Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: LScript "Wish List"

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stib
    Hey I'm no programmer - I learned all my Java writing expressions in After Effects, but once I'd read a chapter or two of a "Java in ten easy lessons" book I had the gist.
    I thought AE uses JavaScript, and not Java?

But yeah, plugable scripting would be neat (XSI that is, not Maya ! ).

Cheers,
    Mike

Like I said IANAP. What's the difference between java script and java?
    2 × Xeon 2690 - 20 cores @ 3GHz, 2 × NVIDIA GeForce Titan Black 6GB, 64GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro
    MacBook Pro, Intel Core i7 2.6Ghz, El Capitan

nerdiness and free stuff at my blob

Quote Originally Posted by stib
    What's the difference between java script and java?
    http://www.firststep.com.au/educatio.../javadiff.html
    However, this is written with web based apps in mind.
    Basically JavaScript is just a subset of Java, with a completely different runtime environment.

The main difference imho:
    Java is a strongly-typed, object-oriented, complex programming language. It's a very powerful language, and easily stands along-side other object-oriented languages like C++ or Eiffel. Some of the syntax is similar to C++, but Java is a lot easier to learn and use than C++.

JavaScript is a loosely-typed language which is much simpler than Java. In complexity, it's at a similar level to BASIC.
    In many ways, LScript has a lot of similarities to JavaScript.
    I think the main gripe you have are actually issues with how the SDK, or interior of LW, is "displayed" in the scripting language.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Last edited by Lightwolf; 11-13-2004 at 06:19 AM.

I am Jack's cold sweat Karmacop's Avatar
    I haven't used basic, but I think javascript is more advanced than basic. It's sort of java without needing to set types, so yeah, in that way it's similar to lscript.

I personally don't want Newtek to use a language other than lscript because of lscript's shortfalls, I want them to use something else as then they'd have a really solid base to work from and wouldn't only need to code Lightwave commands, not "standard" stuff like dealing with strings etc.

I mean lscript was originally just AREXX with hooks into lightwave wasn't it?

Hi Karmacop,
    I'm not sure how many open Javascript interpreters there are out there to use, but there should at least be one that is a part of Mozilla.
    Another nice alternative is Lua, as used by DF.
    I did mention XSI because it actually allows you to swap scripting languages.

Ideally the host (i.e. LW) would just provide access to a hierarchy of objects and functions, which can be mapped into language specific objects, so you could swap scripting languages out.
    After all, you don't want a solution like currently implemented in Modo:
    lx_command("SetLayer 1");
    but rather
    SetLayer 1;
    And have the LW specific functions appear as part of the language.
    (A)Rexx was way ahead back then I guess

Cheers,
    Mike

Hooray for mozilla!

I've heard that about XSI, and I'd really like if lightwave allowed multiple languages too. Maybe instead of making a c++ wrapper you should make lava/javascript/c# etc wrappers

Anyway, we can only hope right?

Quote Originally Posted by Karmacop
    Maybe instead of making a c++ wrapper you should make lava/javascript/c# etc wrappers
    Are you nuts? Only whimps script
    Seriously though, it might be easier to add new scripting languages with an OO based wrapper, but I didn't think about it yet. First things first

And, after all, if we manage to make the SDK more accessable, even more so than using a scripting language, there's nothing wrong with that, is there?

Cheers,
    Mike

Hey!

The only reason I say this is because most people probably know one of these languages, or if not they are much easier to learn than C. For example, I think of myself as quite capable when using Java, but I am lost and confused when using C

For instance, I find doing anything with strings (adding, clearing etc) impossible with C ... as I know it's meant to be. Also, does C have standard regex files or is there some sort of standard ones I could get? But still, strings in C are a nightmare
    Last edited by Karmacop; 11-13-2004 at 09:55 AM.

Hi karmacop,
    this is exactly why I prefer C++. It allows you to abstract so much more, but still has the low-level options of C.
    I think the only difference between a decent C++ wrapper/API, and a OO (object oriented) scripting environment is the quicker turnaround when scripting, and less hassle setting up a compiler.
    The disadvantage is of course the performance.

And if you know Java, C++ ain't that far away...

Cheers,
    Mike

Sorry about my previous post, I said a word starting with d and it got picked up as offensive .. I'm not sure why. Anyway, it ended up looking very offensive as it said "**** you! " , when I meant it as a joke because I use Java. Hope it didn't offend you.

Anyway, I can only hope that c++ is close to java (I haven't used c++), because java is very simple and natural to me. Nothing is too low level

Hi karmacop,
    now darn you - see, it works with the right words
    And no worries as they say on your end of the world, I'm not that easily offended, especially not if you add or whatever...

I know what you mean by low-level, although, to be honest, I meant something different (low-level as in down to bit twiddling), whereas high level would be more abstract (as in working with LW meshes as a part of the programming language, or, a bit simpler like LScript, to be able to add two vectors like v= v1 + v2; )

Cheers,
    Mike

Grant access to the actual position of an object after modifiers have been applied.

Read this thread for the discussion

Here's more:
    Reveal what IA modifiers have been applied to an object and allow the programmatic disabling/enabling of these plugins.

Grant access to the actual position(time), rotation(time), and scale(time) of an object with any or all the of IA's applied.
    Last edited by GregMalick; 11-18-2004 at 06:47 PM.

Somewhere, over the rainbow....

Good suggestions Greg. I shall add them to the list.

Art
    H2MW Consultants, LLC
    e-mail: [email protected]
    http://www.h2mw.com

thanks Art,
    And please add some kinda indicator that would tell when a scene has completed loading. That way an LScript could wait to establish things like effectedby() until after all the loading and object renaming has completed. Probably useful in many other ways too.

Oh and I officially request that ObjectMan & SceneMan be resurrected to work in LW8.x Those were some nice capabailities I missed out on (and which probably broke some useful LScripts).

Oh, and don't forget about that Hawaiian coffee offer, good for one functioning E or T toggle-shift control button. heh heh

Somewhere, over the rainbow....

Suggestion: Ability to store variables in the global system clipboard

I have a script that tells me the bounding box of my selection in Modeler whose values I use for various things, mainly for changing the mirror axis to exact centres between geometry within my model.

I tried to find a way to copy the value(s) into the global system clipboard so all I had to was paste them into the Numeric panel.

I couldn't find one! If it doesn't exist already, a set of commands for cut / copy / pasting (of variables) into the system clipboard would be very useful.

Cheers
    Matt
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast