Thread: Importing animated character from one scene to another

Importing animated character from one scene to another

Hi, is it possible to import a character animated using IKBooster in one scene into another? I've tried using Load Items from Scene which brings in the object and bone rig ok but none of the animation is imported and checking on "Merge Only Motion Envelopes" doesn't bring in any animated keyframes either.
    Adrian.

"Dreams are good, but memories are better"

I often use this feature to add animated characters to the final scenes, but I did not have to load aniation built on an IKBooster. I'll try to do a couple of tests, but I think Ryan Roy could give a more complete answer.

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by adrian View Post
    Hi, is it possible to import a character animated using IKBooster in one scene into another? I've tried using Load Items from Scene which brings in the object and bone rig ok but none of the animation is imported and checking on "Merge Only Motion Envelopes" doesn't bring in any animated keyframes either.
    If you don't mind baking,
    Bake Scene tool should do what you want, in a few mouse clicks:
    http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Dire...-Ins/BakeScene

IKBooster does not handle storing the animation into the scene file. If load from scene is not working for you, the issue you have has nothing to do with IKBooster.

Constraints however could be a different story, as there are certain functions in LW which may lose object references when load from scene is utilized under certain circumstances.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

- try deleting everything but the character
    - then save the scene,
    - then import from scene
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Interestingly if I Load item from scene using an animated character NOT animated using IkBooster (ie just normal bones) the animation loads fine.

EDIT: I came across this video today and I've learnt so much from it in terms of the basics of rigging and IK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXdgyM0sZIk
    Last edited by adrian; 11-27-2020 at 10:17 AM.
    Adrian.

More details needed:

1. Which LW version/revision?

2. Are you saving / loading on same version+revision of LW?

3. Is character anim being originally imported from FBX or any other "extra steps" not mentioned above?

I definitely recall some "LFS Merge Motion Env" problems in LW2020 revisions, and don't recall all being fixed in LW2020.0.2.

Interestingly if I Load item from scene using an animated character NOT animated using IkBooster (ie just normal bones) the animation loads fine.
    Are you certain you're actually _saving_ the animation somewhere in the first place?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

peculiar.

thing is, it should, since the IK animation isn't / shouldn't be, any different whether IKB is used or not.

Yep tried it on multiple objects now, no problems at all using "normal" skelegons that I convert to bones that are then animated using IK "manually" but absolutely no animation saved when using IKB. I'm using LW 2018.0.7 and not saving/loading between deifferent versions and characters are LWO format.

Not really too much of an issue now I know I can load non IKB animations into another scene. My experiences of IKB thus far have left me considering whether it's best to leave it well alone. It seems I am always one click away from the next inexplicable "feature".
    Adrian.

Ryan's series is a Must if you want to use IKB
    https://www.liberty3d.com/2014/02/th...-by-ryan-roye/