Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: LScript "Wish List"

Quote Originally Posted by GregMalick
    As already requested, knowing the X/Y X/Z XYZ Y/Z etc coordinates of the mouse in a viewport is important. ... But at least give LScript that capability to intercept the keys.
    Good call, this would allow LScripts to integrate themselves more within the LightWave inteface, one of my gripes with having too many features as add-ons is that it makes LightWave fragmented.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

LScript Native Interface

1. What I'd like to see, in addition to the available documentation (speaking of which - the Newtek inks to the pdfs have disappeared) is docs on the LScript Native Interface made public again.

2. I'd like to see development of LScript's native interface. This is not a criticism - the current native interface works extremely well. But it would be good to see some LNI functions that expose Lightwave's C interface, ie. so LScript native extensions can call back into Lightwave's existing functionality (the same as native plugins acting directly through the C interface). In the simplest case this would just mean the LNI passing LScript extensions the GlobalFunc pointer that is given to plugins.

3. I'd like to see an addition to the LNI where function calls into native object agent librarys did not directly reference OAL functions but used the same mechanism that OAL data uses, ie. through a common port. All data refererences from LNI go through an OAL's returndata() and assigndata() callbacks - which allows the OAL itself to runtime modify the names of data. If the LScript engine could route all function calls through a common port as well, it means an OAL could likewise runtime modify function names.

4. Control over how LScript is interpreted. A scriptable preprocessor? For example, I'd like to allow for the embedding of code (in a language other than LScript) within LScript. The LScript engine could runtime replace the embedded code with calls to native functions (which could be passed the embedded code as an argument to those native functions), etc.

5. Inheritance etc.

6. That's all for the time being.

Carl

I'd like to have what i need to rewrite Skelegon tree. To date, I haven't been able to ask a skelegon its name or change it for that matter.
    Go TEAM VAD!! \/

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    O.k., this may sound like a heresy, but in the long term I'd like to see LScript replaced by something like, for example Lua (www.lua.org) . Not only does it fit well into the environment (DF uses it, as well as tons of games), but you can also get generic books on it.

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf
    O.k., this may sound like a heresy, but in the long term I'd like to see LScript replaced by something like, for example Lua (www.lua.org) . Not only does it fit well into the environment (DF uses it, as well as tons of games), but you can also get generic books on it.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Just had a look at Lua. Very interesting. I love that sort of thing. Might be worth having an experiment - imbedding it as a plugin - if only as a test.

I've been experimenting with java bindings for LW.

Carl

I am Jack's cold sweat Karmacop's Avatar
    java bindings for LW? That has me interested

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carllooper
    Just had a look at Lua. Very interesting. I love that sort of thing.
    Me too. I had a look due to DF / Eyeon using it, and the integration is extremely tight. Very cool stuff. They managed to whip out fully fledged scripting support in just one release.
    ...Now compare that to LScript... ouch.

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf
    Me too. I had a look due to DF / Eyeon using it, and the integration is extremely tight. Very cool stuff. They managed to whip out fully fledged scripting support in just one release.
    ...Now compare that to LScript... ouch.

Cheers,
    Mike

Lau
    Java
    C++

I think it's worth looking at all three simultaneously. There will be an underlying specification that one could develop (in relation to all three) that could then be used to implement any one of them. Or all of them!

Java Plugins

Quote Originally Posted by Karmacop
    java bindings for LW? That has me interested
    I embedded the java virtual machine within a Lightwave plugin. I call the plugin "LavaLight". It handles the interface between Lightwave and Java written plugins.

All calls, from java written plugins, into Lightwave are just java wrapped native calls.

Lightwave itself doesn't see the java written plugins. What it sees is a "pilot" (which is just a normal plugin) runtime generated when the java written plugin is installed.

Each java written plugin has it's own corresponding pilot.

The pilot acts as the "front end" for the java written plugin. All calls from Lightwave into the java written plugin are via this pilot.

LavaLight is not available for public consumption. It's an experiment - or "proof of concept" exercise. And it works fine.

Carl

ok here is one of my wishes that im sure has been covered

redo the docs and add a ton of samples and examples please.

Quote Originally Posted by carllooper
    LavaLight is not available for public consumption. It's an experiment - or "proof of concept" exercise. And it works fine.

Carl
    If you ever need any testing or something done with it, I'm offering my help.

Exclamation

From the continuing saga.....

Request: Fix the CommRing and modify the following legacy plugins to accept parameters via the CommRing:

1. Follower
    2. Simple Orient Affectors
    3. Simple Orient Constraints
    4. Simple Point Affectors
    5. Simple Point Constraints
    6. Simple Scale Affectors
    7. Simple Scale Constraints

(more to be added later)

if it's too time consuming to fix the legacy code, open source it so we can add the CommRing functionality to these legacy plugins.
    Last edited by GregMalick; 11-08-2004 at 09:04 PM.

Somewhere, over the rainbow....

Carl, about LavaLight ... I've been thinking .. any chance of letting me umm ... look at it? I'd appreciate it, just because I really hate strings in C Of course, I understand if you don't want to, or don't ever see this message.

LWS / LWO Load / Save / Edit Commands

A bunch of Lscript commands for loading and saving object and scene files, but with the ability to edit the data saved in the files.

For example, saving an object but changing the filepath of any texture maps it may be using.

That way someone might be able to write a version of 'Content Manager' that actually works!!!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

java java java java!

Hey I'm no programmer - I learned all my Java writing expressions in After Effects, but once I'd read a chapter or two of a "Java in ten easy lessons" book I had the gist. It would be great if I could write expressions in Java, with the whole object oriented thing happening.

But I guess it goes against the NT philosophy of doing things our own crazy way so as to confuse the punters and make the development cycle slower and more bug prone. Sigh. Why didn't I invest in Maya..?

</bitterness caused by trying to write expressions and having the expression editor spaz out repeatedly on me>
    2 × Xeon 2690 - 20 cores @ 3GHz, 2 × NVIDIA GeForce Titan Black 6GB, 64GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro
    MacBook Pro, Intel Core i7 2.6Ghz, El Capitan

nerdiness and free stuff at my blob

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast