Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Newteks Direction for LW - whats in future and what market is the aim towards?

Hey JS33- I appreciate the compliment. It's always fun to write nutty especially on a forum where half the guys are nuts, including myself.

Jin- I have to chime in here buddy with your points as well. Excellent way to illustrate your point with the AK47 versus M16 analogy.

And I think you are spot on with pushing for "doables" within the software engineering evolution of Lightwave with one caveat, which is- that it is sometimes necessary to ALSO have a level desired changed that may be unachievable to enhance the resolve of the engineering team above the menial. In other words if the Dev team stays focused soley on what is attainable are we going to create a team that is less "cutting-edge".

I think this dynamic is healthy. Practically everyone in this forum is a dynamic of change of some sort and that isn't really going to happen unless you are pushing in the direction of goals that oftentimes seem to be unreachable.

This may be more of a psycho-analytical standpoint but in the corporate world psychometrics are pretty important.

Great post theo!

Spur on the new Dev. Team...
    we want an innovative LW...
    as it was many years ago!
    Visit 3D Recursions :: 3D Math for Art Places
    plus Attractors Art! and My own old and ancient Site!

"Everyone needs something / Sometimes they don't know why / But so much good's been misunderstood / In the blink of the eye / So I take a little bad with the good / It ain't just black and white" Iggy Pop

Thanks Exper- I notice your avatar leans toward the abstract. This is interesting to me- Even though I am quite good at the realism side the abstract side of 3D imagery and animation holds more of a fascination for me because it is tends to create a synergy within the intellectual and emotional chemical structure of the brain.

The fractal nature of computer generated art is pushed to a new and exciting edge when it is mated to the random interpratations of an artist who understands abstract reasoning and non-repeating patterns.

With the addition of new time and space tools the abstract thought processes of the artist can be realized on a trans-dimensional- rather than just multi-dimensional- plane

Yummy stuff!

Sorry for getting off topic guys-

Originally posted by theo
    Sorry for getting off topic guys-
    hahaha! and how! i know next to nothing about abstract art so i still can't get a fix on whether you're joking or not!

i'm fine with the whole 'pushing' the team thing and agree with the principle of striving for more than what you are. just a note then that we as users shouldn't expect that all twenty of our next generation requests get done for version 8.01 and go [email protected]#$ when it doesn't happen.

lightwolf:

i hope you're right and i'm wrong. rendertime dicing would be awesome... the only thing that makes me cower at it is that in order to keep up render speed, REYES renderers ADAPTIVELY tesselates objects so that a single object is not a uniform density - and that according to space partitioning and such.

was it you that also pointed out that POSER has it now? (!!!) well, hopefully then, they can do it and really make our sds take advantage of the fact that it is a resolution independent surface.

colkai:

i don't know xsi but i agree with what you're saying too. and in maya as well, there are some things that you simply cannot do with the gui... so absolutely, 'primitivity' has advantages. ideally, an app would have BOTH in equal meaure - a simple, human interface for casual work or regular joes and a 'power interface' that goes nuts with the nodes and 'programming' model for really powerful and batch kinds of operations. but no app like that currently exists.... certainly not houdini....

herve:

well, in maya, there's a view just like that: soft, smoothed edges are dotted. hard edges are undotted... that overlaid on the actual opengl surface is very easy to interpret.

and although i've studied programming (3 books on c++ and 3 on python), i've never programmed anything more complicated than a prime number generator (nothing fancy, just brute force) and really, it's difficult for me to imagine a NEED to program something from scratch these days. but i admire greatly the discipline and those who can do it... perhaps a teaspoon of the mindset has seeped in.

jin

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Hi jin,
    I'd never mention Poser, it wasn't me
    Actually, what I meant was that it would be _realtively_ easy to primary vis, with something reyes like, _however_ that would _not_ work with anything raytraced. And getting that to work decently would probably mean a major overhaul of the renderer...
    As for doing stuff from scratch. There is a difference between programming from scratch, and actually designing concepts from scratch. And both can be worthwhile (looking at where XSI is now, or PmG).
    Sometimes it helps to gather all the experience you have, clean out the closest, think in a new, better direction and start from scratch. A house will only be as stable as the foundation will allow (no AK-47/M-16 analogy from me here, esp. since the AK is more robust, which is where you analogy is flawed ).
    Cheers,
    Mike

theo...
    funny post about abstract art!

Originally posted by jin choung
    just a note then that we as users shouldn't expect that all twenty of our next generation requests get done for version 8.01 and go [email protected]#$ when it doesn't happen.
    Agree...
    simply hoping NT will slap us with a "revolution-come-back" product!
    Visit 3D Recursions :: 3D Math for Art Places
    plus Attractors Art! and My own old and ancient Site!

"Everyone needs something / Sometimes they don't know why / But so much good's been misunderstood / In the blink of the eye / So I take a little bad with the good / It ain't just black and white" Iggy Pop

Newbie Member

why 3dmax rules the market

my spin on it... and this may sound socially cynical... but its my opinion.

Lightwave is using regular traditional channels to market itself... like any other company... ad here, trade show there, user support, etc.
    with the equation of = advertise, collect income analyze results.

3DMax use agressive marketing...
    Get market share... send 100,000 free copies to schools, universities, etc. donate and fund private universities for insider access to course corriculum... All this with with negative income on outlay...

thus, operate at a loss, by pushing your religion (err... software) on everyone... then in time when everyone becomes a member of the church, start asking for big tithes!

This is what max did... back in the days when thier product completely sucked R1, R2 etc. Now they enjoy a healthy market share in users, and as my past experience goes alot of studios who hire new talent, in short time (if they like you, and you ask) , may be persuaded to switch to another program if it doesnt wreck the work flow.
    ie: if the studio has 35 lightwave seats but the job market has only 5 LW graduates and 5000 Max graduates... what is the studio to do? not to mention if the job market is saturated with Max animators they become less valuable (as there is more compewtition for jobs)... thus studios love it cause wages can go down.

it pretty much equates to how the Japanese stole the TV market in the US in the 70s/80s by dumping product as below cost... eventually if you have large market share the profits will come in as you jack the price and eventually you can hire the talent to make the product better...
    after all Sony makes better TVs than RCA (today at least).

They have made laws against market dumping... but that doesnt apply to donations... and since software copies essentially cost nothing... max can grab the university market by mailing free Max CDs with a pre-prepared teachers curriculum attached. Nasty approach, but hey it worked for IBM PCs in the 80s (with hardware), again for Max in the 90s, Microsoft (free web browser in the OS), etc etc...

Will Lightwave be the next Netscape? I hope not... but they keep fighting the good fight of market decency.. in an age of bullies.

I dont think this approach is fair market play... and imoral... but tis the way of the modern world....

......after all you dont need to win elections anymore... just be aggressive enough and falsely advertise the idea that you won, and no one will question you... the opponent might even just step aside. ;-)
    Last edited by crusaderx; 08-03-2004 at 09:39 AM.
    Daniel Young
    CrusaderX
    [email protected]

Hey Michael Moore, remove your mask, I have recognized U......

Back to the life of work....

Cheers and good luck Michael !

Originally posted by jin choung
    my only hope is that lw remains a viable 'ak-47' compared to the M16s of more monied products.

sure, aks ain't cuttin' edge technology.... but when ya got one pointed at ya, it's far from irrelevant.

jin
    So would you rather have an M-16 Pointed at you? I can have that arranged.
    ImageReality.com

"Relax...it's just an update for the patch to fix the nerf that nerfed the fix for the update of the patch that broke the fix that was fixed."

Late 2013 MacPro 12 Core

Smile rumors in the maya forums said...

... that NEWTEK sold LW license/code to a BIG ONE 3D COMPANY.

is this information true ?

Take a bull... a big one.... give him lots of good fat grass.... make him go to toilets... and you got... a pile of S......

They dont know hat there are saying...... Jesus will forgive'em for that....

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789