Thread: How to scale frames, etc., properly?

Question How to scale frames, etc., properly?

I'm currently doing a bit of architectural modelling, and I have a lot of trouble with window frames and other outlines where you have to take polygon A and scale it into polygon B so that when you drill A with B, you get a frame of uniform width. This isn't a problem for rectangular frames, but once you get into more complex, irregular shapes, you sometimes need to move the vertices of polygon B manually, checking the angles and using trig. This is a nightmare when you have to do it a lot.
    See the attached example. The top shot shows what happens if you just scale the outer polygon, and the bottom one shows how I want it to look. In this particular case, I could do it with or without trig because the combined width of the frames vertically and horizontally is the same (20 cm), but if the shape is irregular (for example, if the top two planks did not meet in the perfect top center), this could get pretty difficult.

So, is there any way to do this quickly or automatically?
    Attached Images Attached Images

One way that come to mind, and I am deffinately sure the are several ways to do what you want. Is change your grid size to match the width of the narrowest part of the object, and drag the points to the grid. Normally snap to grid is on, unless you changed it to off. So now your points will be move quite accurately.

This is merely a workflow problem - you are using the wrong method. Have you ever considered Bevel?

Mylenium
    [Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]

I think I just slapped my self on the head. For some reason I was thinking before the object was extruded. Mylenium, your right I guess thats why its good to ask. Someone will think correctly. I guess on the net multiple heads are better than one.
    Silk

Bevelling would be wonderful, but unfortunately, I do mean, before the object is extruded. So what do I do?

I hope I don't misunderstand what you are trying to do.

If its an extruded shape already, couldn't you just select the interior polygons and delete them, then select the points on the outside to make a 5pt polygon, and then bevel that?

I know it might be taking a few steps backwards, but it would only take a minute to be sure its accurate.