Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poser anim to LW Motion Mixer

LW Motion Mixer Question

Hi!

I have a Poser eagle with an animated flapping wing cycle that I brought into LW using Pro Pack. I am a major amateur at animation so please forgive these two questions if the answer is blatantly obvious.
    1. The only way I could see to 'capture' the flapping wing cycle (and any animation cycle for that matter) is to use Motion Mixer. So you create your actor, capture the cycle into a motion file and drop that motion file onto the Motion Mixer timeline (or stretch it) for as many frames as you need the motion repeated. Is there a better, easier way?
    2. I tried the Motion Mixer tutorial in the HTML LW manual and got it to work fine. But then I brought in the 25 frame flapping wing cycle, created my actor, and it SEEMED to create the motion file, but when I repeatedly dropped the motion or stretched it on a longer timeline it just kept ending at 25 frames. I tried keyframing every single frame but that didn't help either.

Hope I explained this well. Could anyone please help?
    Thanks!!
    Last edited by Grace; 02-01-2004 at 02:04 PM.

I use the Poser Pro Pack plug-in quite often and really love it. To the best of my knowledge, the actual animation is controlled entirely by Poser. Your Poser scene file is only being 'hosted' in Lightwave and therefore none of it's animation information is available in the different Lightwave tools such as Motion Mixxer.

The only way to squash or stretch the timing of your Poser animation is to do it in Poser (Animation Menu>Retime Animation) and then reload the scene in Lightwave.

If you just want to loop the animation, use the PzrForLW - PoserDisplacement plug-in interface and then, under the Scene Options tab select "Loop" under "If frame is out of range".

Great!! It's nice to see another Poser user! It tried your suggestion and it works REALLY well! I've have Pro Pack for a bazillion (well maybe just a couple) years and never even thought to go into the Displacement. I love Pro Pack too...I wrote a little script to scale my Poser figures up to real life scale but have yet to find an easy way to change all the textures from a blending mode of 'multiply' to 'normal'. How do you do it (sorry to bug you) and thanks for your help!!

I do not know of any LScripts that properly reconfigure the texture maps. But here is my approach to the situation...

When you import a Poser scene file into Lightwave, the plug in generates a folder with a Lightwave conversion of the models contained in the Poser scene (as you probably know). This is when the LScript you are talking about would be nice but instead a little work comes in. Often times the texture maps are only in the color channel and they are additive blending mode instead of normal blending mode. Change it to normal blending mode and then copy that current layer and try pasting it into the diffuse, specular, bump, etc., channels. In so doing you can really add some quality to the renders.

Once I have the texture setup on the Poser scene model the way I like it, I create a new folder called MasterModels and save current object as...

You can also activate subdivision surfaces on the models used by the Poser plug in...

So for example, after adjusting your eagle so that you like the texture, save him as Eagle_POLYGON.lwo. Then SAVE AS another one and call it Eagle_SUBDIVISION.lwo, and then take that model into modeler, select quadrangles and triangles and hit the tab key to activate subdivision surfaces. Then load it back into Lightwave and make certain that you set SUBDIVISION ORDER to LAST (In your OBJECT PROPERTIES panel under the GEOMETRY tab.

Now then, once you have your 'MasterModels', each new Poser scene of the eagle, such as Eagle_Flying.pz3, Eagle_Landing.pz3, Eagle_Whatever.pz3 can be loaded into Lightwave and then you select the generic Eagle model that it generates when you first import the Poser scene file and then you go ITEMS: REPLACE WITH OBJECT FILE and select either Eagle_POLYGON.lwo or Eagle_SUBDIVISION.lwo, whichever you desire based on the smoothness needed in the model. If the Eagle_SUBDIVISION looks like a big freaky mess, remember, set SUBDIVISION ORDER to LAST. Then save your Lightwave scene so that the next time you load it you're all set or if you want to do a network render it is nice because the Poser plug in works with Screamer Net.

I hope this helps. I continue to really appreciate Poser Pro Pack and Poser 5 because it has a community that is loaded with pre - rigged humanoids and characters and they are very good quality and very affordable.

dynamics...so much fun ;) prospector's Avatar
    Have either of you checked out the Poser 2 LW plugins by Greenbriar?

It sets up the textures, sets up the animations from poser, conforms the clothes you set in poser to body all with only a couple of mouse clicks.
    I just got it for Christmas and I really like it alot.
    (no I don't work for him) (same one who made the new morph mixer for LW8).
    It even sets all the morphs up corectly from Mimic.

Oh yea...ya might wanna try to save the animations in poser as a BVH file...LW will import them. That MAY work with the plugs you have.
    Last edited by prospector; 03-03-2004 at 02:21 PM.
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem
    GTX 765M , 765 cores 1.5 Gig mem
    256 gigs raided SSD drive

LAD3D - thanks for the helpful advice! I never thought to copy the textures to the different channels...great idea. I did activate the subdivision surfaces on a candle object because it was one of the few objects I bought that was a bit jagged and it worked wonderfully, but I wasn't aware of setting the SUBDIVISION order to last. I guess I was just fortunate that the object was simple enough that it rendered quite nicely.

I agree with you about Poser. My modelling skills are practically non-existant, but I love texturing and making stories. Poser has been a huge contributor to my model collection!

Prospector - thanks also for your advice! I do own the Greenbriar products (I LOVE plugins) and they work well, but I found that although some objects load very well, I have problems with loading props. It also seems to crash Modeler every time I use it. I'm not complaining though...it could just be me and my system. CR2 does a great job of importing the textures, but ProPack is a bit more stable for me.

Hmmm..never crashed on mine..
    Have you e-mailed David? He might have an update.
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem

Thanks...I think I will. So yours is pretty stable, huh? And if you save a scene with a prop in it and import it as a pz3 it works?

Pz3???
    No I use all the Cr2s
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem

Yep, PZ3! It says on the Greenbriar website... 'Directly Import Poser PZ3 / PZZ / CR2 / CRZ / PP2 / PPZ / HR2 / HRZ files into Lightwave' under the CR2 Loader link. So I thought it would work like ProPack which loads the PZ3 scene files. I had good success with the CR2 files though!

No, I mean I know about the PZ3 files but only use the CR2s
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem

Newbie Member

Greenbriar Poser Plug-ins for LightWave

prospector -- I purchased the Greenbriar Poser plug-ins for LightWave and was very pleased with the results for still images. However, I did have a couple of problems with CR2 Rigger and weight maps. When using CR2 Loader to import characters do you select "Triangulate Mesh" and Create Weight Maps "Shaded"? Or, do you have a different configuration?

Any tips for using Animation Loader would also be appreciated. For example, what is the best type of Poser file to use for animation, .pz3, .bvh or?

prospector...ooops...hehe..sorry

When using CR2 Loader to import characters do you select "Triangulate Mesh" and Create Weight Maps "Shaded"? Or, do you have a different configuration?

I have no boxes checked off and (trying to remember here as I am not in that proggy right now) but I do know it's the last button on the weight line (far right) but don't remember the exact name.

Haven't really used PZ3 files yet so I use the BVH as LW imports them directly as a sort of native file. so they can be used in motion mixer and just about everywhere that motion files can be used.
    Also the BVH files are saved from Mimic (another excellent side effect of Davids plug-ins) in BVH and it's much easier to get figures to talk right.

If you don't have Mimic (and I think a lite ver is coming in 8) then you should get it (even ver 1, which is what I have and it works great)
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem

Newbie Member
    prospector -- Thanks for the information! I'll try using the CR2 File Loader without "Triangulate Mesh" checked. It should reduce the size of the file. The only problem I had with this unchecked was a few non-planar polygons. In addition, the weight maps needed to be manipulated.

Are you using DAZ's "Millennium" figures in your LightWave animations? Do you have any samples of the work you created with the Greenbriar products?

By-the-way, DAZ Productions has just released Mimic 2 Pro for LightWave. I have Mimic 2 Pro and will probably purchase the LightWave version. I have not tried importing Mimic 2 Pro BVH files with the Animation Loader plug-in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast