Thread: Is there a way to show the path of the object?

Is there a way to show the path of the object?

Hi guys?

Im workin on a simple scene setup. I have one null moving in a wavy path straight forward (like a sine wave). Anyway. Im trying to get another null that trails behind it that folows the first nulls path sort of but not too closely. Its a very simple thing but im just wondering if there is any way i could get the first objects motion path to stay visible while i keyframe the 2nd. so that i dont have to guess at where the other null is since the 2nd follower null is slightly behind? I tried to add a item called "show curve" to one of the object because it sounded like that was it. Seems like a simple thing so is there a checkbox i can trigger somewhere or an easy way to see the motion path of another object?

Thanks a lot!

Working in LW[8] if it matters.

nino

John Fornasar
    For the Motion Path, hit your "d" key, it'll bring up Display Options...
    click on the "Show Motion Paths" button.

However, slow down with the Keyframes.

Select your 2nd null, hit "m" for Motion Options, click on Add Modifier and select "Follower".

"Show Curve" will draw curves/splines contained in an object in Layouts openGL.

If you want motion paths for a perticular object to stay visible get
    http://64.85.4.146/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1353

hi guys,

thaks John but i meant, i want to see the object path for an object that is not selected. I dont want to follow the null exactly otherwise id use other methods/expressions i really do need to keyframe it.

evenflcw that almost worked, but i cant use it in lw 8, it tells met hat it was not compiled for that architecture and when i try to recompile it it gives me an access error, thogh i dont know what im doing when i recompiled so it still may be possible i guess.

Either way, any more suggestions? I just need to see the motion path for a non selected object. SO that i can keyframe a diff object while seeing the motion path of the other one.

Thanks again!

I just tried "Custom_DrawMotionPath_v1.1.lsc" in LW8 PC and it works like a charm.
    If you're on mac perhaps that's why it doesn't work...
    Last edited by davx; 07-18-2004 at 07:36 AM.

have you tried using "follower" in the motion items tab?

there's some way to make a path into a spline isn't there? Then you could rail extrude an object to follow -
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)