Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quicker DOF feedback??

quicker DOF feedback??

I can see the focal distance ring get larger or smaller, but don't see any similar feedback about f-stop...

the manual says that a quick shader render will quickly show the results of a given setting, but what I get doesn't show anything w/respect to depth of field..IOW everything looks flat, and I can't see any difference between in-focus and out-of-focus.

what I have been doing is a series of time-consuming F9 renders...is this about what everyone else has to do, too?

thanks!

J
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-13-2004 at 07:36 PM.

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Try the depth-of-field custom object. It is explaned in the LW 7.5 manual addendum.
    If you have any Q's on it, feel free to post them (I contributed it).
    Cheers,
    Mike

You can use shift+F9 to get a very quick OpenGL preview of your DOF.

Also note that the Lens F-Stop quite often has to be a very low value (0.01 -> 0.1) to get any noticeable depth-of-field - I often start with a very low number and work my way up to get just the look I want.
    Last edited by Aegis; 02-14-2004 at 09:41 AM.
    "Special power!"

Andrew G. Morgan ~ CG Gunslinger
    Survivor Films Ltd.
    London, UK
    Click here to email me!

OK..I'll try that when my screamer session finishes..

is there a way to know which number will give you the range you desire, or is it all trial and error?

J

I'm pretty sure there's some kind of formula you can use but I'm not a big fan of maths I normally just eyeball it.

As Lightwolf said you can use the DOF custom geometry object to get the Focal Distance just right - the F-Stop you'll have to tinker with.
    Last edited by Aegis; 02-14-2004 at 11:12 AM.
    "Special power!"

Andrew G. Morgan ~ CG Gunslinger
    Survivor Films Ltd.
    London, UK
    Click here to email me!

Newbie Member
    There is a good explanation of computing focal distances for DOF
    in the LW 6 Manual, Motion: Animate & Render, Chapter 7.13.
    It is shown there how to use the Pythagorean theorem to determine the exact value for the Focal Distance.

Right now im too lazy to type the whole text down here...
    but if you dont have LW 6 or the manual let me know.

cheers
    klak2005

Originally posted by Lightwolf
    Try the depth-of-field custom object. It is explaned in the LW 7.5 manual addendum.
    If you have any Q's on it, feel free to post them (I contributed it).
    Cheers,
    Mike
    OK..I'm missing something here...I have 7.5 manual update, and see where they talk about Shift-F9 but Shift-F9 does nothing for me; I'm have my mouse over a viewport in Camera view...gettin' nothing when I hit Shift-F9. I have LW 7.5c running, and my DOF for my camera IS turned on.

The Custom Objects explanation in that online helpfile doesn't really clarify things..

Any hints?

Thank you!

Johnny
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-14-2004 at 07:43 PM.

Newbie Member
    well, the explanation is in the LW7.5update pdf:

add a null-object, and apply the Depth-of-Field-Display Custom Object from the nulls Properties page.
    Parent the null-object to the camera (Parent in place = off) and you should see a bounding box which shows the area in focus determined by the dof-settings of the camera.
    When you select the camera its the blue dotted lined box named "Focus".
    Now you can change the Lens F-Stop value of the DOF and the box changes accordingly.
    klak2005

Newbie Member
    i forgot to mention...you have to close the cameras properties page after you changed the Lens F-Stop or the Focal Distance value to have Layout update the bounding box
    klak2005

does "Parent to camera" mean that the camera is the parent to that null, or the null is parent to the camera?

J

Newbie Member
    it means:
    select the null, hit the m-key (motion-options) and select the Camera as "Parent item".
    klak2005

Just a quick setup example. BTW: to parent A to B means to make A a child of B. In this example "Your_null" is a child of "Camera".
    Attached Images Attached Images

thank you for that!
    crystal clear now; I have it working.

J

dof is a painful part of all 3d software, a basic dof can be done into the 3d software, but if you want to work with more freedom is better to do in a postpro software, or in a retouch software (if you work on single image).

You can export easely a depth map which allow you to do a good depth of field add, with out pain and time waste from infinite test.

depth of field in rendering can be a time waster be cause it's slow, and not often enought clear to understand the focus zone.

and if you do an error in render, you must delete all work, if you do in postpro, in a few second you can change and recover the error.

my 2 cent

Originally posted by pixelinfected
    dof is a painful part of all 3d software, a basic dof can be done into the 3d software, but if you want to work with more freedom is better to do in a postpro software, or in a retouch software (if you work on single image).

You can export easely a depth map which allow you to do a good depth of field add, with out pain and time waste from infinite test.
    yeah..I'm beginning to feel that pain. My sequence with DOF took about 24 hours; without, it took 8-10hrs!!

Is there a tutorial for doing what you suggest with a combination of LW and FCP or Cinepaint?

J

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast