Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LScript "Wish List"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

LScript "Wish List"

Hello everyone,

We would like to hear from all of you as to what your "wish list" of LScript features is. What would make your job as a scripter easier? Shoot for the sky here. I want to come up with a list that we can cull from for the next major release of LScript.

Go!

Art
    H2MW Consultants, LLC
    e-mail: [email protected]
    http://www.h2mw.com

Charter HardCORE member masterchief's Avatar
    How about LScript Editor that can be customized with its own macro programming language for starters. Lots of ideas for editor development...

The only benefit from the current LSED was being able to obtain all of the lscript templates.

Secondly, macro key recorder for modeler....

Just three (but more than enough)...
    - better LScript integration
    - everything accessible by LScript
    - better compatibility with old versions: 7.5(a/b/c/d) / 7.0 / 6.5 / 6.0 (and even older)

"LScript 2 C Converter" and a Visual Editor (LSID+LSED) should be a great add too!
    Visit 3D Recursions :: 3D Math for Art Places
    plus Attractors Art! and My own old and ancient Site!

"Everyone needs something / Sometimes they don't know why / But so much good's been misunderstood / In the blink of the eye / So I take a little bad with the good / It ain't just black and white" Iggy Pop

Quote Originally Posted by Exper
    Just three (but more than enough)...
    - better LScript integration
    - everything accessible by LScript
    - better compatibility with old versions: 7.5(a/b/c/d) / 7.0 / 6.5 / 6.0 (and even older)

"LScript 2 C Converter" and a Visual Editor (LSID+LSED) should be a great add too!
    How 'bout to C++ also?
    Triboot-

XP:Work, play, ect.
    Vista:... I don't know.
    Ubuntu: Developing on Linux also...

Pentium 4 2.8 GH
    GeForce 7600 256 MB AGP 8x
    Driver:163.75(WinXP)
    1 GB RAM

Now THIS is what we wanna hear!!! I can feel requests coming thick and faaaast!!!

I'm not massively into LScript programming, partly because I find it difficult to locate information in the docs, or the concepts aren't explained for the 'average' user.

So that's my first request - FULL, crisp, clear, easy to navigate, simple to follow, loaded with examples, documentation!

Then, these would be cool ...

Easy realtime preview drawing commands

A whole bunch of commands to make it easier to draw 'previews' of what your lscript might do would be great, for example: if I wrote an lscript that created clone arrays of the selected object, I'd love to be able to show a bounding box preview of what the layout would look like - all in realtime.

Sort the gadget layout code out!

If I use the LSID.exe (LScript Interface Designer) program to layout my interface, when it's run within LightWave it's different.

Also, at the moment it seems to take any text associated with the gadgets into account when laying out the gadgets, personally, I'd rather the X, Y, Width, Height just dealt with the gadget itself. The text should just be allowed to 'flow'.

For example, if I have a load of number gadgets layed out perfectly and I later decide to change the name of them, the layout will be screwed. This is why I suggest leaving the text out of the layout coords. Then I could change the text and the layout will be the same.

I hope that made sense, difficult to describe, if not, let me know and I'll post some images!

Open the whole deal out!

It would be great to be able to access, in full, every command, tool, window, tab etc from Lscript, nuff said!

Lscript compiler to .p

Not sure about this request, I know you can compile lscripts now to .lsc, whether they run quicker I don't know, I've never done it! However, if there was a way to compile lscripts so that they run as quick as .p plugins then that would be useful (obviously options to compile for Mac / PC on either machine would be just too cool!)

If that's not possible just make lscript lightening quick!

Re-write the Lscript editor suite

While they're better than nothing, LSID.exe and LSED.exe (LScript Editor) could be sooooooo much better! Drag them into the 21st Century please!

Having the two programs accessible from _within_ LightWave would be great, that way you could create, edit and tweak an Lscript all from inside LightWave - no need to keep flipping between programs.

Regarding debugging; take at look at the one for Lingo in Macromedia Director - something like that would be great!

That's all that come to mind at the moment!
    Last edited by Matt; 10-14-2004 at 10:10 AM.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Born from the frustration of another thread!

A command to find the Bounding Box of the current selection in _Layout_. Much like the command of the same name in Modeler!

Cheers
    Matt
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Some of my wishes (besides those mentioned):

1. Functional versions of all the controls that native LW uses in its panels.
    In particular:
    a. [E] & [T] buttons which I call shift-toggle/State buttons
    b. A floating point minislider - especially a ctldistance minislider
    c. Being able to associate UDF's with ALL controls
    d. Being able to pass variables into the UDF's for ALL controls (not just ctlbutton)

2. Non-modal panels in Modeler

3. Extensive keyboard and mouse detection in Modeler & Layout. Especially in the Perpective view.

4. The ability to write plugins in VB (I'm probably the only one hehe).

Somewhere, over the rainbow....

I must admit the LSED should be better. I like the interface very much and it doesn't really need any more functionality for me, but it crashes so much that I have long since given up on it, so I write all my coding in notepad.

If anybody caught my thread earlier you know I would love to have a real minislider that holds distances as well.

Charter HardCORE member masterchief's Avatar
    used LSED last night for several hours, crashed on me so much.

I wish for a LScript plugin for MS Visual Studio .Net

I've never had LSED crash on me, as much as I can remember, but it has exhibited odd behaviour like lines disappearing when I delete newlines or copy and paste, normal editing things like that...
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Quote Originally Posted by masterchief
    used LSED last night for several hours, crashed on me so much.

I wish for a LScript plugin for MS Visual Studio .Net

I don't know how exatly this works beacuse I dont use Visual Studio, but you might find it useful.

http://www.interialabs.de/lw/lscript...s/lsutils.html

I would like to thank those who have posted for the wonderful ideas. For those of you who are lurking and have yet to post, please do so!

I will begin putting together a master list of all the ideas presented here and will post it early next week. From there we can begin discussing them in further detail.

Art
    H2MW Consultants, LLC
    e-mail: [email protected]
    http://www.h2mw.com

Newbie Member

What I'd Want In LScript

Hi -- I am *SO* glad you asked.

I'm a mostly nonprofessional user, software engineer by day, pixels for my art wank friends at night.

I would love to be in your beta list for reviewing changes and doc. API's and languages are my favorite things. -- [email protected] .
    ---------
    Ok.

I like to use LScript to build complicated models algorithmically, and I'd *like* to use it to build complicated scenes and animations algorithmically as well.

So what gets in my way?

1. I've found quirks -- probably bugs -- when trying to create geometry from nothing. I had to start with a "stockpile" of quads and my Modeler script manipulated those. It just seems like LScript is pretty loose.

2. Documentation. I couldn't find a list of all the available commands, sorted out in any complete fashion. If I remember rightly, I somehow guessed the command "imageload" or "loadimage", to build up a lot surfaces programmatically.

3. Yes, anything you can do from the GUI should be scriptable. (It seems like Maya has this story architecturally pretty tight.) In Modeler, would be nice to have that command-execution view like in Layout, so you can see what the LScript would be.

And, since you said Shoot for the Sky here, I'll go ahead and say it:

JavaScript would be a nice scripting language for LightWave. It's the language that Adobe has standardized on for their applications, and that alone makes it worth considering. But, really, it is well suited for application scripting. And you can buy a book about the language from the corner bookshop, which can save you some work.

Hey, you said shoot for the sky!

-- David Van Brink / [email protected]
    -------------------
    Its origin, and
    purpose, still,
    a total mystery.

well i was going to add to this list but everyone else has covered my request

LScript 2 C

Why can't a plugin written in LScript be machine translated into C?

In principle, a plugin written in lscript could be machine translated into one written in C, but the result wouldn't be any more efficient. The speed benefits associated with C have more to do with the greater set of choices that C makes available to the programmer. But once a program is written those choices are no longer available. It is the programmer that produces optimised code through the choices he or she makes. All the language does is provide more or less choices. And relative to LScript, C provides more choices.

So a machine that takes a plugin written in LScript and trys to optimise it through rewriting it in C would have to decide what sort of choices could be made had the plugin been written in C instead of the choices that were made having been written in LScript. And it would have to make the right choices, ie. those that lead to more efficient code rather than less.

In other words the machine would need to possess the same cunning and ingenuity we otherwise associate with programmers.

Carl

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast