Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maya 5 vs. Lightwave 8

Maya 5 vs. Lightwave 8

Hello,

I've decided to go to school and finally begin to learn one of these 3d packages. I am wondering if anyone can tell me how they feel lightwave 8 will compare to maya 5..... and which one I should choose.

I have heard that maya is the most powerfull of all..... but I've tried lightwave before..and it seems a lot easier to learn.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Tom

lw is easer to learn, 1 person can go further faster.

maya is the film champ, used by huge teams. super specialized people.

so what do you want to do? work with large teams and do specific things (textureing, particles) or a little of everythjing.

if specific --> maya
    if a little of everyhting --> lw

1millionth time i';ve seen this question. don't worry about it though. i use both. there is enough time to learn both.

Yup, maya can be very confusing for the beginner. You can always download Maya ple later when you've got to grips with the whole 3d thing.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

The reason Maya is so powerfull (among other reasons) is the way it was written.
    Maya was written with open-ness (is that a word) and scripting in mind.
    It is very easy in Maya to bang an MEL script onto basically everything else thus allowing you expand your tools (also, Maya's Hypergraph is amazing.)

LW is just easy (and different) and has most tools just out of the box, it works well, has a decent renderer and is unfortunatly not as open as Maya is.

One thing both programs have in common is that they both need lots and lots of workarounds to get anything done inside a real work environment where anything more complex is being done than making a shiny plastic ball bounce, but these 'workarounds' you'll pick up along the road when working long enough with any given piece of software.

Just don't believe any 'making-offs' or other such propaganda that make you think Maya is the end to all means, not one piece of (3d) software is.

Just go with what your budget allows you to buy or what seems to you the most easy to use, you can always switch later on, all 3d software is basically build on the same basic principals.
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein
    visit my company site : House of Secrets
    visit my personal site : svenneve.com

IMHO, Maya has very powerful architecture, allowing you to solve different problems in many ways. There are many powerful tools, and it`s really fast. With LW you can do things much easier, sure. My opinion is that LW is the best for modelling, but Maya is excellent for animation, and rendering (with Mental Ray)
    Jester

Me is me you are you,
    Who is the jackass?
    Me or you?

Super Duper Member! :)

Personally...

I think a combination of Lightwave and Motionbuilder beats the heck out of anything that Maya can do by itself. There were some Motionbuilder PE upgrade offers out there, but think they may be over now.
    If you want a REAL DEAL go to http://www.cafeshops.com/mastermesh where you can get over 4000 jpg files on cd for $18.99

I`m not convinced about this. I use all of them on daily basis, and I can assure you that nothing can beat Maya connection abilities. Motionbuilder and LW is an excellent pair of weapons, but Maya flexibility cannot be beaten. Okay, LW and motionbuilder could drive faster to certain solutions, for sure
    Jester

Me is me you are you,
    Who is the jackass?
    Me or you?

LightWave is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper too!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Lightwave is EASY?

Let's not kid ourselves here.

I've been using lots of different 3d programs and almost none has had me scratching my head the way LW has.

Let's see... you want to use Sasquatch Lite? You have to enable it in TWO places... Ok, not too hard, since the manual says it right off the bat. But still, wouldn't you think the program would be "smart enough" to enable it in Effects when you tag it on to an object? Come on!

Not to mention modeler.. Send to layout - what - replaces whatever you have currently? Huh? And if you import something else, it changes the first object you've imported to the same object? Wha?

How about keeping related windows open and in a scrollable panel on the side of the screen?

Let's see... how do I control the camera from within camera view? Not with the same controls I use in Perspective view. But they're available through key combinations. Why?

Look, Lightwave has a LOT going for it, EASE of learning is not one of the things. ANYTHING is easy once you become proficient. But if you might suggest that intuitive interface and workflow is part of ease, Lightwave ain't easy.

Maybe some of this will be addressed. Maybe not. I know Lightwave is highly configurable (based on what the manual says) but until you know how to use it all there's no sense in shifting things around at first. Either way, sure, you can learn Lightwave. But I'll say this: things that are dead dumb easy in other programs should also be that way in this one.

Andrew

Hi Guys,

Thanks alot for the reply......I think that in a sense it doesn't matter what program I choose to learn, that all of them can pretty much do the same things..... or so it seems from the galleries and samples I've seen. I thik I'm going to go with Lighwave..wait till Lightwave 8......Maya is too freakin complicated.......too many buttons and checkboxes and words that I do not understand....Lightwave seems to appeal to the creative aspect mroe then the technical....plus I don't thikn I will ever get into scripting and stuff...don't have a programmers mind.

Thanks alot guys for all your answers!

Tom

Turner: the reason things are enabled in 2 places is so that you can setup the scene with Sasquatch/SasLite or whatever else and when you want to do a test render without using SasQuatch you can disable it from the pixel filter menu and still have all the objects with the same settings, so when Sas is enabled later on you dont have to setup the settings again--

anyone can learn lightwave, i'm sure thats true about other programs also, and i'm not gonna dis Maya because I've never used it

Lightwave seems to appeal to the creative aspect mroe then the technical....plus I don't thikn I will ever get into scripting and stuff...don't have a programmers mind.
    Wise choice I think you just put your finger on it.., LW is more inspiring to me too. In the long run, you can do a helluva lot more in Maya though. (thats why it costs at least 7 times as much...)

Turner: You're right, LW is not a very logical or intuitive program and its interface confuses most people. (and it is not very configurable at all.)
    Considering its history, I doubt that this will ever change. (otherwise it would have been one integrated app by now...) However, when you're used to its quirks, it just Rocks, Vooms, and Zooms like nothing else.

my 2 eurocts..
    Stijn.

Originally posted by Matt
    LightWave is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper too!
    Hmm, don't know about waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper. List price for Maya 5 Complete is $1999. List price for LW is $1595. I actually was drawn to Maya by it's built in rigid and soft body dynamics. I personally get too frustrated with MD, and there's currently a total lack of a built in ridig body solution. I think these tools alone would offset the price difference. Though, it looks as that's about to change when(?) LW8 makes it through the gates...

Just my $2. Used to be $.02, but gotta account for inflation, cost of living, yada, yada...
    Check out the free computer arts forums at
    http://www.akota.com

IMHO, I still think it all boils down to picking the right tool for the job. I haven't seen ANY app, 3D or otherwise, that provides all the features under the sun a user could ever want. I know the original poster was looking for suggestions as far as what to start with, but it looks like the heart of the question got diluted into the beginnings of an app war...
    Check out the free computer arts forums at
    http://www.akota.com

FWIW I don't think the "heart of the question" got diluted...

"Maya 5 vs. Lightwave 8"

Stressing "vs."...

Anyway, it's all about the app war, if that's what critical comparison is.

Fact is, LW, just like anything else, is just a tool.

but it looks like the heart of the question got diluted into the beginnings of an app war...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast