Thread: LW - Zbrush - LW

LW - Zbrush - LW

Doodling in ZBrush they say... I gave it a shot and I must say I'm very impressed. This low poly head I had lying around in LW for quite some time now and it was perfect for practicing Zbrush on...
    I consider this a work model, though it came out surprisingly good so I just might go and doodle a bit more with it .
    Rendered in LW with FPrime...

Great - nice work. Could you explain what you did to the model in Z brush? Are you using a displacement map on a high density mesh?
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

I exported this mesh out of LW and then painted everything else in Z.
    LW screenshot

After that I exported low poly mesh out of Z with textures and displacement map and threw everything together in LW (with Lynx's NormalDisplacemnet plugin).

Did you paint a bump on to your model? Thats pretty cool!

i recomend seeing the zbrush movie over at http://www.cgnetworks.com/cgfilms/ to see how powerfull zbrush really is.

Wow, so you can actually alter your models geometry...

yup

Wow ya thats great.
    Im getting a whole different view of character modelling now.
    After i seen your picture i wen to zbrush.com and watch some movies, and its a very impressive software.
    I belive alot of traditional artists welcome this.

nice,

do you have a tutorial on how to make the normalmap and texture in zbrush for exporting? I know how to import my mesh in zbrush and add detail but not how to make normalmap?.

Is there a tutorial anywhere that goes through every step, taking a LW lowpoly model with UVmap, into Zbrush, and the stuff that needs to be done there (not the detailing and modeling of course). And then back to LW.
    Last edited by wanner; 05-27-2004 at 06:14 PM.

Well there is "Practical manual" for download on their site, it's very comprehensive so I strongly advice to read it.

Anyways it's really very simple... I didn't actually use normal map but only displacement and texture.

I don't know everything about Zbrush just yet either but this is how I did it:

1. Imported low poly mesh to Z and subdivided it 5 times with Tool->Geometry->divide
    2. if u haven't imported UVs from LW create them using Tool->texture menu
    2. then I added details and painted texture
    3. after all the painting is done I went back to tool->geometry and turned the subdivison resolution back down and I exported the model back to LW.
    4. while still in this lower SD mode go tools->displacement map and click create displacement map, you can do the same for normal map if you need it.
    5. Now the maps show in your texture and alpha pallete and you can export it right out of there by pressing export button. (WARNING! flip all texture vertical before exporting ("Flip V" button in pallete), otherwise they'll be turned wrong way)
    6. Get lynx's NormalDisplacement plugin and 16bit grayscale tiff loader.
    http://lynx.aspect-design.de/index.htm
    7. load the mesh you exported to modeler (turn it to subpatches) and save it then load it to layout.
    8. Change "display sub patch level" and "render sub patch level" to as much as you need.
    9. Add NormalDisplacement plugin in the object properties/deform tab. You need to play a bit with the setting to get them right.
    Here is what I used:

hope this helps!

wow looking good man

Just yesterday i was on zbrush.com and watched some stuff!
    Really amazing what you can do it seems.

Right now I'm way to new to try something like that but I'm sure I will in the future!

http://pixologic.com/zbrush/media_links/movies.html
    some nice videos
    worth checking out imo