Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'd like to switch back to Mac

I'd like to switch back to Mac

Back in LW 7.0 days I switch my LW over to the the PC because it was just so dang unstable I couldn't work. I don't really like working in the "Windows" environment but at least I've been able to get my work done. I would love to be back on the Mac. I hate to start a long debate here but can anyone tell me if LW 8 is running any more stable on the Mac these days?
    Thanks
    Tim
    Tim Pfeiffer
    Virginia

That's hard to say, I had extraordinary stability with 7.0b and OSX - it really seems to depend on the computer, the way it's configured and the way you use it. But in general I don't think that 8 is considered to be more stable than 7.5c.

Personally, I've been working on PC's for the last year and all the screwy behaviour and constant need to reboot makes them way more frustrating than Lightwave on a Mac.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

I know what you mean.

Yeh, the constant updates and service pack crap doesn't leave me feeling all warm fuzzy. LW seems to run fair on the PC but it's the whole operating system I can't stand. When things go wrong it's so much harder to straighten them out on the PC. Oh well. Thanks for your thoughts.
    Tim Pfeiffer
    Virginia

to Mac and back

Tim,
    i recently was forced into a Mac to PC switch at work. I went from a G5 to a Dual Xeon 3.02 running XP pro. Granted the PC at times seems faster in Lightwave, but i would go back in a HEARTBEAT. The OS is horrible and i do about 50% of my work in Photoshop. Pshop is much better on the G5. The PC does a few of the filters better, but if i had a nickel for every time i get a (NOT RESPONDING) in the software, i'd be rich. Sorry, I realize you were just talking Lightwave, but i second your thoughts on the OS being crap. Lightwave was perfectly stable (or at least no worse) for me on the G5. I just felt the need to vent on my bad PC experience and if i could go back i would.

I hate to keep throwing money at this thing. (But I will if I have to.) When I switched over to the dreaded PC, I bought the biggest, baddest macine they had to offer. A Dell Dual Xeon 3.02 running XP pro. I've had some pretty scary moments. I'm thinking of getting the latest G5 and going back to where my heart is. The Mac. I have a Mac G4 dual 1gig but that was the one I had so much trouble with LW7.O. I've been around long enough to know that either platform will have bad days. But I was just wondering about how LW was doing these days on the Mac. I'm feeling the Mac heart strings tugging at me more and more.
    Thanks for all your thoughts.
    Tim
    Tim Pfeiffer
    Virginia

self flagellating LW monk
    tim,
    I haven't noticed much difference in stability. But I never really had serious problems with 7 either. Most problems were caused by the hub, and could be fixed by wiping the config files, and deep sixing the hub.
    There will always be serious gotchas in LW, and I suspect that subconsciously I work around most of them now, but You'll get that on either platform (although for some reason most of the hardware based display glitches happen on the mac).

I am currently on a dual 1 gig g4, and in the next few days will move up to a dual g5 2 gig. co-workers are on a dual 2.5 gig g5, and a dell xeon based system. i've found LW 8 to be much more tolerable in areas where the processor is heavily involved with display (ik, physics, cloth etc...) on my dual 1 gig, compared to 7.5. And thats probably the biggest deal. LW is now much more comparable on both platforms. If you have the duo-dongle, LW8, and still have your dual 1 gig, give it a whirl. otherwise, try downloading the discovery edition.

It's a 100% better now that what it use to be. Still some quirks but nothing I can't live with.

I have been using both PC's and Macs with LW for about 2 years now, and I have had much fewer moments of frustration on my Dual 2 gig G5 than I have had on any of the Dell PC's in the computer lab at my school. LW on my Mac is as stable as just about any other program I use on it (which is pretty much rock solid) as long as I am not asking it to do something that is pretty much impossible for it to handle anyways. I am using LW 8 by the way, but my experience with 7.5 was about the same. anyways, I hope that you get the chance to switch back, it would definitely be worth it in my book.
    -Brian

www.bhm3d.com

2.0 GHZ DP G5
    1.5GB of RAM
    9600 Pro

I found that the biggest difference in Mac LightWave stability came the day I switched from OS9 to OSX. Ever since that, every day has been a breeze, and LightWave has been rock solid (mostly).

Bruce

LW8 under 10.2.8 was really buggy, but under 10.3.5 it's much much better.

Ive been working on a project intensely under LW8 on a Dual2Gig machine and apart from the (OK really dreadful) crash upon render bug, which (fingers crossed) 8.0.1 seems to have eliminated, it's been pretty reliable.

I had LW under the Mac under OS9 for ages (terrible) then with 6.5 under W2K (worked very well but, despite trying to be objective about it, I can muster no affection for the platform) and now back under OSX. SO happy to be back on the Mac with it.

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by tim pfeiffer
    I have a Mac G4 dual 1gig but that was the one I had so much trouble with LW7.O. I've been around long enough to know that either platform will have bad days. But I was just wondering about how LW was doing these days on the Mac. I'm feeling the Mac heart strings tugging at me more and more.
    Thanks for all your thoughts.
    Tim
    Tim, you could test the waters with a minimal investment... Get the lastest OS for the mac (panther) at $129.00. Do a fresh install on your G4. I assume you have a USB dongle with your PC LW, otherwise I think NT charges $50 to trade in parallel dongle for the dual OS USB dongle.

If you still need to upgrade to *, NT has a great deal for upgraders where you can get some free training material...
    http://www.newtek.com/buynow/lw_products.html

So $495 + $50 + $130 ~ $675 You ge to update your PC version of LW, make it a dual OS license, and have an up to date mac thats capable of running LW 8.

You can't lose...

OK, Chuck, where's my commision!!

For what it is worth, I use both platforms on a daily basis and either one is fine. Buy what you can afford and make it the best possible you can afford and I don't think you will be missing anything.

I was scheduled to get a Dual G5 2.5, but it looks like Apple has dropped the ball big time and are pushing the delivery of the machine to something like October 31 or later. Needless to say, this is very annoying, so it looks like I will be getting a Dual Xeon from BOXX since they can deliver (it just has to be pushed through finance of course)...so my Mac days will be strictly for travel, client meetings, and coffee shops on my PowerBook.

But i'm not soar, I can finally use DF here @ work instead of just @ home.

Oh and one more thing...Quadro cards rule...Apple needs to wake up and add some Pro cards to their line up.
    policarpo|visual designer
    http://www.policarpo.us

"think what you will.
    will what you think.
    anything less is pure folly."

- something to live by

Re: Quadro Cards

Can anyone point me to some evidence that a 256 meg Quadro card will provide superior performance over a 256 meg 6800 card?

I'm sure there is a reason some people buy video cards that cost over $1K, but I have never been able to find actual benchmarks.

Of course, I don't know a single animator, Mac or PC, who is using a "pro card". I don't know the right ones, I guess.

As far as I know, these Pro cards are not a lot faster than the "gaming"cards. But the diference is in programming. I think that you can install extra LW-optimisation drivers with a pro-card. Therefor, you will have a better display, faster and more functions to display.

But this is shooting in the dark. I just tell you what somebody told me. Donnow if it's true.

Ge4-ce
    __________________________________________________ _

Koen Delbroek
    D4motion
    www.d4motion.be
    [email protected]

Quadro and FireGL Cards have more throughput...and the fact that you have an option to get these cards if you need them is one reason alone Apple needs to open themselves up to PRO card vendors.

I have a Quadro 4 380 (bottom of the line Quadro) in my BOXX and it runs great...and the Maxtreme drivers for it really shows what a good card can do with the right type of drivers.
    policarpo|visual designer
    http://www.policarpo.us

"think what you will.
    will what you think.
    anything less is pure folly."

- something to live by

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast