).

Can't seem to determine a pattern.... thought it might be a genlock issue for sync'ed vs. un-synced sources. No dice... seems just as unhappy either way. No rhyme or reason to which input or equipment.

Hmm...

EDIT: NewTek also said they have heard about this problem, but are not yet able to reproduce it... So we're not sure if it's HW or SW related...

A
    Last edited by FEMA-HQTV; 01-25-2005 at 10:52 AM.

OK, how about reloading the software? I'm assuming you had VT[3], since you have the SX-8....... have you done a complete registry cleanout? (there are instructions here on the board - just do a search for regedit)

Since Newtek has effectively eliminated the hardware, I'm guessing that your problem is in the software. There might be file(s) left behind that are causing your problems.
    Jim Capillo

Beverly, MA 01915

www.cwtvproductions.com

TC User Group
    Have you tried new cables?

Ivan

Yes.
    As well as another sx 8 (Same build... 8.000000)

Are you sure you have not been smoking something strange?

New cables and an ne SX-8....Hmmmmmm....let me see...Oh here they are in my extra VT[4] stuff box. First of all, the cables and the SX-8 are least likely items to fail. Considering the cables get very little physical movement, etc. and the SX-8 is bolted in a rack mount. I really don't see them as the issue. I am guessing it is software related and eventually the offending "bug" will be found and corrected...perhaps in SP1.5.
    Bill
    www.interactivevideo.tv
    609-654-6122

Hi All,

I would like to make a comment...

I have found more issues with cables and bad SX-8's that were brand new than with the VT4 cards....

But this is a real strange happenings...So there are three of you here not able to switch if you have 3 LIVE sources hooked to inputs 1, 2, 3...Have you tried moving them around?...what sources are they, composite, y/c, or component...are you genlocking the VT as well?

Are you working with NTSC or PAL?

Did you do Core updates that took okay? Since some are using VT3 cards?

I would strongly recommend that you update to SP1...since that also corrects some sync issues that were in VT4....

Do you also have firewire sources attached?

If so disconnect them and see if this continues...one person mentioned working with a scan converter...try with a more stable source...another camera if possible.

This sound like something to do with sync...but what it is I have little clue...
    What graphics cards do you three have..and what drivers are you using?

Are you using Nvidia with or without Nview management...
    Did you select to work with multiple screens or just one...

What are the MB's you are using?

I truely wish you all good luck in finding a positive resolution.

Cheers,
    Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor

It's ALL about the light Paul Lara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FEMA-HQTV
    I'm going to be talking to NewTek today about another issue, so we'll see what they have to say.
    I'm happy to report that NewTek is having a machine exhibiting these behaviors sent to us for analysis. Stay tuned.
    Don't stream it - TriCast it!

Good news regarding Newtek's search for an answer

But this is a real strange happenings...So there are three of you here not able to switch if you have 3 LIVE sources hooked to inputs 1, 2, 3...Have you tried moving them around?...what sources are they, composite, y/c, or component...are you genlocking the VT as well?

This "missing video on program" problem happens on various inputs at various times! We had imputs on six of the first eight composit imputs. #1 thru #3 were cameras (Sony DXC-D35's) #4 and #5 were scan converters (Scan-Do Pro) and #6 was a BetacamSP VTR (Sony UVW-1800). Anyone one at any time might come up missing if taken on the program bus, but never on the preview bus! The VT[4] is not genlocked but it does contain a genlock card.

Are you working with NTSC or PAL? NTSC only

Did you do Core updates that took okay? Since some are using VT3 cards?

I have not done any core updates since my VT[4] was just recently installed new by Video Hardware Systems. It was an upgrade to a VT[3], also installed and recently core updated.

I would strongly recommend that you update to SP1...since that also corrects some sync issues that were in VT4....

An update to SP1 is planned once I return to NJ and have a moment to install it. Presently on the West coast returning new week. More will follow after the SP1 installation.

Do you also have firewire sources attached?

No firewire sources are attached. Althought two external 250GB storage drives are on the USB bus.

If so disconnect them and see if this continues...one person mentioned working with a scan converter...try with a more stable source...another camera if possible.

The scan-converters used are broadcast standard scan converters (Scan-do Pro) and were genlocked. They appeared on an external waveform monitor/vectorscope as ROCK SOLID. Plus they were only on two of the inputs and some times they would come up and other times they would not....this only happens when punched directly on the program bus on the RX-8.

This sound like something to do with sync...but what it is I have little clue...
    What graphics cards do you three have..and what drivers are you using?

The video card is Nvidia and all the settings were correct as coordinated with my dealer. I do believe that management was off and the desktop was spread over two monitors. I know there was something special we setup here so don't think it is the display settings.

Are you using Nvidia with or without Nview management...
    Did you select to work with multiple screens or just one...

What are the MB's you are using?

I truely wish you all good luck in finding a positive resolution.

Cheers,

Thanks! I hope that Newtek will discover something when the look at the machine they have coming in for evaluation.
    Bill
    www.interactivevideo.tv
    609-654-6122

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast