Thread: Video Card

Video Card

Building a new machine, anyone bought a video card lately that is working great?

Rather get a reccomendation from you guys that ad's and spec sheets.

Thanks for the help,
    Lew

I got a GeForce FX5800XT a week or two back; very good OpenGL performance, and rock stable with Lightwave.

Go with a Geforce 5900SE or XT (same thing, really). You will get a lot of bang for your buck.

My Wildcat VP 970 is sitting in a closet gathering dust since I replaced it with the 5900SE.

Thanks for the suggestions. Either of these cards support a dual display? Been thinking it would be nice to have a bit more screen real estate.
    Lew

In looking at the specs of the MoBo I've picked out, it will only accept a PCI Express card. Wow, that kind of limits my choices of Graphics Cards!

The VT3 doesn't neet the extra speed, but, I do a fair amount of Lightwave work, and a fast card is a plus.

So now, anyone with experience with a dual display PCI Express Card? The hype sound great, but I also don't want to spend a fortune on it.
    Lew

I would like to add my two cents (which will buy you nothing and has nothing to do with cards...but...)

For those who have not done so... partitioning your apps separate from your data and all the rendering on a totally different drive helps everything move along like clock work and cuts down on freezes, crashes, etc. I also made kind of a RAID set up for all my storage (using a few drives in a tower I had laying around.) The more separate everything is the better.

Design a logo or two for a computer nerd friend and you can usually get all the help you need doing this stuff.

I couldn't agree more. I always keep my apps on a separate partition to anything I produce (and have done since my old Amiga days )
    Lew, in answer to your question: I haven't tried my FX with 2 monitors, but I believe it does support two, yes.