Thread: LW8 Install Troubles

LW8 Install Troubles

I installed LW8 before and everything went great. But now, after uninstalling LW8 a few weeks ago, when I run setup it doesn't install! It just removes the program.

"Do you want to completely remove the selected application and all of its components?"

What's going on here?

Assuming you are on a Windows system:

Something in the Registry is telling the installer that [8] is still on your machine. When you uninstalled LW did you use the Add/Remove Programs Wizard, or LW Uninstall, or like a complete newbie simply delete the LW folder from your drive? Sorry, I have to ask the third option because some people do just that!

Anyway, if you are familiar with the Registry then great. Type regedit in the Run field and do a Search. If you aren't familiar with the registry then it's no place to be monkeying around in! Get someone to help or do some research before tackling it.

DISCLAIMER: This is merely a guess and something I would check out if it happened to myself. It could be other reasons that Installer is behaving like that but the Registry is the first place I'd look.
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

Originally, I used Add/Remove Programs. I tried again, searched my registry, deleted all the Newtek/Lightwave stuff both in Reg Seeker and regedit. Now, when I try to install LW, it looks like its preparing to install twice, and on the second time, the window at the bottom pops up.

Does this call for a Windows system repair?
    Attached Images Attached Images

So, should I just reformat?

I'm not sure if a reformat is necessary just yet. Have you tried looking for the file that's mentioned in the error message? Try finding it and if it's there then check to see if there's a Read-only attribute assigned to it. If there is then remove it and maybe the installer will work. If there is no Read-only assigned then maybe delete the file and see what happens.

I did a search on google for "isrt.dll" and came up with a few things related to that file and error messages but nothing specific to LightWave. One page mentioned when the error appeared for a particular software the app was installed a second time after the error and it worked.

I would reformat as an absolute last resort.
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

John Fornasar
    You might also try going to the InstallShield site and grabbing the latest version.
    I was having trouble installing LW8 - "Missing File" installer error message, loaded InstallShield again and LW went in like a charm.

It involved both that weird file and the InstallShield folder. I had deleted that strange file that was causing the errors, but that didn't fix it, so I went into the InstallShield folder and found it there! I deleted it and now everything works.

I really appreciate your help, guys. Thanks a bunch