Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Toon for Lightwave 8?

Newbie Member

Final Toon for Lightwave 8?

Anyone know of a high class celshader, line tracer for lightwave on the level of "Final Toon" by the german company Cebas (www.cebas.com)?

for info on the product the web page is:
    http://www.finalrender.com/products/...-35-788&PID=37

for now...alas its only for 3D Max... lets send them a bunch of emails requesting a lightwave version.... and if any newtek employees are on here reading this have a look... it is VERY good. Maybe you can have newtek contact them and try make a deal to have it ported... this is 50 times better than the lineshaders I've seen on lightwave... please please get these guys into our Lightwave world.

I emailed them [email protected] requesting an adaptation for Lightwave 8... if you are interested in this product please do the same and email them. They did respond to my email with "If enough people show interest they will consider it".

or on the other side if Cebas is not interested in porting to Lightwave perhaps the Lightwave developers can study what they have made and make a clone of key features into a lightwave plugin... mark me down as a guaranteed customer for a similar product!

noise in the all aspects of the line (thicker thinner in spots), many option for line drawing... just look at the site... I actually have used it on a friends computer and it has very amazing output.

but like it said in the beginning if anyone knows anything comparable that is already available for lightwave point me int he direction of the purchasing depatment.
    cheers,
    Daniel Young
    CrusaderX
    [email protected]

Have you seen the Unreal shader/pixel filter?

Does line thickness and noise and all sorts...
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

I must have more cowbell FONGOOL's Avatar
    Yeah, closest I've seen to Final Toon's range of abilities is UnrealXtreme cel shader.

The upside? IT'S FREE!

The downside? The docs are in Japanese...

Wouldn't it be nice to have some fellow Japanese Lightwaver to translate some of those docs for the rest of us? There are plenty of good plugins originating from that country. Unfortunalely, many of them come only with docs in Japanese. While some are easy to figure out, others are not.

btw, where can I download that plugin? Flay did not find anything under "UnrealXtreme"

thanks, i suspected it was there, it just didnt like my spelling.

Not the first time I have problem with flay search

Newbie Member
    to be honest i have tried UnREAL Xtreme and am somewhat unimpressed, except of course by the price. For most applications the built in Lightwave line tracer is equally as good or better. UnREAL has some nice cell shader options, but the line tracer often results in blotchiness with poor antialiasing. Sorry for those who swear by it, but i havent seen anything impressive in unREAL... unless i'm missing something important... anyone have some cutting edge sample images i could see that would show me what i havent figured out how to do? Beleive me if it can do what i'd like i would be very happy to use it (as its free).

...but from what i've managed to render i give it 2.5 stars out of five. I'm looking for the 4 star or 5 star product for linetracing.
    any suggestions?
    Daniel Young
    CrusaderX
    [email protected]

Originally posted by crusaderx
    I emailed them [email protected] requesting an adaptation for Lightwave 8... if you are interested in this product please do the same and email them. They did respond to my email with "If enough people show interest they will consider it".
    Interesting... having Cebas working on LW plugins will give great benefits!

I'll send an email too!

Daniel... can you start a Thread in Community section?
    Last edited by Exper; 07-20-2004 at 05:59 AM.
    Visit 3D Recursions :: 3D Math for Art Places
    plus Attractors Art! and My own old and ancient Site!

"Everyone needs something / Sometimes they don't know why / But so much good's been misunderstood / In the blink of the eye / So I take a little bad with the good / It ain't just black and white" Iggy Pop

Hehe, I'm just happy today that they are going to bring finalRender (including some parts of finalToon) to Maya. *smiling*

Mylenium
    [Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]

LW support should be better!

"Everyone needs something / Sometimes they don't know why / But so much good's been misunderstood / In the blink of the eye / So I take a little bad with the good / It ain't just black and white" Iggy Pop

Well, I doubt we will see anything in that direction soon - it's just the same old story as with FPrime or the constantly failing attempts on creating a fully fledged RIB exporter. As long as LW's API isn't opened up, there is no chance. Honestly I'm at a point where I really don't care much more - [8] is a total disappointment and if 8.5 or maybe 9 aren't really better, I think I'm going to ditch LW all along.
    Mylenium
    [Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]

Hoping the NT-Worley cooperation will open-up once and for all the API/SDK.

This is absolutely necessary as the air for the lungs!

There's quite a good interest around about LW but many developers don't invest in it because of its closed API...
    Worley deserves all our approval...
    but it's really sad in seeing NT opening up the SDK only after the FPrime affair (render, shaders limitations and so on) and not as a intentional direction of a better penetration in the market...
    immediate benefits should be available for big Studios, 3rd party developers and consequently for all final users/customers.

Really sad!

I would think it's probably more of a case of the api being opened up now the old guard are gone and people who aren't so proprietry over their software are in charge...
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Newbie Member
    I'm trying the big eyes small mouth shader out. I've seen some incredible work made with that one. It's one of the standard shaders that comes with lightwave.

Newbie Member
    I'm already happy enough with lightwaves built in celshaders... texture shaders... the thing i want to see improved is the linetracer...
    celshader is great (can use regular surfacing options to get a wide variety of effects...
    line tracer (edges) is also good... has a nice simplistic interface with good results... but i want it to be much better... so that 3D celshaded/linetraced looks the same as hand drawn animation.

some ideas:
    a) if i set a crease line to be 3 pixels wide... it should tapper off to nothing at the end of the crease... not end in a 3 pixel wide line.
    b) should be able to apply a noise variable... so a line can vary from the actual points in 3d space somewhat... and that noise variable should be able to be animated... for the scribbly line effect... i suppose a facsimily may be achived by applying an animated texture displacement map... but that will also creat extra creases and such where they are not wanted.
    c) I'd like to see a noise channel for line thickness... thus a line can vary between say 1.5 pixel and 2.5 pixels on a 1meter xyz noise variable...this would allow the lines to look more naturally drawn.
    d) I'd like the option to change line colours based on surface, gradients and texture maps.
    e) whether the line is overprinted or underprinted on the object...and Silhouette object and Silhouette internal surface normals (as is)... this would allow for example selecting a 20 pixel wide object silhouette (underprint), yet use a 1 pixel silhouette for internal (overprint) lines. this would allow the Mr. Bean cartoon look.
    I can also think of a dozen other enhancements that I'd like to see to the linetracer....
    most of these ideas are in cebas's product... so thats why i think it would be nice if we can wooooooo them to our side of the fense...
    How many lightwave users are there?
    how many do celshading...?
    is that a viable market for cebas?

who knows...
    final toon retails for over $400
    a bit pricey... but they sure got in the pants of Discreet... the first "officially recognized" plugin.
    i say they can strip out the line tracing functions (nevermind thier celshading) anbd lower the price to something more like $150 and port it to lightwave...how hard can it be to port math code to another program... just the interface and connectors to the program need to be rewritten.
    the main code and thought out math calculations on how to accomplish the main tasks are already done. I bet its i 3 week job for 2 programmers to port it to lightwave... so i doubt its gonna take 10,000 emails to encourage them... just 150 serious interested customers will make it worth thier while.
    Daniel Young
    CrusaderX
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast