Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Goin' Mac. How is the experience?

Angry

I guess I've been too charitable giving NT the benefit of the doubt. I've been dealing with irritating nonsensical crashing, poor graphics performance and dopey bugs (eps import anyone?) and I just keep hoping that the next set of drivers or app increment will make it right. Is Newtek turning into Hash?

Bugginess aside, what are other people experience with 3D apps performance on the Mac? I've heard great things about the responsiveness of Modo, but Modeler isn't the minefield Animator is. Modeler 8 isn't as brisk as 7.5 but it doesn't fold or corrupt like Animator. Does Maya suffer from the Mac curse? I only have experience with LW, formZ, Electric Image and Zbrush. FZ and EI definitely suffered from the migration to OSX, but I have no frame of reference with LW and ZB.

rg
    Last edited by gatz; 11-14-2004 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gatz
    Does Maya suffer from the Mac curse? I only have experience with LW, formZ, Electric Image and Zbrush. FZ and EI definitely suffered from the migration to OSX, but I have no frame of reference with LW and ZB.

rg

I only have experience with 3 apps of 3D on the OSX side of things, and in all honesty, they run very well and are very stable and feel pretty much like they do on the PC. I won't mention what they are, cause well...ya know...I've ruffled too many feathers so far, but Blabberlicious knows of what I speak.
    policarpo|visual designer
    http://www.policarpo.us

"think what you will.
    will what you think.
    anything less is pure folly."

- something to live by

Pixel realestate agent
    3D apps max on, i mean 3d apps on macs run excellent. I think the problem is see2 biasness which makes intel chips the leader in optimisations.

Modeller runs excellent on osx, BUT rendering is slower and much SMPT isnt there like it is on pcs'

This thread is really hilarious. Someone says that they are switching from Mac to PC and people immediately start fighting about which one is better and PC users say there are no problems with a Windows PC.

This person obviously thinks there is something wrong with Windows PCs, otherwise he/she wouldn't be switching.

So I think the fact that this person wants to switch makes the "there are no problems with Windows" argument moot.

So why argue about which platform is better? It's irrelevant to this thread. Ask the first poster why he/she wants to leave Windows PCs instead.

To answer the first post of this thread -- I have a dual 2.5 Ghz G5 with 4.5 gigs RAM (4 gigs of which are from Crucial) and an nVidia 6800 and my raytrace score is the fastest on on Chris' LW Benchmarks. The Hummer scene plays in OpenGL in real time. I'm not a LW expert yet, but it seems to run fine on this setup.

I use DVD Studio Pro, FCP, Motion, AE (fastest on the Mac), InDesign CS, Illustrator CS, Photoshop CS, Flash MX 2004...and the Mac experience is wonderful.

The best Web browser is on OS X:
    http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/gallery/

Read this for a great review of a Mac-only application that sums up the Mac experience realy well:
    http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/...us-library.ars

OS X Tiger is an amazing OS, years before Longhorn will ship, and OS X Tiger will have WinFS and Longhorn won't.

It's a great time to move to the Mac.

What's WinFS?
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by toby
    What's WinFS?
    The new file system for Longhorn that uses a database to store metadata. It was a huge part of Longhorn's new features and Microsoft couldn't get it done in time so they decided to take it out of Longhorn so that they could get Longhorn out by 2006.

The idea is this -- you have a lot of files on your HD and they are all structured with a lot of folders so you can find what you need. What if you could use your file system (the Finder) like you use iTunes -- all files in one folder (if you want) and these files are tagged with metadata and key words. If you need a Photoshop file for project X, you bring it up without having to go to the Project X:Photoshop folder. You don't have to navigate hard drives anymore.

Tiger has this. Longhorn won't until 2008 or 2009, maybe later.

Quote Originally Posted by tallscot

Tiger has this. Longhorn won't until 2008 or 2009, maybe later.

YES! And the big joke is that this feature in the start was "THE NEW" feature.

Longhorn is basically like this:

If Microsoft would build a car called Longhorn, then it would be announced somewhere in 2000 (don't know for sure) to get on the shelves in 2004. This car has a totally new look, and can fly! In 2004 however, they cannot get the car ready, and are looking for an old car called XP to fill up the holes in the new car. Also, the Flying-engine called "WinFS" has been cancelled because then the car wouldn't be ready until 2008 or later.
    __________________________________________________ _

Koen Delbroek
    D4motion
    www.d4motion.be
    [email protected]

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Wasn't BeOS based on a db file system?
    Didn't the Amiga allow you to change program languages on the fly? (Now try changing the language of any new OS ... arghh....)

We're still ways of a "perfect" OS, and many things now touted as "NEW" have been there before.
    Use whatever suits you best and get some work done

Cheers,
    Mike

you don't seem to use windows Ge4-ce , so why would
    you care that longhorn is delayed?!

XP is great 'car' , did you even use it?
    (great car depending on your hardware again)

you guys keep on complaining on PCs and windows like they are all the same,
    and they are not !

we have 3 PCs here from dell and they run with nt2000 and XP and with totally different hardware.
    2 of them are bad (cheap computer=bad components=bad drivers) the other is really good (was more expensive)
    we also have 5 renderboxxes with NT are those ones are good too.

I got my personal computer 2 years ago, custom built, with some of the best component at the time (but pricy), and still now (after overclocking it) it still top of the line.
    it works super great with everything (but again, it was more expensive than a everage dell)

I would not want to know what kind of hardware they put in a 500$ dell (including screen) and I would not want to work on one of those either.

there are thousands of thousands of hardware parts you can put in a PC, from the motherboard to a case fan, and they are all NOT created equal (some motherboards are good, some are bad, some memory is slow, some are fast,etc...)

How I wish for the days of small apps that would fit on a floppy, computers that could be attached to TV screens, machines based on Motorola processors... sigh, ah nostalgia...

B
    PS. It's amazing that we had to wait until 2004 for an OS on the PC or Mac that didn't need to be regularly rebooted when we had one back in 1990...
    Last edited by BeeVee; 11-16-2004 at 07:31 AM.
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by blabberlicious
    Just heard back from Scott at NT - that the (Broken) Bone Tools aren't going to be available to mac users until...

...well he couldn't actually tell me. Maybe ready for the next Point release (whenever that is), or perhaps not, as they are still 'in progress'.

So it's slipped into the NT 'whenever' vortex, along with all the other stuff.
    Pleased rest assured that the Bone Tools issues have not slipped into any vortex; it is taking some time to be clear on on the source of some of the issues, but Peter, Scott and Steve are all devoting attention to getting the matter resolved. The goal is to have that corrected for the next point release. Scott is a cautious communicator so he doesn't like to make promises. It would not be correct to assume from that behavior that this issue or anything else that may have been discussed in such qualified terms is not being worked on.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc., Vizrt Group
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Quote Originally Posted by JML
    you don't seem to use windows Ge4-ce , so why would
    you care that longhorn is delayed?!

XP is great 'car' , did you even use it?
    (great car depending on your hardware again)

you guys keep on complaining on PCs and windows like they are all the same,
    and they are not !

we have 3 PCs here from dell and they run with nt2000 and XP and with totally different hardware.
    2 of them are bad (cheap computer=bad components=bad drivers) the other is really good (was more expensive)
    we also have 5 renderboxxes with NT are those ones are good too.

I got my personal computer 2 years ago, custom built, with some of the best component at the time (but pricy), and still now (after overclocking it) it still top of the line.
    it works super great with everything (but again, it was more expensive than a everage dell)

Well, I will quote myself here earlier in this thread:

Quote: "It's all about the quality of PC products.. Policarpo, you have a BOXX system. They are very known for their quality on 3D front. And there are other systems around there wich are very good PC's.

end quote.

And as a matter of fact, I do work with PC's I'v worked with dosens of PC's over years. Of wich there are only a few wich actually worked properly. And yes, those were also customised models and very expensive.

Well let me give you my opinion then.

I DO believe like I quoted, that there are good PC's out there... Macs however are not customised! They are set up by Apple and properly installed by Apple. They know what's in it, and write the drivers for it. I do not say all things go well 100% of the time. But I do find they work properly 99% of the time.

Can you agree with me that if I say:

-There are good PC's out there, but you have have a good knowledge and a good PC manufacturer to assamble this machine (like BOXX or like yourself) And to be realistic, in how many stores in the world would you buy a PC to do your work? (if you are not a real computer expert and depend on what the store tells you) ???

- I think it is highly fair to state that 80% of the PC business sells computers, NOT suited for 3D. This is why 80% of the computers bought there have problems with doing all kinds of stuff.

- If you buy a Powermac, you know for 99% sure that you bought something that is supposed to work for what you bought it. (again, it does not always!)

- If you buy a decent PC, you bleed as much money as buying a Mac

- a lot of people state that you can do the same with a cheap PC and therefor, Macs are expensive=> NOT
    __________________________________________________ _

Koen Delbroek
    D4motion
    www.d4motion.be
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck
    it would not be correct to assume from that behavior that this issue or anything else that may have been discussed in such qualified terms is not being worked on.
    Who did? Not me.

Perhaps you could post NT's position to the people to the other thread, I'm sure they'll be please to hear from NT:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=24379

BTW I've sent you a PM with the correspondence I received from NT, on which I based my 'wild assumptions'.

:-(
    Steve Williams | d i g f r e a k | UK

Mac: Dual 2.5GHZ G5, 2g Ram, ATi 128 OSX 10.3.7

PC: AMD 64 X2 Dual Core +3800, Quadro FX 1300, 2 GiG Ram

I agree with most of the stuff you said Ge4-ce

3D needs a lot of power, and you can't do that on a cheap PC, or by buying a computer meant to use office related software

you get can really good PC when going to renderbox,alienware,hypersonic-pc,voodoopc,etc...
    but it's going to be more expensive than a average dell and very close to a mac.

the best way is to build it yourself (but as you said you need some hardware knowledge)
    (I went on a website to price a computer with good components, and after that I went on newegg.com to price each components... by building it yourself, you could
    save 700$) (pretty good I think)

Quote Originally Posted by blabberlicious
    Who did? Not me.
    You said:

So it's slipped into the NT 'whenever' vortex, along with all the other stuff.
    You are putting words into my mouth that have nothing to do with what I actually said. I did not accuse you of making any "wild assumptions" - I just took the time to reassure you that your statement about this or anything else falling into a "whenever vortex" was not a correct assessment of the situation, and that the development team is working to get the situation resolved, just as they were telling you in the messages that you sent to me in your PM.

The problems were not as a simple as the team originally thought and the issues involved actually affect both platforms, and are not in fact exclusive to the Mac platform.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc., Vizrt Group
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast