Thread: Apple M1 Chip Compatability

Apple M1 Chip Compatability

Does anyone know if the new Macs are compatible with NDI? Just wondering before I decide to make an upgrade.

There hasn't been an NDI update for the new M1 chips. I'm not sure how well Rosetta 2 emulation will work for this, until native support is added, I wouldn't plan on it.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Any idea on when support could be added?

Apple M1 Chip compatability

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    There hasn't been an NDI update for the new M1 chips. I'm not sure how well Rosetta 2 emulation will work for this, until native support is added, I wouldn't plan on it.
    Rosetta does not work with it.

I have been forced to send my Apple Mac Mini with the M1 because the NDI scan converter crashes every time. The Scan converter works well with Big Sur on the intel machine Mac Mini, but as I said crashes every time when started. The other tools start up, and seem to work, but not this one.
    I hope Newtek updates this app to work with the new Apple M1 Chip.

Does anyone have the same experience?

This is the most important app in the bundle for me as I stream from Faithlife Proclaim as an NDI souce to Ecamm Live where I live stream many times a week. Therefore, if this one app does not work, it shuts down my work process. So I had no alternative than to send the Mac Mini back.
    If and when Newtek updates the app to work with the M1 Chip, I will order this amazingly fast machine again.

Thank you for any help with this.

I figured this would be the case. I've ready countless other forums and FB groups that are noting similar issues. Hope we can see support added soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jwlmedia View Post
    Rosetta does not work with it.

I have been forced to send my Apple Mac Mini with the M1 because the NDI scan converter crashes every time. The Scan converter works well with Big Sur on the intel machine Mac Mini, but as I said crashes every time when started. The other tools start up, and seem to work, but not this one.
    I hope Newtek updates this app to work with the new Apple M1 Chip.

Does anyone have the same experience?

Thank you for any help with this.
    We did a fair bit of testing with the Apple DTK ahead of the M1 launch and found that the Rosetta2 emulation of NDI actually works incredibly well - with really good performance.

However, we did uncover a bug in NDI which may affect *some* apps. Rosetta reports the capabilities of the CPU, and a call in NDI will judge if that is acceptable to run NDI or not. It turns out the NDI code to interpret the returned information has a tiny bug which means that if you ask NDI if its compatible it will say NO, but if you just go ahead and use it - it will work FINE. We reported this and I suspect it has already been fixed - it was a one line of code issue.

So, any application crash or report of 'not compatible' you are seeing is a side effect of this 'does it ? doesn't it ?' issue and it is NOT an issue with Rosetta interpreting NDI code at all.

Note that the Sienna NDI ScanConverter works fine on the Apple Silicon. I suspect the next release of NewTek ScanConverter will be fine too.
    Last edited by livepad; 11-28-2020 at 12:02 PM.

Any developer using the PROPER recommendation from the SDK (section 14 of the NDI SDK Doc) will not initialize on M1 CPU.

Any developer that bypass the recommended way of initializig will have a working set on seemingly "unsupported" CPUs.

This explains why some apps works, and some other don't. It is up to each deleloper to implement the fix.

More infos about this : https://github.com/Palakis/obs-ndi/i...ment-735434933

Quote Originally Posted by livepad View Post
    We did a fair bit of testing with the Apple DTK ahead of the M1 launch and found that the Rosetta2 emulation of NDI actually works incredibly well - with really good performance.

However, we did uncover a bug in NDI which may affect *some* apps. Rosetta reports the capabilities of the CPU, and a call in NDI will judge if that is acceptable to run NDI or not. It turns out the NDI code to interpret the returned information has a tiny bug which means that if you ask NDI if its compatible it will say NO, but if you just go ahead and use it - it will work FINE. We reported this and I suspect it has already been fixed - it was a one line of code issue.

So, any application crash or report of 'not compatible' you are seeing is a side effect of this 'does it ? doesn't it ?' issue and it is NOT an issue with Rosetta interpreting NDI code at all.

Note that the Sienna NDI ScanConverter works fine on the Apple Silicon. I suspect the next release of NewTek ScanConverter will be fine too.

I am not given the options to run or not to run. It simply crashes when started. It seems to only be on the NDI scan converter. The others seem to work.

I am not given the options to run or not to run. It simply crashes when started. It seems to only be on the NDI scan converter. The others seem to work.
    Another note: I have the Sienna scan converter and it does not crash, but it does not do what it is supposed to do on the M1, but it works with Big Sur, on the intel based mac.

Another note: I have the Sienna scan converter and it does not crash, but it does not do what it is supposed to do on the M1, but it works with Big Sur, on the intel based mac.
    If you have problems please contact Sienna Support.

It was previously tested as working correctly on Apple Silicon using the Apple Developer Transition Kit, and I just checked it again and it does precisely what it is supposed to.

if there are specific issues with M1 vs the DTK then please contact support and report them.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Hello. Is there any update about NDI SDK being compiled for Apple M1 ? Thank you.

For the record, NDI works fine so far with Rosetta. However, you should not using NDIlib_is_supported_CPU() function (because it would always return false on M1) and rather relies on the result of NDIlib_initialize() function (to check that NDI is correctly supported on the machine).