Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Camera input produces faint verticle lines

Newbie Member

Camera input produces faint verticle lines

I'm using the VT3 as a live switcher. I have 3 cameras (unfortunatly all different). I'm using a Panasonic Supercam, a Sony PD-150 and a JVC GY-X2b. Panasonic and JVC are both using composite signals and the Sony is using Y/C. The Sony looks great. The Panasonic looks fine. The JVC doesn't look all that great. The picture is clear and the colors are correct, but there are faint vertical lines throughout the picture. All the cameras are being looped through JVC monitors and then to the SX-8 BOB. I have changed the input and the wires with no success. The JVC looks great coming into the JVC monitor. Even when I bypass the monitor and plug directly into the SX-8, I still get the lines. Can anyone help me with this problem?

TC User Group
    If this is a luminance issue, I noticed this problem and posted back in the VT2 days. Tim Jenison responded almost immediately and said that I needed to enable a Luminance filter on the proc amp. Go to the Advanced settings of the proc amp you will find it. Be sure you have selected the input that is giving you trouble and have something playing. You will be able to see the change imediately. Don't be afraid to muck things up because there is a reset to default button. Once you have the correct settings, save it as a preset so you don't have find the setting again everytime you need it.

I have not seen this problem in VT3 or later versions of VT2.

Good luck,

Ivan

This may sound silly, however -
    I have had some signal problems with composite sources as well, so I use a consumer SVHS deck to split the composite signal into Y/C.

Toaster Oven
    Actually I think I have seen this issue on VT3. Not sure if its exactly the same, but I have tried connecting a Sony DSR-300 via y/c and got some vertical lines. Faint and a little think in size.

On a seperate note, having used all three of those cameras at one time or another -- I would strongly suggest you connect the Panasonic & JVC via Y/C cables. This should help a little in getting all 3 cameras to look similar (well as close as that can be!).
    In fact you might want to run the Sony on composite out to better balance the three.

Ive had the same problem running microsoft powerpoint via Y/C into from a scan converter into VT[3] I didnt have this problem before VT[3] so I know its not the cable or the converter, as it looks fine on a monitor...

Newbie Member
    I still haven't figured out what's going on. I would try to run Y/C with my panasonic and JVC cameras, but the cable run is too long and goes through walls and floors, so for now I will have to stay composite. I would think it still should not be a problem though.

I take my VT with 2 lumps JReble's Avatar
    I too have experienced the vertical lines in my only component camera connection. A component VTR looks ok. When the camera is connected to a 800 line sony monitor, the verticle lines are not there at all, only after going in the BOB. I have a Sony DSR300 connected to the BOB via component connection and there seems no way to get rid of the vertical lines. The luminance filter only makes them a tad less noticable, but they are still there. This is especially troublesome when trying to use the only component camera connection for chroma keys as the lines appear in the key separation. Has anyone found a solution to this or is the BOB causing the problem?

VT[5] SpeedEdit Pilot Jim Capillo's Avatar
    Gloucester, MA - The Home of the Perfect Storm
    I've had this problem on and off since the early days of VT[2]. As a matter of fact, I used to get it in my Trinity from time to time, so y'all might want to investigate such things as dirty power or leaky cables.

I haven't seen it in a while, though........
    Jim Capillo

CW Television Productions
    100 Cummings Center, Suite 309-G
    Beverly, MA 01915

www.cwtvproductions.com

Thanks, but it's not a problem that any of our other gear can detect and we have shielded, grounded, and conditioned everything as we're fortunate enough to have several peices of gear much more expensive than the VT3. This has always been a problem with our system from the start. The luma filter makes it less noticable, but it remains and affects chroma keys considerably as you can see the lines when you adjust tolerance. I've looked at it on our external (non-VT3) scopes direct and out of the toaster and it's definitely being generated by the VT3 or more likely BOB. I've tried virtually every combination of settings in the advanced proc amp controls (and there are hundreds) and I can never make it go away completely. Kinda makes a component camera useless when it's got more noise than a y/c connection.

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    [QUOTE=JReble]and it's definitely being generated by the VT3 or more likely BOB. QUOTE]

Do you get it when you skip the BOB and connect straight to the VT's snake?
    Just for a test...?

Good question. I'll check.

Checked it without the BOB using the component cables only on both of my VT3 systems. The lines appear with this camera's component input on both systems so it does not appear to be a problem with a particular component. Since none of my professional component gear displays the verticle lines from this camera (monitors, a BVU1800, and two DVCAM VTRs) I have to assume the Toaster cards themselves are the culprits, or some software glitch in the Toaster software. As I mentioned it can be minimized turning on the luma filter, but it is not eliminated. Gonna have to get onto somebody about this one. I'm certain the issue has been there from the beginning, but I've just coped with it as best as possible to get things done to date.

Like everyone else, I've experienced the same thing since early VT2. For me it is worst with component in; better with Y/C; and never shows up on composite. While there have been improvements, it hasn't gone away. Also, some component inputs don't seem to exhibit it! Who knows why.

That's been my experience as well. Frankly I'd be happy if I could just get my component camera working without the VT card introducing noise to the signal.
    I'm determined to get this straightened out. I pulled the service manual on my camera, and also went about testing every other conceivable contributing factor.

I am certain the VT card is the only factor remaining, and is in fact the only device displaying any signal noise from this or any other component video signal. I've made more and more adjustments and found that the "Chroma demodulation bypass mode" does impact the vertical noise in the signal. Setting this control to "bypassed for digital YCbCr input" makes the noise go away completely, but it also makes the chroma signal completely incorrect as well. Either of the other two settings exhibit the lines, but each one makes them appear slightly offset from each other. The only other thing that affects the lines is turning the chroma signal off or down all the way which is only indicative of a problem with the VT card's processing of the chroma signal. I've e-mailed tech support, but have not heard back yet. In the meantime, does anyone else notice the same symptoms with the controls mentioned above?

Newtek Elite Reseller
    I have notice this as well with a Sony BVP-7 using component in. Funny thing is if I am using a long camera cable like 100 FT it seems to go away. I also notice this on my Toshiba TSC -100 camera using S-video in the +9 or +18DB gain up positions . This camera is similar to a sony DXC-327. Composit seems fine on both. and MY VX-2000 dose not show this at all. I am not sure what causes this. It is very strange
    Jim Davis
    DVS Direct
    Better Business Bureau® Rated A+ Business
    Newtek Elite Partner
    Newtek Service and Repair
    Top 10 reseller 4 years in a Row
    PH 1 814 371 5640

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast