Thread: "Presets"

"Presets"

Hi all, some of my show callers (think live events) are used to calling their shots as preset numbers. This is very different than how camera directors call a show: "Ready 3, take 5..." The shots I'm talking about could be: single presenter A in a frame, single presenter A with graphics in a 2 window frame, presenters A and B in a 2 window frame, presenters A, B and C in a 3 window frame, etc. Imagine how many variations I need to manage with six presenters and graphics... On my previous system made by another vendor, I could build dozens of preset shots and the director would just call them that way. This made them happy.
    On my TC2E, is there a way to do equivalent presets? I know I can use Comps on M/E's but it's not possible to really preview a Comp, right? Other than in the small comp pop up window... Having a Comp monitor workspace would be handy for this.
    Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.
    Cheers

You could use Previz to preview comps ... just one thought.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Presets & Stream Deck

I have a Stream Deck XL plugged into my system with two pages of presets and shortcuts.For me it's one button to pull up the pre=build in the ME's, then another to to preview it. And I grabbed a screen capture of each effect to put in the Stream Deck key cap image so when the director says "2-box plus graphic" I push that icon. Hope that helps. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 9.46.21 AM.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	149300

Since you already have a Streamdeck you might want to check out https://centralcontrol.io which can be used to control Comps and Presets. On a Streamdeck in particular, the icon images of the stored settings can be used on the buttons and will automatically update tracking the system. And, through its own tally it can be set to actually display currently selected setting. That's something that isn't even in the TriCaster UI!

I use it all the time. It's a fantastic addition to the TriCaster environment. Lots of additional capabilities as well.

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

I have done this by cloning the same presets (export/import) into ME1 and ME2, I then swap between them for transitions. In those cases the show didn't want the comp animations, they wanted cuts/fades vs animation which worked out nicely. I could figure out how to do cuts with the comps but not the full on preview confidence. Which ever ME isn't on program is my preview that we setup for the next shot. Hopefully you haven't already put all 8 M/E to use.

I would just build all of these in M/E Comps and trigger them with macros.
    Gear Used:
    TCXD 8000
    3Play 4800
    VizRT IP 2-Channel
    Panasonic HDX 900 Cameras
    NDI Connect Pro
    Graphic Outfitters ScoreHD
    Graphic Outfitters Scorebridge
    Livetext 3 w/ LT [Scoreboards 2]

Love this idea, thanks!

FYI, in the latest versions of Central Control there's a feature called "delegation". This is not specifically the same thing as the delegation as in reference to the TriCaster transition delegations.

What it is for is that it allows you to set a series of buttons that would be used between a range of delegated M/Es or media players. This way, you select the media player, as an example, and then the various playback buttons go to that player. The alternative is to have repetitive buttons for each player which, obviously, is wasteful.

I'm trying to get this working right now with Comps, so you target the M/E and then the buttons you refer to will pull up the specific Comp for the targeted M/E. Of course, you'd need to be consistent in that the Comp needs to do something farily similar across all your M/Es, in other words, for example, recalling #1 pulls input 1 to full screen, #2 does input 2, etc .... on all your Comps. It wouldn't make any difference how the Comp is actually composed, just that the action is consistent. And the feedback, which isn't present in the TriCaster UI, works very well. In fact, I've got it working across two separate control surfaces and they perfectly sync.

Furthermore, the Streamdeck can recall the stored icon for the Comp and if you wish, that can follow the delegation too.

it's quite slick (although I think I'm dealing with a small bug in a specific delegation feature right now, so standby on that).

Feel free to reach out to me. I've go some videos I've posted on the Facebook group for Central Control and the developer, Joe de Max, has some others. They are very easy to follow and he shows how to set up the function as well as how its used.

Cheers!

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Thanks, Fritz. I ordered an XL and it will be here next week. I appreciate the offer of assistance, I have only a few hours with Streamdecks.

Quote Originally Posted by DLVid View Post
    Thanks, Fritz. I ordered an XL and it will be here next week. I appreciate the offer of assistance, I have only a few hours with Streamdecks.
    You can also use https://bitfocus.io/companion/.
    since last update you can control the Studio monitor and with http get you can control the tricater (marcos and specific action)