Thread: Teams and NDI

Teams and NDI

Hi friends, someone knows if microfost has a whitepaper about NDI in teams?

I have some quesionts that i find answer on facebook groups but nothing oficial.

for example a lot of people said that the max output of NDI feeds on teams is 8 - 9 signals ( I try to check it on microsoft webpage but not find nothing about it)
    also about the type of accout. If i'm host of the meeting can i get NDI feeds from my guest if they are not microsoft user? ( other type of account for example @gmail) or free teams account?

one a participant share his ppt sometime this is available as an independent feed but sometimes it's not. what is the requeriment?
    I read that te compression is not the same as and NDI signal because teams compress the signal in h264 so there is a table of that?

thanks friends

Tricaster is the best thing that i've used since I played with my atari
    Gear Used:
    Tricaster: All 3Play:440
    Cam: JVC GY-HM600, GY-HM150U
    Facebook
    Twitter

I'm not aware of anything from Microsoft that goes into this level of detail, but I'll fill in what I know.

The maximum number of live NDI channels from Teams is 9 (or 8) depending on the version. Some earlier versions of Teams where only supporting up to 8 NDI outputs, but most recent version should be supporting 9. You might see more than 9 NDI channels available from Teams as selections, but once you go above the maximum number you will not get video but a Teams logo.

The screen share should be available, I don't know why it wouldn't be. Unless you are at the maximum number of live NDI channels, I believe that the screen share counts as one of your 9 NDI feeds.

Teams does use H.264 compression for the communication between the other Teams clients. When operating a Teams system with maximum NDI, you will need a very powerful system with a good GPU to keep up with everything. NDI is very CPU efficient, but H.264 can be very intensive for encoding and decoding in CPU, having a GPU will help off load all of this (Teams does leverage the GPU).

Also, be aware that the NDI video resolution and audio will match that of the Teams source. A 640x480 caller will generate a 640x480 NDI signal, and if the caller resolution changes so will the resolution of NDI. I bring this up, because if all 8 or 9 callers happen to be running at maximum resolution at the same time, it is possible that you can overload a 1Gb network connection with all network traffic. Luckily, a TriCaster can help greatly in managing this bandwidth, but it does depend on the workflow as to if you will still run out of bandwidth. If you are planning on maximum output from Teams, I'd make sure that the system has at least two 1Gb NICs connected to the NDI network.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

thanks for all the information Master kanep. I learn a lot of your comments on face group also.

only 2 things if you or anybody know.s
    about screen share, is the same share the PPT and share the screen? on the ppt i see that teams perform something like a load as the video do also, instead screen share go without any load. so the ndi feed will be generated in any of these cases ?

and the most important thing that a lot of people ask. I know that I ( the host) need a pay account in order get ndi feeds, but how about my guest? they will need a pay account or it can be the free account?

Tricaster is the best thing that i've used since I played with my atari
    Gear Used:
    Tricaster: All 3Play:440
    Cam: JVC GY-HM600, GY-HM150U
    Facebook
    Twitter

As I understand, the screen share is for anything using the 'share' option in Teams, be it a screen or application.

The remote clients do no need NDI enabled, just the copy on your side with the production gear.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Hi...

Has anyone experienced high latency (up to 6-7 frames) when running Teams sources via NDI to the TriCaster (TC1 in our case). We often see that video and audio is out of sync with this setup. Is it possible that the TC needs to resync the NDI sources which causes delay/latency?

/Fredrik

In my discussions with Microsoft, when working with larger NDI setups in Teams, you need a powerful system running Teams, both CPU and GPU wise.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.