Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing tools in new install of Lightwave 2020

Missing tools in new install of Lightwave 2020

I just installed Lightwave 2020 and there are missing tools in the Create tab. "Polygons" and "Curves" which should be the last two under "Points" are missing.

The instructions in the Help section of the program are for Lightwave 2019 it looks like and they are there in the instructions but not in the 2020 version I'm looking at on my screen.

Is it supposed to be that way?

I uninstalled the whole program and reinstalled it, still missing the same tools. I don't think it is an ext. file issue in user/newtek. in windows.

ALT+F10, brings up 'Configure Keys' menu, little button top right 'Presets' toggle it open and choose a version, any version and let go, open it a second time and choose 'Default', close window, if this does not work you need to scan directory, easy way- 'O' to open 'General Options' General tab at bottom 'Auto scan Plugins' make sure its checked, close panel quit and relaunch, see if all your plugins are there, if they are not you probably have tools in a separate location, 'ALT+F11 to open 'Edit Plugins' choose scan directory from right hand side and navigate to where you put them and hit OK

I put 2020.02 on a removable drive in a folder I named Newtek alone, loaded from a fresh file off of my account page. I've loaded all the C++Visual files and Python files. The software appears to be running in half Discovery mode, still, although I can save the files now my Surfaces window still hides the lower tabs from changing the settings.
    I'm wondering if it will operate on a removable drive properly or if it has to run from the drive my operating system is on? I don't know about missing files if there is because I don't know what is supposed to be there after it loads. I upgraded from Lightwave 8.5 64 bit, it's on the same removable drive in it's own folder but it works running on Windows 10 and all the tools work.

Quote Originally Posted by dogor View Post
    I just installed Lightwave 2020 and there are missing tools in the Create tab. "Polygons" and "Curves" which should be the last two under "Points" are missing.

The instructions in the Help section of the program are for Lightwave 2019 it looks like and they are there in the instructions but not in the 2020 version I'm looking at on my screen.

Is it supposed to be that way?
    If you click the help link it should be LW2020 documents, it is on mine.

Why is it not installed on your main drive?
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.14 RX580 Pulse LW2020
    (plugins: LWCad 2020, TFD 1443, Syflex 2018, StarPro(2.3) 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, Daz Mocap, DP Light 2020, Quadpanels 1.53)

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    If you click the help link it should be LW2020 documents, it is on mine.

Why is it not installed on your main drive?
    That works, just that the manual mentions Lightwave 2019 a lot and the images of the interface I'm looking at are noticeably different which apparently is not a problem because the two versions are very similar and the appearances can be changed to even look like earlier versions, I'm assuming from what I've studied.

I've read the install chapter in the online manual, nothing is mentioned about where you can install LW 2020 and the installer gives you the option to change directories and put it where ever you want.

I started doing that with my 3d software because Windows put so much security on their OS files that some programs couldn't access files or it could create one but couldn't alter it later, the easy fix for me was to run it on another drive like a removable where there was less security.

Windows Firewall, I've given it permissions when it asked, that's all I can vouch for.

Have you tried installing it on your pc also, to see if it fixes the problem.
    You can always uninstall it later.

The problem is, it needs to put config files in your system folders, this might be confusing it.
    (plugins: LWCad 2020, TFD 1443, Syflex 2018, StarPro(2.3) 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, Daz Mocap, DP Light 2020, Quadpanels 1.53)

Have you tried installing it on your pc also, to see if it fixes the problem.
    You can always uninstall it later.

The problem is, it needs to put config files in your system folders, this might be confusing it.
    I'll try uninstalling and then reinstalling it again and see. Then I'll report.

Uninstalling it including saying yes when it asks if you want to remove documentation and reinstalling again to the default destination paths did not fix it.

"Polgons" and "Curves" in the "Create" tab are still missing. I submitted a bug report for tech assistance in resolving the issue. Did the simplest load there is. It takes the License when I drag and drop it every time like a champ. I close and reopen, same thing, missing tools.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    ALT+F10, brings up 'Configure Keys' menu, little button top right 'Presets' toggle it open and choose a version, any version and let go, open it a second time and choose 'Default', close window, if this does not work you need to scan directory, easy way- 'O' to open 'General Options' General tab at bottom 'Auto scan Plugins' make sure its checked, close panel quit and relaunch, see if all your plugins are there, if they are not you probably have tools in a separate location, 'ALT+F11 to open 'Edit Plugins' choose scan directory from right hand side and navigate to where you put them and hit OK
    When I hot key Alt+F11 and scan the Newtek folder in Programs, it crashes and wants to send a bug report.

Lastly, this is an upgrade to LW 2020.

It was an option available on my account page under the system files for LW8.5, I assumed it was optional to upgrade from Lightwave 8.5 or it wouldn't be there, right?

Maybe not, I don't know. Maybe it needs files from a younger 2019 version or something. I'm through with it for now, I've tried everything my understanding can permit, that isn't much admittedly.

When I hot key Alt+F11 and scan the Newtek folder in Programs, it crashes and wants to send a bug report.

Only the folder inside the NewTek 2020.0,2 application folder titled 'support' contains the plugins, try a more specific scan choosing just that one folder

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post

Only the folder inside the NewTek 2020.0,2 application folder titled 'support' contains the plugins, try a more specific scan choosing just that one folder
    It finds 1450 plugins in 3162 files scanning the 'support' folder. I went back to Alt+f10 and repeated the steps and picked 2019 and closed it by clicking 'Done'. I reopened it again and returned it to 'Default' and nothing new happens.

Quote Originally Posted by dogor View Post
    Lastly, this is an upgrade to LW 2020.

It was an option available on my account page under the system files for LW8.5, I assumed it was optional to upgrade from Lightwave 8.5 or it wouldn't be there, right?

Maybe not, I don't know. Maybe it needs files from a younger 2019 version or something. I'm through with it for now, I've tried everything my understanding can permit, that isn't much admittedly.
    Every build of LW is completely independent and needs no files from previous versions.
    Did you create a Preferences folder for the configs within the 2020.0.2 folder?

So just to clarify you installed it onto your OS hard (or ssd) drive.

Every build of LW is completely independent and needs no files from previous versions.
    Did you create a Preferences folder for the configs within the 2020.0.2 folder?

So just to clarify you installed it onto your OS hard (or ssd) drive.
    Yes, I uninstalled LW 2020.02 from the removable drive I originally put it and reinstalled it on my OS drive without changing any of the installer's presets. I've restarted my computer during these processes also after I installed the license just to be sure everything settled in.

So if the installer is a complete version complete with all the Modeler plugin tools needed for the "Polygons" and "Curves" tools, why don't they appear?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast