Thread: Copyright Issues?

Newbie Member

Copyright Issues?

This is a background image for a logo competition I entered a few days ago. The theme of the site that the logo is for is relationships, hence the poses of the models. I tried to make the models of each sex as simple as possible, so I just bevelled a box into a cone shape.

The problem is that the models look exactly like the "Coney" character in the "Kory's Lighting Tips" tutorial on the Lightwave 3D site. This wasn't intentional, but I remembered this evening that I'd seen that tutorial before and I thought I'd check it for similarities. The models are almost identical

Anyway, my question is: Would copyright issues arise from this, and should I withdraw my entry?

Here's the image

Thanks for your time

I really doubt it...Cone shapes that symbolize male and female figures are too generic a design to infringe on copyright. The only way you would have a problem is if the design concept as a whole (the sum of all its parts) is too similar to another design concept....
    Jessica Vitale
    President
    Los Angeles LightWave Users Group
    www.lalightwave.com

"I don't want to draw something that looks realistic. I want something that's believable"---Chuck Jones

Newbie Member
    Thanks for your reply. I considered the generic aspect of the design, but I thought I'd better check. I'm new to LightWave (and 3D design in general) and that logo was my first attempt at a semi-serious project.