Thread: Rendering Times/Speed

Newbie Member

Smile Rendering Times/Speed

I am creating a 20 second logo animation and my rendering time is unbelievably slow. I have figured out that the surface I have applied to my model is what is sucking up all the time. (See attached image). Is there a way to speed up rendering? Right now I am looking at about 30 minutes per frame (for 600 frames). And that's with the antialiasing off. Would a different codec help, or is there someting I can do to the surface without affecting it to much? The two rings rotate in opposite directions for 3/4 of the animation and then stop. The camera start position is at 0,0,0 and then drops back until the full image is in view.

Also, is there a tutorial I could follow on how to make a rotating object slow to a stop instead of just stopping at a certain point?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well what are your scene settings.

Are you rendering at the same resolution as that screen ?

640 is enough already.

Give more details on other scene settings, whether reflections on/off etc.

Certainly shouldn't take that long.

Newbie Member

Smile

I have all my ray trace settings toggled, and discovered that that is what is causing the slow render times. My resolution is at 640.
    I tried scaling down all the objects in my scene as well as cutting the frames in half. As a result my render time per frame went from 1hr 54min to about 11 - 15 minutes. Waht else do you need to know about my scene settings? I am working by trial and error to get a feel for the software so whatever tips you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

When doing volumetrics and a spot light you should almost always use shadow maps- it's way faster.

In Render Options lower your ray recursion limit to about 2. Turn off ray traced shadows and in your light change the shadow type to shadow map. If you aren't using transparency, deactivate ray trace transparency and ray trace refraction.

-e

Newbie Member
    I'll give that a try.

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions.