Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Substance Painter in Steam, Perpetual Indie License

The current deal on Steam is to pre-order Substance Painter 2021 for $119 (20% off), through 01/26/21. You get Substance Painter 2020 now, and 2021 when it releases on 01/26/21. This includes 1 year of updates for Substance Painter 2021.

Same deal for Substance Designer.

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    The current deal on Steam is to pre-order Substance Painter 2021 for $119 (20% off), through 01/26/21. You get Substance Painter 2020 now, and 2021 when it releases on 01/26/21. This includes 1 year of updates for Substance Painter 2021.

Same deal for Substance Designer.
    Can you use it forever and ever?
    Tim Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Can you use it forever and ever?
    Check the 2nd post here which says "Your Steam licenses will never expire..."
    https://forum.substance3d.com/index.php?topic=34035.0

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Check the 2nd post here which says "Your Steam licenses will never expire..."
    https://forum.substance3d.com/index.php?topic=34035.0
    Yeah it looks like there was a deadline on that. I don't trust Adobe. Not sure I'd really use it that much anyway as an archvis guy.
    Tim Parsons

Yeah it looks like there was a deadline on that. I don't trust Adobe. Not sure I'd really use it that much anyway as an archvis guy.
    https://source.substance3d.com/

Not bad for archviz...

I may trust Adobe, but I don't like their licensing so I will keep using the latest available versions of Substance end of next year. Covers more then I will ever need with a good library of Substances.
    Last edited by Marander; 11-30-2020 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    https://source.substance3d.com/

Not bad for archviz...
    Esp. for how parameters help control, say, brick surfaces' masonry patterns, grouting, and so forth. Similarly true for wood-type materials, parquet- and tile-type materials, even concrete mold and inlay patterns. Parametric materials allow a few Substances to produce immense numbers of variations in use, esp. useful in randomized scenarios across large-scale development views, etc.

One look at the source Substance libraries and the types and numbers of materials (as well as levels of detail being provided) clearly demonstrate strong archviz use already. Past and ongoing dev efforts towards efficient >4K texture output resolutions, etc. further reinforce archviz has been a solid Substance use case for some time.
    Last edited by jwiede; 11-30-2020 at 04:13 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Yeah I used to be a software whore and bought all kinds of stuff and then rarely used it. Thankfully I've kicked that habit and now only buy if it's super cheap (less than $75) or if I will actually use it (LW2020 upgrade). It doesn't take much to make almost any material I need, all in LW.
    Tim Parsons

Yeah I used to be a software whore and bought all kinds of stuff and then rarely used it. Thankfully I've kicked that habit and now only buy if it's super cheap (less than $75) or if I will actually use it (LW2020 upgrade). It doesn't take much to make almost any material I need, all in LW.
    Just out of interest, are you keeping library using native LW material presets, ODTools for material presets, or regenerating as needed...?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Just out of interest, are you keeping library using native LW material presets, ODTools for material presets, or regenerating as needed...?
    For day to day work we have our own library based on wood patterns that we get from a vendor for the furniture. For any props that we add in our designs we just make our own materials. At times we create full shots of a new collection. It is not an everyday thing and when we do make them we create props and materials for everything.

Everyday work sample:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LibraryWithStorage.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	558.7 KB 
ID:	149116

Occasional collection sample:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bedroom_A_(Small).jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	435.8 KB 
ID:	149117
    Tim Parsons

Yeah that's fine if you don't have the intension of ever changing your job / employer or have broad and up-to-date industry skills.

Substance is a de facto standard for 3D texturing in many areas, something I would want to have skills in as 3D artist.

Yes, buying unnecessary stuff doesn't make sense of course.

To me as tech enthusiast, graphic and music software and tools are just a hobby but in my profession I prefer to be ahead of the curve, technologically.

Everyone his own I guess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12