Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog animation

the jump into the shot has some serious problems. more weight. the turn into the little trot across the screen is weak as well. some timing and weight issues there. It almost looks like you rotoscoped everything after the jump in, cuz it's such a stark difference. the start is so weak, but it finishes almost like it's motion captured.

it seems like a dog would hop through the door and just keep on trotting almost uninterrupted in the direction he was jumping. you've got him leaning way into his landing, which looks nice and gives the impression of weight, but doesn't work for this situation. then he just darts to the side. it looks way unnatural. i'd have him jump in and go straight into a trot, but have him continue in the direction of his jump for three or four steps, then circle to his left, rather than lunge. Hope this makes sense...

also, most of your secondary motion (tail, ears) could use some polishing. the right ear defies gravity on the jump in, but the motion for the tail is pretty much there, it may just be a matter of tweaking your curves...
    Last edited by Capel; 11-22-2004 at 10:03 PM.
    "I bite my tongue every time you come around. Cuz blood in my mouth beats blood on the ground."

-Incubus

Pretty much everything you said is spot on. The second half is good because I redid it once. Its first incarnation was also lacking in weight, especially where it turns to sit down.
    I think it also got a lot better at the end because I started to get a "feel" for how
    a quadruped creature moves, timing, weight etc. I'm assuming you watched it frame by frame?

"then he just darts to the side. it looks way unnatural"

Hahahaha, you woulda loved it before I added about 4 extra frames, talk about fast But really, this sized dog can change direction with a lot less than 4 steps, i've seen my dog do it many times.

"also, most of your secondary motion (tail, ears) could use some polishing."

This anim only has about half a day into it, not much polishing done at all, and
    is not likely to get it... This was allready shown to the client who was blown away by it, we did not get the deal but I did the animation anyway because I knew what they where going to get from anyone else in this state would be bad, I was right and they want to use me for their animation in the future... I only had 5 days to model, animate, texture and render it, thankfully my sister helped with the textures.

"but it finishes almost like it's motion captured."

I guess thats a good thing, although I personally hate mo-cap animation.

Thanks for the feeds, allways appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by hairy_llama
    But really, this sized dog can change direction with a lot less than 4 steps, i've seen my dog do it many times.
    Even so, it still doesn't look right...
    "I bite my tongue every time you come around. Cuz blood in my mouth beats blood on the ground."

-Incubus

"Even so, it still doesn't look right..."

Yep, and I agree.

i think you should clean this up... it could be a really good piece for your reel. speaking of which, do you have a site, or more of your work posted anywhere? i'd like to check it out...

-Incubus

Yeah, go to dv3productions.com click on the M (media) button then play the animation reel, the commercials reel also has some animated spots on it... as you can see I do a lot more VFX type work than character animation but I'm thinking about focusing on more character animation... I was not gona put the dog on my reel
    but maybe I should tweek it some more and use it... Do you rig all of your characters? I really hate rigging and that keeps me from animating... maybe its just LW's way of rigging but I find it a real pain in the ***... I allmost feel like just going
    100% FK.
    If you have any good rigs you use in LW I would LOVE to take a look at em...

hey i checked out that reel. some pretty cool stuff on there...

as for rigging in lw, hmmmm... how to not piss everyone off..... in all honesty, LW's character animation tools are it's weakest, imho. Modeling's all fine and good, and i prefer it's modeler to any other, but after animating in maya, i could never go back. figuratively speaking. of course if my next job is animating in LW i'm gonna do it.

the tools for rigging and animation in Maya are it's real strengths... the amount of tweaking you can do to your curves is amazing, and the workflow just feels alot better...

of course with LW8, the tools are getting better, and i'm sure eventually they'll be up there, but as for right now, i'm using maya at work and for my personal stuff.

my workflow right now is, model in LW, (soon) detail/displacement maps in ZBrush, rig and animate in Maya, render back in LW. that way i'm using the strengths of each package...

ok, my rant is done....

-Incubus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12