Thread: Mini 4K NDI camera inputs randomly changing.

Mini 4K NDI camera inputs randomly changing.

After a couple of months of using our TC Mini 4K without major issue we've encountered a strange situation. I have three NDIHX-PTZ1 cameras in input 1, 2 and 3. Today for some reason they randomly started changing position by themselves. Camera 1 would be in input 3, Camera 3 would go to input 1 and then they would switch around to input 2 like musical chairs. Every 20-30 seconds they would make a change. I'd go reset the inputs to where they were intended to be and then they would move again by themselves. Any suggestions of what might be causing this.? Other inputs from two Spark units did not move but the NDI connected cameras were showing this behaviour. All versions are current.

I've never heard of this occurring. How are the cameras connected? Directly to the network ports on the Mini or thru a network switch?
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I have it setup with a 100' cable running to a powered switch and then 50' cables running to each camera. I've setup this way several times to get the run needed already without incident. The only difference is today the system was on for much longer which may have introduced a heat issue but the switch was not feeling warm.

There's not, by any chance, something else connected to the same switch that might have a DHCP server?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

No, I've only got ND1 out from Mini to the switch and then Cam 1, 2, 3 from switch. I have a spark and a computer using Nd3 and Nd4. Turned on this morning and have stability but those intermittent things are the ones that drive me crazy the most.

No wishful thinking, it's back to jumping through the inputs again.

But it looks like the the cameras are on the same switch (which are having issues) while the Sparks are direct connected (and not having issues).

So this would seem to point to the switch/network that the Mini and cameras are connected to. What is the switch? Do you have another switch you can try? What else is on this switch?
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Yes I agree I think the switch or the ethernet cable to the switch may be the culprit. It is tp-link TL-SG1005P 5 port PoE. Only the 3 cameras are on it. The 100' cable is a flat cable and I don't think it may be as robust as a traditional ethernet cable. I don't have another PoE switch to try but will try to swap out the cable first.

That switch is only rated for PoE, while the PTZ1 camera need PoE+ to operate correctly. I wonder you have cameras powering up and down? I'd replace the switch.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Aah, well that maybe the problem then. Thank you for letting me know. Is there a brand of PoE+ that you like? Would the PoE still be sufficient for the Spark Plus I/O?

Would this type work? TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit PoE Switch | 8 PoE+ Ports @63W, w/ 1 Uplink Gigabit Port + 1 SFP Slot
    Last edited by Jmcnally; 11-30-2020 at 07:05 PM.