Thread: Screamernet Set Up

Screamernet Set Up

Okay...here's a challenge. I've looked at a few tutorials for setting screamernet up to run on two PCs in a network, but I have found them to be rather confusing. The manual isn't particularly helpful either.

All I need is a basic what to do list of what folders to create and where on each machine and go from there. I found explanations of why it is done only serves to confuse. Any help gratefully received!

Bear with me, I'm in the process of making a video tutorial on how to setup ScreamerNet, which hopefully will clear up any confusion with it!

UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Thanks Matt, that would be great. Also, surely some bright spark could create some kind of little installer to get this going automatically. Hint, hint NewTek!

I agree, it should be much easier to setup, although once the penny drops you do wonder what all the fuss was about!

Originally posted by Matt
    I agree, it should be much easier to setup, although once the penny drops you do wonder what all the fuss was about!
    Yes, no doubt. I printed off your excellent tutorial and read it on the bus home. Just to be clear, yours is excellent, I just wanted a "quick and dirty" way of getting it sorted, without the explanation

In fact, thinking about this more, here's what I'd like to see in an ideal world. An installer which only requires me to input values to these fields:

1. Where do you want the command folder?

2. Where do you want to the content folder?

3. Where on your network do you want the Node 1 files?

4. Any more nodes?

Then I press install and it sorts it all out for me!

BTW, I think I know where I am getting confused: its the \\\MattXP thing ... I assume I put in C:\\ or whatever which is the hard drive location.

Thanks!

An installer is a good idea (for those who don't want to use a thrid party controller) wonder why no has done it before.

You only use c:\ etc. for local paths, if you want to access a computer across a network (even if it's your own) you need to use UNC naming, which is the \\yourcomputer\screamernet etc. convention.

Okay, installed the butterfly render software and tried that --- after a bit of fiddling it seemed to work. One problem though, how can I get the host (controlling) machine to render as well as my second PC, node 1? As far as I can tell, only the node 1 is rendering, which is a bit pointless really.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Bear with me, I'm in the process of making a video tutorial on how to setup ScreamerNet, which hopefully will clear up any confusion with it!

Is this video tutorial available?
    Silvio Toledo
    Brazil