Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goin' Mac. How is the experience?

Goin' Mac. How is the experience?

I'm switching from PC to Mac. Is the Mac/LW experience the same as the PC/LW experience? With the exception of being able to run a few plugins, I shouldn't notice any difference right?

The only down side to switching to Mac I see is not being able to run DFX+ (which I am willing to sell for $700 with dongle if anyone is interested).

Welcome on the Mac side... For Lightwave, on lightwave 8 , we have some problems with some graphic cards, but if you buy a powermac G5, with ati 9600 or 9800, there 's no problem.
    And OS X is truly stable, and user friendly.

For the rest, i never use a PC...

Thanks for the confidence in the two working together

I remember with 7.5 that mac users didn't seem to be as happy with LW as the PC users. I think Newtek has made some progress in this area and that (if it were the case) it is no longer the case.

Good to hear!

If you still have an option, I'd stick with the PC. The 3D experience and LW experience is so much better on the PC than it is on the Mac. I own both platforms and can honestly say this.

The Mac is only a nicer choice because of the OSX experience.

However, if you plan on doing modo, shake and FCP, well then, the Mac is solid.
    policarpo|visual designer
    http://www.policarpo.us

"think what you will.
    will what you think.
    anything less is pure folly."

- something to live by

The Mac experience is fine with me. I also own both platforms and just plain cannot be bothered with Winblows.. I also prefer OSX and my Apple Cinema Display. I guess it depends on your system, your configuration and what exactly you do with LW.

Me no like windows either

This last windows service pack and all of its annoying little enhancements has to go! Another big plus for the Macs are the displays. Mac displays make you want to turn on the computer and work-especially helpful when you have to get it done.

And quiet! I can't believe how quiet the new G5s are. I looked into making my PC quiet but it was to much of a pain.

Buy what you can afford and use it to the max.

PC or Mac, it doesn't really matter as long as you are doing good work.

Macs are nice because of the UI experience and hardware...other than this, it's just a tool to get work done. I love working on my PowerBook as much as I like working on my Dual Xeon from BOXX.

I say **** the OS and embrace the creative spirit.

Creation is all that matters. You can do this on either platform and do it well.

But, if you can own and work on both...you benefit ten fold.

Cheers.

"think what you will.
    will what you think.

- something to live by

ShortsightedSithAssassin
    Don't listen to Policarpo - he talks way too much sense!! Throw caution to the wind and come over to the light side! Mac Users are classier, more smartly dressed, cleverer and have better sex than PC users - FACT*

* though not actually corroborated by any independent research body

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mole
    Don't listen to Policarpo - he talks way too much sense!! Throw caution to the wind and come over to the light side! Mac Users are classier, more smartly dressed, cleverer and have better sex than PC users - FACT*

* though not actually corroborated by any independent research body
    Hahahahahahahahah! How's that kool-aid treating you these days?

"think what you will.
    will what you think.

- something to live by

lw is the only software that made me purchase a pc.
    lw on pc is definitely faster and offers much more than on the mac.
    still, i use mac 95% of my lw time.
    frustration around pc & windows makes "my" lw productivity time still better on a mac.

We switched from Mac to PC years ago because Mac was terrible for 3D, things have improved but IMO 3D is better on PC (especially for LightWave).
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

I don't understand comments like this? You make it sound like the PC is just cobbled together with duct tape and glue...and that it will fall apart at any second.

I have had a PC for over 6 years alongside my Macs, and neither platform has given me that much problem. I just turn the machines on, do my work, and turn them off. They perform exactly as intended...although...3D in general on the PC is a more pleasant experience than it is on the Mac.

Why do people have such "problems" with Windows? Do people not know how to properly setup a machine? Just wondering?

"think what you will.
    will what you think.

- something to live by

policarpo, this is only my experience.
    10 very pc skillful people [some of them use lw] tried to "setup" my pc [that was built by professionals] and help me but none of them succeeded.
    it works and it doesn't. when there is no problem lw flies on it.
    on the other hand, all my macs work.
    they are slower with lw but everything runs smoothly.
    again, 'my experience' with lightwave on pc and mac.

Didn't mean to start a war but its good to hear from others on the front lines!

Thanks for all of the comments. I wanted to hear from others who live on the computer and to be sure that eating only spam sandwiches for the next month was worth it.

I'm hoping that Apple will give some news about the G5 laptop before X-mas. I'm only doing stills for print ads right now so I would sacrifice the speed of the dual to be able to sit on the couch with the old lady while I work and she watches "Life Time".

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty
    Thanks for all of the comments. I wanted to hear from others who live on the computer and to be sure that eating only spam sandwiches for the next month was worth it.

I'm hoping that Apple will give some news about the G5 laptop before X-mas. I'm only doing stills for print ads right now so I would sacrifice the speed of the dual to be able to sit on the couch with the old lady while I work and she watches "Life Time".
    If you are doing Print Res work, I'd avoid a laptop, since renders could take several hours to render, and this would produce excessive heat on the laptop (not a good thing over the life of the laptop).

If you are going for a Mac, invest in the Dual G5 (it will be cheaper or about the same price as the new PowerBook).

Laptops are great for doing work on and traveling with and going to meetings with, but I wouldn't depend on them for Print Res renderings. Any chance you could get a cheap P4 3ghz Desktop to offload renders to?

Cheers.

"think what you will.
    will what you think.

- something to live by

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast