Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 76

Thread: Goin' Mac. How is the experience?

  1. #61
    PC-killer Ge4-ce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by JML
    I agree with most of the stuff you said Ge4-ce

    3D needs a lot of power, and you can't do that on a cheap PC, or by buying a computer meant to use office related software

    you get can really good PC when going to renderbox,alienware,hypersonic-pc,voodoopc,etc...
    but it's going to be more expensive than a average dell and very close to a mac.

    the best way is to build it yourself (but as you said you need some hardware knowledge)
    (I went on a website to price a computer with good components, and after that I went on newegg.com to price each components... by building it yourself, you could
    save 700$) (pretty good I think)
    Hmm.. Yes.. offcourse, when you build stuff yourself, you can always save money. But in a business, that's not quite fair.

    Or, you buy stuff fully operational, (BOXX, Alienware, .. the other brands you named)

    Or you hire some computerscientist who keep put those parts together into a computer.

    Or you do it all by yourself, (learning, buying parts and assambly) but have to count the time you are useless to make some 3D stuff. (and thus making money)

    If you count it together, you will get the same price.

    Roughly said, I set-up my Mac in 1 hour, software installation and everything. Most of the time waiting for the files to copy.

    If you are a genious in computerscience, and you can order the parts, search the cheapest prices, assambly the CPU and install all the software in let me say a day (wich is fairly optimistic) and you save 700 bucks on the installation.

    1 day I charge about 400 bucks a day (roughly) so you won 300 bucks here...

    Then you have to count the learning curve "how to become a computer expert" to know what parts belong to eachother etc. etc.

    So in the long run, You win. But I'm not a computer expert. And have no intention to go on a pricehunt for parts to save 700 bucks when I can win 400 and 1 hour of setup.

    But everyone makes his/her own choices
    __________________________________________________ _



    Koen Delbroek
    D4motion
    www.d4motion.be
    [email protected]

  2. #62
    PC-killer Ge4-ce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck
    You said:



    You are putting words into my mouth that have nothing to do with what I actually said. I did not accuse you of making any "wild assumptions" - I just took the time to reassure you that your statement about this or anything else falling into a "whenever vortex" was not a correct assessment of the situation, and that the development team is working to get the situation resolved, just as they were telling you in the messages that you sent to me in your PM.

    The problems were not as a simple as the team originally thought and the issues involved actually affect both platforms, and are not in fact exclusive to the Mac platform.
    I like where this is going..

    hum hum...


    FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDD FFFFFFFFIIIIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHTTT!!

    __________________________________________________ _



    Koen Delbroek
    D4motion
    www.d4motion.be
    [email protected]

  3. #63
    it's really not that hard, a lot of people do it...
    and even if you don't know the components market well, you can go
    to one of those webiste like boxxtech,hypersonic,etc... and write down
    which parts they use...

    but it's right , that doesn't work for business, which the best choice
    is probably companies like boxtech,etc...

    nobody wins, just different preferences...

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf
    Wasn't BeOS based on a db file system?
    Didn't the Amiga allow you to change program languages on the fly? (Now try changing the language of any new OS ... arghh....)

    We're still ways of a "perfect" OS, and many things now touted as "NEW" have been there before.
    Use whatever suits you best and get some work done

    Cheers,
    Mike
    BeOS was based on an indexed file system. Tiger and WinFS are based on a relational database for the metadata of all your files. The Mac OS has had an indexed file system for years now too, but more limited. It's the reason searches in the Mac OS are many, many, many times faster than searches in Windows. The HSFS and HSFS+ file systems automatically index your file info when the file is written or copied (content within a file has to be manually indexed, but can be automatically scheduled). Tiger expands on that with expanded metadata features and a relational database with a plug-in architecture to make it easy for developers to plug their application file formats into it (NT could plug into it and you could sort your models based on polygon count, for example).

    Here's an example -- I received an MP3 file from a friend through iChat. A few weeks later, I did a search in Tiger (beta) for my friend's name and in the grouped results, that MP3 file was listed. Why? Because I received it from my friend and Tiger put tags on the file that I received it from my friend. Ever get attachments via email and save them and forget where you saved them? Type the name of the person who sent you the file...

    It's wonderful stuff.

    What Tiger is going to do in possibly two months (if you believe the rumor that it's going to ship at MacWorld) is definitely new. The idea isn't new, but neither was a hard drive-based MP3 player when the iPod debuted. Apple is really good at taking existing ideas and then doing it better than anyone else. They have a passion for making their products easy to use and really well designed, from the CEO down.

    The point is Microsoft makes billions in profit every quarter and they couldn't get WinFS in Longhorn out the door on time. It's really amazing. They actually pulled programmers off of Longhorn to get SP2 out the door.

    Oh, and Apple's Copland project had a db file system back in the 90's. What year was that? 1995?

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by JML
    it's really not that hard, a lot of people do it...
    and even if you don't know the components market well, you can go
    to one of those webiste like boxxtech,hypersonic,etc... and write down
    which parts they use...

    but it's right , that doesn't work for business, which the best choice
    is probably companies like boxtech,etc...

    nobody wins, just different preferences...
    I own PCs and Macs. I have extensive experience with PCs, for well over a decade.

    Being able to build your own PC is a blessing and a curse. One reason PCs have a lot more incompatibilities and hardware issues is because there are a million different configurations. That's the reason you see high-end software only supporting specific "supported" PC configs.

    The Mac hardware can have issues, but it's much, much, much more rare than on the PC. Just go to the Canon digital camera support pages for XP and then OS X and it hits you in the face, the difference in the experience between the two.

    My problem is not with PC hardware, but it is with Windows. There are a lot more hassles and issues with Windows. You have to consider a lot more in Windows to keep a smooth running system, and even when you do everything perfectly, you can still get screwed. I don't have to consider anything in OS X - not viruses, not spyware, not adware, not DLLs when I uninstall something, not the Registry, not shared IRQs (less of an issue today, admittedly, but still comes up now and then).

    But again, the first poster on this thread said he/she was switching to the Mac. Ask him/her why that is the case.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by policarpo
    I only have experience with 3 apps of 3D on the OSX side of things, and in all honesty, they run very well and are very stable and feel pretty much like they do on the PC. I won't mention what they are, cause well...ya know...I've ruffled too many feathers so far, but Blabberlicious knows of what I speak.
    Strata is much faster on the Mac, according to benchmarks.

    Maxon's Mac support with Cinema 4D seems to be really good. They were out with a G5-optimized update right away. I think Cinema 4D XL compares with LW, feature-wise. Correct me if I'm wrong.

    I haven't used Maya. Anyone can register with their support forum and talk to the users about the Mac support.

  7. #67
    from tallscot :
    - Being able to build your own PC is a blessing and a curse.-
    yes, it all depend if you know what you are doing

    - "The Mac hardware can have issues, but it's much, much, much more rare than on the PC"-

    that's because there are much much much less hardware choices on the mac.
    there are no miracle hardware, there are less issue on macs because they
    choose which components they are going to put inside, and try to have the drivers work fine.
    if they would let you choose between hundreds of motherboard and memory type,and harddrive types,etc... you would have a lot more issue.

    ---My problem is not with PC hardware, but it is with Windows. There are a lot more hassles and issues with Windows. You have to consider a lot more in Windows to keep a smooth running system, and even when you do everything perfectly, you can still get screwed. I don't have to consider anything in OS X - not viruses, not spyware, not adware, not DLLs when I uninstall something, not the Registry, not shared IRQs (less of an issue today, admittedly, but still comes up now and then). -----

    yes with windows, you can get a lot of programs, and some of them are bad, and
    some are excelent, you should take some precautions while installing suspicious softwares or surfing the web,
    I and other people I know have an antivirus and firewall and I never had any problem.
    a lot of people just ignore the windows security updates and don't have any ani-virus and after they complain..
    mac OSx have a good security , but it does not have a super wonderful security system as you (and others) seem to believe, there are just less ('evil') programs out there or hackers to harm it

    --But again, the first poster on this thread said he/she was switching to the Mac. Ask him/her why that is the case.--

    that's fine he/she wants to switch, if it's works better for her/him, then it's good. the thread quickly turned into another fight, I just added my opinion.
    Last edited by JML; 11-16-2004 at 11:49 AM.

  8. #68
    From policarpo :
    -- PC or Mac, it doesn't really matter as long as you are doing good work. --

    agree !

  9. #69
    yes, it all depend if you know what you are doing

    Nope. Even if you know what you are doing, there are more incompatibilities and more issues with PC hardware. If you know what you are doing, you can overcome them more easily, but the issues exist.

    that's because there are much much much less hardware choices on the mac.
    there are no miracle hardware, there are less issue on macs because they
    choose which components they are going to put inside, and try to have the drivers work fine.
    if they would let you choose between hundreds of motherboard and memory type,and harddrive types,etc... you would have a lot more issue.


    That was my point about it being a blessing and a curse. I said the Mac has fewer issues because it has fewer hardware configurations. I meant there is less choice, thus there are fewer problems. However, that isn't the only reason there are fewer problems.

    Problems are created because of the design of the OS and the hardware too. It's impossible for me to have an IRQ issue on the Mac because the Mac doesn't have IRQs. It's impossible for me to have missing DLLs on the Mac because the Mac doesn't have DLLs. There are ZERO known OS X viruses. There is no spyware in OS X.

    you should take some precautions while installing suspicious softwares or surfing the web,
    I and other people I know have an antivirus and firewall and I never had any problem


    Yes, I do all that on my PCs too. I don't have to consider any of it on the Mac.

    but it does not have a super wonderful security system as you (and others) seem to believe, there are just less ('evil') programs out there or hackers to harm it

    And the Web browser doesn't automatically install ActiveX plug-ins...

    You are assuming that OS and system design do not affect the potential problems, when they make a great deal of difference.

    The holes and security issues with MS software relates greatly to the design of Windows and IE.

    that's fine he/she wants to switch, if it's works better for her/him, then it's good. the thread quickly turned into another fight, I just added my opinion.

    I realize that. I am too. I disagree with the notion that XP and OS X are the same in regards to problems and issues. This couldn't be farther from the truth. XP requires a lot more hand-holding and has more hassles and issues than OS X, in my opinion. I can point you to support pages for peripherals that work on both platforms as evidence and I can point to XP support forums loaded with problems that don't exist on the Mac.

    I support XP PCs myself with friends and neighbors.

    I am trying to be objective here, though. PC hardware gives you more choice and more custom configurations. You get more bang for the buck at the lower end (I think the dual 2.5 Ghz G5 is a good deal). There are more games on Windows and more software.

    The Mac has less choice, but it has less problems and I think the OS is superior. For many people, the Mac has enough choice in hardware and software. There are more games on Windows, but I have enough games on my Mac. There are pro 3D cards on the PC, but I'm happy with the 3D card I have (I did a poll on the LW PC forum on which 3D card everyone uses and not one responded with a "pro" 3D card).

  10. #70
    I respect your opinions tallscot.
    let's do some 3D now




    (in case you want to know, there is a setting in internet explorer to disable "automatically install ActiveX plug-ins" , go in tools/internet options/security/customlevels, I don't know how it's set by default but you can change it there..)

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by policarpo

    I say **** the OS and embrace the creative spirit.

    Cheers.
    Uless the OS says #[email protected]% to you first!!!!

  12. #72
    PC-killer Ge4-ce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by archiea
    Uless the OS says #[email protected]% to you first!!!!
    And so we go on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on andon and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and...

    the people winning this conquest of Flaming Platformwars are probably the ones that are working instead of answering these kinda arguments..
    __________________________________________________ _



    Koen Delbroek
    D4motion
    www.d4motion.be
    [email protected]

  13. #73
    LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Pessac
    Posts
    5,072
    Hi all,

    This thread reminds me of the comp.sys.amiga.advocacy usenet newsgroup. It was full of PC owners (and a sprinkling of Mac owners too) coming in and saying why the Amiga was rubbish. There were quite a few Amiga owners that responded with the day's equivalent to the "lack of viruses and spyware" argument, but it was swiftly pointed out by competing-platform hawks that this was because no-one cared enough about the Amiga to damage it with viruses or spyware... that being said, the Amiga was probably the first of the platforms to be concerned with Virus Checkers, etc...

    Just wanted to point out that "plus įa change, plus c'est la męme chose"...

    B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

  14. #74
    ShortsightedSithAssassin
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,948
    Aye, and many a mickle macks a muckle.

    As they say in Scotland.

  15. #75
    LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Pessac
    Posts
    5,072
    According to a Walkers Crisps campaign of the eighties, Scottish people also say "Ye'll no be having a sale, will ye?"

    B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •