Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Substance Painter in Steam, Perpetual Indie License

Substance Painter in Steam, Perpetual Indie License

Perpetual Indie License
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1..._Painter_2020/

Would the only downside to this be that you don't get updates or patches? Just curious if anyone else has this version.

Looks like you get updates or patches thru the end of 2020.
    Tim Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Looks like you get updates or patches thru the end of 2020.
    Apparently, you can create an Adobe/Substance account, link your Steam account to it, and get 1 year of updates and patches from date of purchase:

You will get free updates on Steam up to the end of 2020
    Link your account to your Substance account to get 1 year of update from the purchase date on Steam

Is there something different about buying a Perpetual Indie License on Steam than would have been buying directly from Allegorithmic ? Same offline serial number, or is there some sort of gotcha at work ?

it's gone now last I checked it said Steam was no longer allowed to sell it.

There is not much reason to get substance painter now that Marmoset offers many of the same features plus rendering/lighting and no subscription.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Roye View Post
    There is not much reason to get substance painter now that Marmoset offers many of the same features plus rendering/lighting and no subscription.
    ..and there is a 15% discount offer running until the 30th November right now
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Does this allow for exporting to LW?
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.14 RX580 Pulse LW2020
    (plugins: LWCad 2020, TFD 1443, Syflex 2018, StarPro(2.3) 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, Daz Mocap, DP Light 2020, Quadpanels 1.53)

I agree this could be the case for anyone who doesn't have Substance yet.

Except for a complete 3D beginner who didn't have chance to buy software yet, I really don't understand why people ask for Substance NOW after it was available perpetually for a low price all those years.

Marmoset is a great tool for sure.

For me it's the other way round, I have no need for it since I have Substance Designer and Painter (since version 1.0), perpetual with active maintenance until end of 2021.

There is also 3D-Coat but I hardly ever open it and dislike its UI. It is feature rich but in my opinion there are better tools for everything it does, be it sculpting, texture painting, retopo or UV mapping.

Adobe's subscription plans are known since long and they communicated them repeatedly and early enough. I appreciate that Allegorithmic and Adobe allowed the users to extend their maintenance for so long. It was covered in various 3D news.

So, more then a year of additional updates and these tools are already of incredible value in their current form for any 3D artist.

Steam - I personally don't like it and will never create a Steam account but that's the only way to get Substance now without subscription (for as long as it lasts).

Anyone who didn't get the Substance tools perpetually all these years really can't be helped in my opinion.
    Last edited by Marander; 11-28-2020 at 04:30 PM.

I have got a good workflow now with 3D Coat for texturing, so happy with it.
    Excited for the 2021 update due imminently.

Plus really don’t want to learn a new package.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.14 RX580 Pulse LW2020
    (plugins: LWCad 2020, TFD 1443, Syflex 2018, StarPro(2.3) 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, Daz Mocap, DP Light 2020, Quadpanels 1.53)

Hi Ryan! Compared to Substance Painter, are there any major problems using Marmoset Toolbag 4 for texturing models (obj, fbx) for use in other rendering apps.
    04Dec20: Lightwave 2019.1.5 Build 3134, win10 pro 1909, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v457.51 (04Dec20), LG Ultra 4K (2)

Quote Originally Posted by jaf View Post
    Hi Ryan! Compared to Substance Painter, are there any major problems using Marmoset Toolbag 4 for texturing models (obj, fbx) for use in other rendering apps.
    They are mostly functionally the same now. You can import a model into Marmoset, paint it up, and export those texture maps for use elsewhere. This includes splitting your textures into color channels to consolidate texturing work and save memory. I do think Substance Painter is still much more user friendly in terms of UI, at which point it becomes a choice between a better UI versus perpetual license + lighting/rendering features.

For more detailed comparisons I'd recommend diving into feature sets and deciding what is right for you. IE: You won't get particle brushes and anchors in Marmoset.... and you won't get to do a specific lighting setup in Substance Painter while painting so you know *exactly* how your work will look in your final renders.
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 11-29-2020 at 08:59 AM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Thanks for that info.

They are mostly functionally the same now. You can import a model into Marmoset, paint it up, and export those texture maps for use elsewhere. This includes splitting your textures into color channels to consolidate texturing work and save memory. I do think Substance Painter is still much more user friendly in terms of UI, at which point it becomes a choice between a better UI versus perpetual license + lighting/rendering features.

For more detailed comparisons I'd recommend diving into feature sets and deciding what is right for you. IE: You won't get particle brushes and anchors in Marmoset.... and you won't get to do a specific lighting setup in Substance Painter while painting so you know *exactly* how your work will look in your final renders.
    Plus you're not painting with parametric materials (Substances), that's a non-trivial difference. Also, depending on where you might need to go with it afterwards (besides native LW), Substance support is much broader than support for importing Marmoset materials. Both can export sets of textures, etc., of course, but importing as a Substance both retains parametric support and is definitely easier than importing a bunch of maps/masks/etc.

Marmoset is neat, but without similarly-widespread support for importing Marmoset materials, it's nowhere near as efficient a workflow as working with Substances. Hopefully, Marmoset will encourage such support (and add parametric capabilities similar to Substances, if they really want to compete with Painter/Alchemist).
    Last edited by jwiede; 11-29-2020 at 02:42 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Thanks for all the information!
    04Dec20: Lightwave 2019.1.5 Build 3134, win10 pro 1909, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v457.51 (04Dec20), LG Ultra 4K (2)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast