Thread: TEXTURES - film or digital?

TEXTURES - film or digital?

finally got a scanner (props to moms). 1200 dpi resolution, seems decent enough, from what little i know of scanners. looks like i'll need a camera, so my question is, am i better off using film, and the scanner, or should i just get a digital camera?
    long live the machine

It depends what you want the camera and scanner for.

Well, it'd certainly be much cheaper to use digital. And the quality would be better since you wouldn't have to go through the scanner which no matter how good it is will reduce the quality of your image. Digital is what you want if you're making textures.

Ooops my bad, I forgot the textures bit in the title of this thread. I would only buy a Film camera if you wanted to develop your own prints. Otherwise digital is so much easier.

I'd go Digital. I'm using a Fuji S1 Pro that I have for regular photography, and it takes wonderful texture photos. There are two factors in texture photography - the resolution and the color. Color is important, because even in a seemingly monochromatic surface there are subtle hints of other colors contained inside, and you lose that on many digital cameras. I mostly paint my textures, but the Fuji talked me into letting some photo textures creep back into my work.
    -Anthony
    Carpe Carpem

I bought a digital camera 2 years ago. It has paid for itself in film devlopment 15 times!!

Seriously these things are expensive, but in the end, you are spending WAY less, depending on how obsessive you are.

thanks for the help, guys.
    long live the machine

camera

I would go with a "nomal" camera and develop the negatives on CD. =HUGE resolution.

Any good photodeveloper store would do this.

cu
    loebek
    =========================================
    Software is mindcontrol - get some!
    Shut up, or I will replace you with a very small LScript!