Thread: compilers for Mac OS X

compilers for Mac OS X

am I correct in thinking that I have to use some version of codewarrior to compile plugins for LW? There seems to be a large choice of compilers for the PC side of the world but only an expensive choice for us Mac (non-student) users, unless someone knows better.
    Her hair glistened in the rain like nose hair
    after a sneeze.

Mac Compilers

I don't know of any specifics, but I think if you look into gcc, you should find it available for most any platform. Don't be nervous that it's free, it's used daily by many high end programming shops.
    Ride the Light, it does your Aura good!

Stuper Member
    Apple provides Xcode tools - http://developer.apple.com/tools/macosxtools.html free of charge. To download you may need a developer account but you can get an entry level one for free.

I got the impression from another thread sometime ago that it wasnt possible to use the xcode tools to build LW plugins, not that I know anything about this yet! Has this changed recently then? Isnt xcode built on the GCC tools?
    Her hair glistened in the rain like nose hair
    after a sneeze.

Think that's correct, XCode, which uses GCC, is not suitable for LW plugins, because LW is no Mach-O application (the native BSD and therefor OS X executable format AFAIK) but CFM ("Code Fragment Manager") binaries that were also used by OS 9.

Although i don't know about the exact mixtures of APIs and binary formats available in OS X it seems that LW is not able to link to Mach-O shared libraries (plugins), so XCode is no option.

Think someone said that you can use MPW, but i don't know if that works for OS X or only OS 9...i'm just a PC coder and leave the Mac OS compiles to other people