Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newteks Direction for LW - whats in future and what market is the aim towards?

Pixel realestate agent

Newteks Direction for LW - whats in future and what market is the aim towards?

Im just a bit warey on the directions and future of Lightwave.
    The Lightwave 8 release was in my books a very bad thing for new comers seeking a new package, bad for karma of current users and I feel it did leave many important issues undealt with.
    The Architectural crowd is many here, they have made simple lists on things we could all use, i suggest we all take a look at it.

In my books FPrime saved Lightwaves *** bigtime,
    and wat was it? it was a plugin that addressed
    rendering speeds!!!

I have noticed a silent shift of many great wavers leaving quietly to other packages like xsi and c4d DUE to simple features that were never addressed yet so important.

It is unfair to hope that Newtek addresses what I want,
    then releases somthing different and I get disappointed..
    It isnt fair on NT as they work hard. I like the new Newtek, they listen more to us mac users i have to add.

Are we still going to get .5 updates every 1.5 years?

Id rather small incremental updates like c4d gets.
    I feel thats the way c4d has caught up, and so can LW.

Would like to know from Proton etc where they see Lightwave going as these days the market is different, many other apps now have plagins/features that allow them to seep into other markets. I know u cant vouch secrets, but I feel the lines of market approach are blurred these days.

These doom and gloom posts come up every now and then, especially with LW8 being so late, and the not so recent staff changes at NewTek.

Then Proton or someone pops in and says, Lightwave's future has never been better. I always assumed they had some big secret they were waiting to announce when lightwave launched. But now that it is shipping, and there are no new announcements, it kind of leaves me wondering what is so bright about the future of lightwave. Maybe they are saving something for 8.5 that they thought they could get in 8.0 in december? Or is it all smoke and mirrors? The lack of communication leads me to believe that it is the latter.

If NewTek is indeed scrambling to keep it afloat at this point, it is my opinion that they should just tell us whats up. I'd be alot more likely to hang in there and stick it out for a while if they just came out and said, "ya know, were trying to get back on track" and keep us informed on whats happening. But if this hype is just to keep us from looking behind the green curtain I will be more than a little dissapointed.

So this time when Proton pops in and says, "Lightwave's future has never been brighter" I hope he will explain why that is, or at least let us know that there is more going on behind the curtain than just weaving more free plugins into the program.

Originally posted by Jockomo

Then Proton or someone pops in and says, Lightwave's future has never been better.
    LW itself has never been better.
    Nobody knows the future because nobody knows what the competition and the customers will do.
    I´m pretty sure NT isn`t happy about the price drop of the competition.
    Give the customers what they want and do it fast.
    As hard as it sounds, that`s the rule for a bright future.

Work cheap, fast and good.... and you're in... that is the motto today...

The market is becoming more and more aggressive as time passes. the success of a 3D app, belongs more and more to great ideas and clever advancements on the developing of the software itself. a good strategy both in developing and marketing.
    the time of softwares relying only on good reputation has come to an end (this is true also for softwares like Maya)
    just because new small but powerful apps are there now like MB, Silo and ZBrush

Lw is a good piece of softwares, for this reason can stand among the other ones with ease, but as time passes, advancements are what is needed.

i'm not speaking about features here and there. for this reason i use the word advancements. the work to do is at the base of the software, changing its structure to make it migrate into a new environment. this will allow advantages both to users and programmers for the future.

it requires a great planning , and a clever organization, but its possible, and really not so difficult, cause parts of the code can be used.
    IMO this is the work that have to be made during 8.x cycle, 8.0 being only a start.

A good and small team like Newtek can do this even better, just because a small team communicate better each other and share ideas and programming issues. for example, C4D team is about 7 guys. Vray rendering engine- 2 guys Z Brush 1 guy.
    Nemoid | Illustrator | 3D artist
    .::Creating for you::.

Co-founder of

www.lwita.com italian/english Lw forum

Newtek should have merged Modeller and Layout. Many Lightwavers prefer it that way but I'm sure a lot of people do not.
    Why aren't other 3d packages using a similar setup?
    I haven't heard any "The hub is just great, I love it". I don't think I'm too far off saying that many see Hub as pain-in-the-*** but we just have to live with it.
    Selling a 3d package is not about attracting new 3d users but also luring users from other 3d programs to switch to LW. The current overall 3d user base is not that huge and IMHO you just have to cut to others user base to keep afloat.

Currently Modeller is used a lot by others but Layout is not. This may lead to LW being viewed as a tool, not an all around 3d solution.

Having a faster renderer would be fine but that can be remedied by buying another computer to divvy up the rendering task.
    Furthermore Fprime appears to serve many speed increase needs.

Above is of course my humble opinion.

Originally posted by 3d user
    Newtek should have merged Modeller and Layout.
    Please start a new thread, as you are obviously trying to hijack this one. "Layout should have a spellchecker" would be equally on-topic. "My mom never made me enough peanut butter and jelly sandwiches" would also qualify.

cheers,

j
    james lloyd
    BlueSky Studios

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar

Re: Newteks Direction for LW - whats in future and what market is the aim towards?

Originally posted by Ade
    Im just a bit warey on the directions and future of Lightwave.
    The Lightwave 8 release was in my books a very bad thing for new comers seeking a new package, bad for karma of current users and I feel it did leave many important issues undealt with.
    Whoa... Dejavu all over again.
    Every time a release comes out we get a slew of these threads.

Why oh why do people feel that Newtek have any responsibility to tell users of its product the company direction and future development goals? You guys own stock or summat?
    When you buy a DTP or paint package, do you get on the companies case as to what their future plans are? I think maybe no, yet paint programs are as much a part of the studio as LW.

I dunno, I never question the direction of companies I buy software/hardware from.
    If the version I bought does what I want - fine. As and when I come to upgrade, I'll take a fresh look at the market, my budget and work from there. What I won't do is spend ages discussing and worrying over someone elses company.

If you are a studio - I'd be more inclined to ask yourself that question. Where are you going - what are you doing? Wasting energies on things you have no control over is a totally pointless exercise.
    Last edited by colkai; 04-28-2004 at 03:32 AM.
    Too old to die young.

You don't have to live with the hub. I sure don't. Just turn it off.

And I like them seperate.
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

"All war is deception." - Sun Tzu

teh lvoe not teh haet
    Originally posted by Jockomo
    Then Proton or someone pops in and says, Lightwave's future has never been better. I always assumed they had some big secret they were waiting to announce when lightwave launched. But now that it is shipping, and there are no new announcements, it kind of leaves me wondering what is so bright about the future of lightwave. Maybe they are saving something for 8.5 that they thought they could get in 8.0 in december? Or is it all smoke and mirrors? The lack of communication leads me to believe that it is the latter.

If NewTek is indeed scrambling to keep it afloat at this point, it is my opinion that they should just tell us whats up. I'd be alot more likely to hang in there and stick it out for a while if they just came out and said, "ya know, were trying to get back on track" and keep us informed on whats happening. But if this hype is just to keep us from looking behind the green curtain I will be more than a little dissapointed.

So this time when Proton pops in and says, "Lightwave's future has never been brighter" I hope he will explain why that is, or at least let us know that there is more going on behind the curtain than just weaving more free plugins into the program.
    Actually, I would like the opposite. I don't want to know what is going on. I don't want to know that an update is coming out in 6 months. That's 6 months of hype and speculation that piles up in the forums making everyone anxious and eventually hype does more bad then good when it's around too long. I only want to hear that something is going to be released when Newtek is sure of a release date.

Also, I hope that Newtek has plans to speed up their development cycle. Newtek has by far the largest gaps between product releases of any of the big 5 3d apps. I want to give Newtek more money, more frequently. Just release Lightwave updates and I'll buy them.

dynamics...so much fun ;) prospector's Avatar
    Whoa... Dejavu all over again.

I think since the LW vs Imagine battle on the Amiga

LWs future is (as I see it ) the same as it has always been.
    And it seems to be staying on track just as it always has when fully discussed about in the 'Freedom' VHS. (which I still watch).

And that is a 3D program that will fully integrate into the VT (formorly (that's for jamesl to decipher ) known as the 'Toaster/Flyer). I have always looked at LW as a plugin for the Toaster (because you have to do SOMETHING with the animations you make),and haven't been dissapointed (except for those dang radius morphs )

So until Tim Jenneson is too old to even say NEWTEK, I ain't worried about LWs future.

And I LOVE THE HUB
    And I LOVE THEM SEPERATED

There, now you've heard it
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem
    GTX 765M , 765 cores 1.5 Gig mem
    256 gigs raided SSD drive

If there isn't edges, improvements to subD texturing, an 8.1 and 8.2 release, I will be disappointed. Bugs and features from Protons Lightwave 8 videos have been left off, and the feature list changed.....If the price goes up, I'm out, as well as others I'm sure.

There is so much to love about Lightwave...especially modeler. I hope they decide to concentrate on what people use Lightwave for...mostly modeling.

ditto on the price. if it goes up, i'm moving on to similarly priced pastures.

i don't mind the 'primitivity' because of the price/performance dealy... i just want some things tightened up and official methodologies provided to deal with things like SDS/uv map distortion, bugs fixed and some of the unwieldiness stripped out and a continued emphasis on INTEROPERABILITY.

i just want newtek to define a reasonable goal and a reasonable SCOPE and address those things that they can afford to very very intelligently.

jin

p.s. and at whatever point lightwave becomes subordinate in funding, focus, purpose and publicity to toaster... ummmm, that may well signal a death knell of sorts of lw as a mainstream 3d app.
    Last edited by jin choung; 04-28-2004 at 11:05 AM.

Pixel realestate agent
    Exactly...

I dont wanna wait and wait for the next update to lightwave and all it always is a bug fix update.

I wish newtek created a trend where .2's become the modeler updates and .5's become the rendering updates..

Admittedly I've only been around since LW v7, but I confess that I don't understand the issues that people are raising here. If you want Newtek to upgrade a specific area of the software, put in a change request and you may, or may not, be disappointed. That the way it works everywhere.

But since when should users dictate the future of a particular product? This constant whining seems to be the downside of the great community that Lightwave users enjoy.

When it comes down to it, if you have real ability in the CG field then it shouldn't matter which of the higher end packages you use. There's always going to be a process of massaging the software to get it to do what you want.

Learn the art, not the software. Minor inconveniences like having the Modeller and Layout separate are just that - minor. Does anyone really lose sleep over something like that??

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast