Thread: Volumetric Lights Alpha?

Angry Volumetric Lights Alpha?

OK I need to have my volume lights to have a value in the alpha channel for compositing, they don't show up at all! Is there anyway to capture the volume light infor for the alpha channel?
    Thanks
    Robert

Not that I'm aware of, but why not just render them over a black background and then comp it in screen mode?
    Gregg Domain
    Visual Effects Artist
    www.greggdomain.com
    -----------------------------
    Get Into Adobe After Effects

Alpha for volumetric lights comes from their opacity.

Well....guess that shows you how often I use volumetric lights...
    Gregg Domain
    Visual Effects Artist
    www.greggdomain.com

Unhappy No shadows in Volume Alpha

Increasing the opacity made the light volumetrics visable in the alpha but the shadows do not show up. Without the shadows this does not work for me I am doing flying logos and such so the the object shadows in the volume lights alpha is vital important. I need to be able to composite in After Effects, etc.. There has to be a way. Also the Volume light opacity does not produce the falloff but rather just an even blanket where ever the light is. I am going to have to use Electric Image, XSI, Maya, Cinema 4D or 3d Studio Max since Lightwave can't produce Volumetric Light/Shadow information in the Alplha channel, all the other apps do so. Somebody write a patch, please.

Unhappy No shadows in Volume Alpha

Increasing the opacity made the light volumetrics visable in the alpha but the shadows do not show up. Without the shadows this does not work for me I am doing flying logos and such so the the object shadows in the volume lights alpha is vital important. I need to be able to composite in After Effects, etc.. There has to be a way. Also the Volume light opacity does not produce the falloff but rather just an even blanket where ever the light is. I am going to have to use Electric Image, XSI, Maya, Cinema 4D or 3d Studio Max since Lightwave can't produce Volumetric Light/Shadow information in the Alplha channel, all the other apps do so. Somebody write a patch, please.

I got this link from fellow forum member mrgrusin. It works perfect! I ran some tests and it looks fantastic! Hurray I don't have to use another app, I love light wave!

To get Lightwave to generate an alpha channel which includes volumetric lights, glows, etc., try this plugin: http://www.ats-3d.com/post_Alpha/index.htm. Works great, and it's even free.

RobertRhino

Good to know! Thanks for that link. (Which is broken, btw...the period at the end of "htm" got included in the url).
    Gregg Domain
    Visual Effects Artist
    www.greggdomain.com

Oops!

http://www.ats-3d.com/post_Alpha/index.htm

This is a free plugin.
    Thanks
    RobertRhino

You can use the Image Filter "Flare2Alpha" in LW[8].
    Visit 3D Recursions :: 3D Math for Art Places
    plus Attractors Art! and My own old and ancient Site!

"Everyone needs something / Sometimes they don't know why / But so much good's been misunderstood / In the blink of the eye / So I take a little bad with the good / It ain't just black and white" Iggy Pop