Thread: Creating a 3D globe

Unhappy Creating a 3D globe

Ok, I'm just trying different things trying to learn Light wave. I want to start small. I am trying to create my own planet. I then want to make it 3D and then render so that it rotates. I'd like to add rings later on. However, I've made the globe. I did half and then mirrored the other side and I just created the globe whole. When I got to add skin it does all but 1/4 of the globe. It will not do the whole thing. I have no back ground in this. I tried attaching the object but it only allows pics. Can anyone suggest something?
    Sean

Amused
    Hi Sean,

Look in the content files that came with LightWave, and in either the Geography or Space folders, there should be several versions of planets and earth. They start as a simple ball and then there are several images that are spherically wrapped around the ball to make a globe.

HTH

TW

I would actually like to render the spear personally because I'll be rendering Misc. vehicles for web sites. I then them full 3D. I'll also be doing customize bumpers, frames, lights, seats and so on. So I really do need to learn this.
    Sean

Try this great tutorial site

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetuto...pace%20Objects

look at the planet tutorials...good luck...no dont for get to let us see the results

Rob T

Amused
    Originally posted by 89civic
    I would actually like to render the spear personally because I'll be rendering Misc. vehicles for web sites. I then them full 3D. I'll also be doing customize bumpers, frames, lights, seats and so on. So I really do need to learn this.
    Understood. What I meant was, look at the way they did it and see if it can help you create your own. The spherical wrapping of the images is especially cool. I saved their object as a separate file and then replaced different parts until I had what I wanted. Look closely at the Surface Editor for the Earth objects, and you'll get a great tutorial all in one object!

TW
    Last edited by Tom Wood; 01-14-2004 at 03:15 PM.