Thread: courseware problem

courseware problem

Is anyone having difficulty with the preview tutorial in the courseware that comes with DFX+?

The problem I am having is, after copying the DVD to my HD, I loaded the flow I was working on, checked all the paths to the clips needed to point to my hard drive and saved a new flow.

Now when I preview the flow, it always stops, telling me it can't find the clips it needs, and reverts the path to the one before I saved it (O:/ - the path that the original DVD ffile used).

How is it possible to change the paths to the clips permanently? I resave, shut down DFX+. When I reload, all the paths are correct and I can scrub. I start to preview, and it craps out, looking for stuff on O: drive...

Thanks...
    All the best,
    Lee Gabel
    ___
    VFX Journal

John Fornasar
    LF,

I don't know how you moved the files from the DVD, but on the CD (the only courseware files I moved so far) I had to change them from ReadOnlys... it might be worth looking at.

John

I think you're right, John. Thanks!
    All the best,
    Lee Gabel
    ___
    VFX Journal

John Fornasar
    glad it worked out...

just received my package 2 days ago, started working through the courseware. It looks like it will be great.

I was using After Effects 3.1 up to now (really).

I'm still getting used to the interface, only had about an hour or so on it.

Hey John,

I'm in the same boat! Right down to dropping AE 3.1. I am finding DFX+ quite easy to learn. The courseware so far has made my learning curve pretty smooth.
    All the best,
    Lee Gabel
    ___
    VFX Journal

John Fornasar
    I just worked through the "hotspots", and yes, finding the tuts well done.

I'm still a little shaky with the "Loaders", I lose the clip names once in a while, but they did explain at one point that they'll change color to red when the current frame is not in the loaders in/out region.
    I thought I was doing something wrong, but the top screenshot on page 57 shows the same thing in the timeline...
    a whole load of "no clips"...

It'll probably make more sense (and be easier to work with) when I start compositing with alpha's - the frames not involved will all have the "no clip" and I'll start ignoring them.

Hey, best thing so far - don't have that AE 3.1 "what kind of Alpha are you using" (with the "Guess" button) popping up when I load PS sequences.