Thread: Curious behaviour or bug? LW2020

Curious behaviour or bug? LW2020

Came across some strange behaviour. In previous versions not had this problem but in 2020 version is rather strange.
    I have a model in modeler and also open in Layout. In modeler I edit the UV map name and give it a different title. I then click on sync with layout and go to the models uv surface info. There I find the UV map still has the old name and no other name is available.
    I go back to modeler and the renamed UV has changed back to the old name.
    So I rename it again and save it this time and sync again with layout. Same problem.
    So I close layout, rename in modeler, save and close modeler.
    Next I open the saved scene with model and check. Uv has successfully saved with UV renamed.

Anyone else had this problem? First time I've experienced this problem and only in 2020

Should also say it is slow renaming and also had one model that refused to allow me to edit/rename the UV
    Last edited by genesis1; 11-23-2020 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by genesis1 View Post
    Came across some strange behaviour. In previous versions not had this problem but in 2020 version is rather strange.
    I have a model in modeler and also open in Layout. In modeler I edit the UV map name and give it a different title. I then click on sync with layout and go to the models uv surface info. There I find the UV map still has the old name and no other name is available.
    I go back to modeler and the renamed UV has changed back to the old name.
    So I rename it again and save it this time and sync again with layout. Same problem.
    So I close layout, rename in modeler, save and close modeler.
    Next I open the saved scene with model and check. Uv has successfully saved with UV renamed.

Anyone else had this problem? First time I've experienced this problem and only in 2020

Should also say it is slow renaming and also had one model that refused to allow me to edit/rename the UV
    Yes, the same here. Any model changes in the modeler or layout must be saved before switching.
    System info: CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X RAM: 32GB DDR4/3200MHz MB: Asus Prime X570-P GFX: Asus GTX 750 Ti / 2GB OS: Win10, LW2019x64

I have run into this a few times with surface changes being made in Layout and then not being passed back to modeler then switching back to layout again everything is lost and what was in modeler is loaded. This not only happens in 2020 but 2019 and 2018 and possibly 2015 but can't remember for sure.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I have run into this a few times with surface changes being made in Layout and then not being passed back to modeler then switching back to layout again everything is lost and what was in modeler is loaded. This not only happens in 2020 but 2019 and 2018 and possibly 2015 but can't remember for sure.
    I'm pretty sure it can happen in any modern Hub-equipped LW. At least LW2015 offered working version of the file-event-based update system (unlike subsequent versions) so working without Hub was viable, and commonly recommended.

Newtek didn't do customers any favors by adding more Hub-dependent features in LW2018+ and breaking the file-event-based update system. There were other ways to exchange camera->viewport info between Layout and Modeler without forcing Hub be used, shame they insisted on a Hub-based approach. In doing so, Newtek just reintroduced customers to all the reasons disabling Hub was already a "best practice".
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

LW Watcher
    Hmm.. I'm guessing the update mechanism may have a race condition where the update is being flushed as a synchronisation from layout before the modeller change has been applied, thereby removing the modeller change before it ever gets to layout. I would expect the models to have a timestamp and somehow the layout timestamp is updated by layout before the modeller change can be applied.

Anyway, who knows..