Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Screamernet tutorials

My quite old videotutorial on setting up and use native ScreamerNET.

Part1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8zCZchifKg
    Part2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_hVLhhcnCU
    Part3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZTt...4h8evCkSgFBxAw
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    ...for a very simple way to use Screamernet I can thoroughly recommend Amleto for a Windows renderfarm. It will copy your whole LightWave installation to each rendernode, but it's also practically automatic to use...B
    My brain needs something very simple to setup. How do you get Ameleto to render? No docs/tuts I can find. Run server, add job... then what? Status indicates nothing happening.
    Run client... it reads "batch finished"... then what?

Messages shows "Sending scene..." to my workstation. But I dont see anything happening. No CPU usage.

Twice I have tried to follow Screamernet setup tuts but its too complicated, and I cant get it to work.
    Last edited by Mr Rid; 08-29-2014 at 10:20 PM.
    "O K, so what's the speed of dark?"

Demo reel 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOixvRhcs4

The Amleto worked really easily for me at home. (Not that this helps at all... sorry)

You have to make sure that the drive, where the work is, is visible to all of your other machines.
    Also, make the top level folder a mapped drive. This just makes it easier.

The docs for amleto pretty much cover most of it I think. Firewalls are a nightmare to things like this, so make sure you have it (and all the ports it needs) allowed through your firewall.
    I linked a Win 7 machine and a Win 8 one and Amleto worked flawlessly! (Apart from when Windows decided to update itself over night! Arrrrrgh... TWICE!!)

Docs for Amleto are here:
    http://virtualcoder.co.uk/amleto/

There are a few things that don't work, and aren't documented (I don't think). One of them is, it doesn't accept arbitrary frame ranges. It simply ignores this completely.

As for the 'sending scene'. That's the bit where it's physically sending the files to the other node. No processor will be kicking in at this point... does it get further than that? For large scenes and things, this could take some time!
    Last edited by lardbros; 09-05-2014 at 08:00 AM.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rid View Post
    Twice I have tried to follow Screamernet setup tuts but its too complicated, and I cant get it to work.
    Matt has the shortest and no nonsense, easiest tutorial. Try that.
    Just remove the -d switch and try the trick I posted to make screamernet project based as opposed to a fixed content directory which requires packaging files which is a big waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post

You have to make sure that the drive, where the work is, is visible to all of your other machines.
    Also, make the top level folder a mapped drive. This just makes it easier.

The docs for amleto pretty much cover most of it I think. Firewalls are a nightmare to things like this, so make sure you have it (and all the ports it needs) allowed through your firewall.
    I linked a Win 7 machine and a Win 8 one and Amleto worked flawlessly! (Apart from when Windows decided to update itself over night! Arrrrrgh... TWICE!!)

Docs for Amleto are here:
    http://virtualcoder.co.uk/amleto/

There are a few things that don't work, and aren't documented (I don't think). One of them is, it doesn't accept arbitrary frame ranges. It simply ignores this completely.

As for the 'sending scene'. That's the bit where it's physically sending the files to the other node. No processor will be kicking in at this point... does it get further than that? For large scenes and things, this could take some time!
    Thanks for all the info! I have been corresponding with Amleto support, but have not yet figured out why it wont render for me here. He sent me a new version that writes logs. I am trying a simple test scene with the server and client on the same machine. It just sits there.
    "O K, so what's the speed of dark?"

Demo reel 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOixvRhcs4

Ah... after a Windows 7 update, my rendering nodes complained about a Windows Bluetooth driver or something... very weird, but it stopped my machine dead. In order to get it working, I think I updated Windows (again) and everything seemed to work after that.

Clutching at straws a bit, but a Windows update did this to our render farm at work too... stopped LW rendering, but with no errors.
    Have you tried loading up LW on your node, and rendering just to check that it works?

Hope you get it sorted... renderfarms and networking are my BIGGEST pain in the *** at work! Hate it...
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Can anyone tell me where to find tutorials for screamernet for linux? I just added three computers to my farm and want to see about using linux rather than buying windows.

I have tried amleto and it kind of worked but strangely enough I have had the most success with screamernet. I have also looked into other things like butterfly net render and I tried that on windows and had some success as well. I am not the most tech savvy and the tutorials for screamernet were amazing and walked me right through but I want to use linux for the farm if possible.

As you can tell I am not a linux guru so I may have to get help on this but I need a tutorial if there is one. Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123