Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Black Friday / Cyber Monday Deals?

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

won't happen before >
    - VizRT shows that they continue develop LightWave (alternatively release a sister App)
    - a Modeler update wouldn't hurt.

quite possible that i'll go that route for certain scenarios.

would like to get EmberGen into LW11.6 somehow, but it proves difficult.
    was also tinkering about using the Cookie Cutting technique with multiple planes, but it doesn't work well for realism i suppose,
    so would probably just use a flat plane with an image sequence. (would work for certain scenarios only)

Thereīs really no point of getting embergen in to Lightwave when you can do it all in blender, and faster dealing with the vdb sets, as well as rendering, as well as having true multiple volume bounces that you will not have in Lightwave, as well as solving the noise better, as well as being able to deform the vdb sets with blenders volume displace, as well as making an explosion in to a mesh object that you can print out
    the rest is about cameras, characters, mddīs dynamic baking ..which you could set up and plan to some degree in Lightwav of course, then send it to blender for embergen mixing.

Embergen does rule out Any interactive post changes anyhow no matter which main program you import it to, except for that volume displace function blender has, and some houdini disecting perhaps.

I would advice you spare your time and put that time in to working with it in blender than trying to find a solution that isnīt available for lightwave, ride the storm out. till something new shows up for lightwave(if ever)..but if the itch is to severe, you would have to upgrade, and that is highly unchartered terratory in terms of future options.

for current lightwave, you could do the flat techniques, you can also use them as sprite clips, so go in to hvīs and add clips in the shading/clips tab, you can use that either on particles or single nulls...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sprite clips.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	149120

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Yeah okay I don't mess with VDB's. I have no doubt that Blender can handle those larger datasets better than LW. I'm getting up to speed with Blender and am really enjoying it and am impressed with how easy it is to learn. Still like my no icon interface that I get with LW, but Blender is fun to use.

I stand by my thoughts that a LW upgrade from pre 2015 versions is a worthy investment.
    The blender devs need more lightwave users to tell them how to structure up the UI more properly, it is suffering Still a lot from a mixer of all kindīs of UI elements, and still is trying to learn to walk in the sense of where the UI elements should be and how they should look like, while wonderfully flexible. But for Lightwave..during the many years in film industry Lightwave had itīs glory, it was polished to work more like a film stage and put things in locations where they should be and not too much in your face.

I reckon blender users do not want lightwave users in there trying to transform it to Lightwave or something, but there are much to learn from how Lightwave is structured, blenders fun, fast in some cases..and amazing tools, but Still..it has to wrestle with moving UI elements from here to there in various releases.
    One section that frustrates me is the properties panels, and when you add a new mesh, or curve etc and that panel pops up as a small footer menu In the viewport, that you have to expand, and then it obscures the viewport..and you canīt move it or change that.

I loath the verticle tab principles, in Daz studio..that is the first thing I adressed and changed to horizontal for any such UI elements going vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    The blender devs need more lightwave users to tell them how to structure up the UI more properly, it is suffering Still a lot from a mixer of all kindīs of UI elements, and still is trying to learn to walk in the sense of where the UI elements should be and how they should look like, while wonderfully flexible..the many years in film industry Lightwave had itīs glory, it was polished to work more like a film stage and put things in locations where they should be and not too much in your face.

I reckon blender users do not want lightwave users in there trying to transform it to Lightwave or something, but there are much to learn from how Lightwave is structured, blenders fun, fast in some cases..and amazing tools, but Still..it has to wrestle with moving UI elements from here to there in various releases.
    One section that frustrates me is the properties panels, and when you add a new mesh, or curve etc and that panel pops up as a small footer menu In the viewport, that you have to expand, and then it obscures the viewport..and you canīt move it or change that.
    Yes - you could almost have the perfect app if Blender adopted more UI elements from other apps and copied LW's camera.
    There still might be hope for LW based on this:https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...=1#post1605230
    Tim Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Yes - you could almost have the perfect app if Blender adopted more UI elements from other apps and copied LW's camera.
    There still might be hope for LW based on this:https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...=1#post1605230
    No not really, itīs more to it than that for sure
    I need much more fractals in blender, better displacement handling and layering of procedural textures, fractals working on particles, better camera and light handling...much more of that, and many other stuff which I feel Lightwave does better, but that said, VDB imports is better to deal with in blender if you have it, rather than investing in any updates given the circumstances with the none existent lightwave development today.

Itīs just that blender renders faster, deals with the setīs faster, and have multiple volume bounces that makes quite a difference in how the volumes are illuminated, if you aim for that extra scattering illlumination in clouds or in fire, blender is the way to go and not Lightwave...for the moment being.

Or you upgrade to 2020 and what ever that will give you in the future, and also invest in Octane to overcome what you canīt do in Lightwave today, but that is two additional costs, and one very unsecure future.

Settings for sprite clip, if someone needs to know, remember to enable show particles in the hv tab to see the clip in opengl, the clip is always facing the camera, but you can do banking, the rest would be to set up the Lightwave scene and match/import camera to embergen, then render that sequence out in the flipbook and then import back as a sprite clip in lightwave, but then again..you can also just keep it in post with fusion etc.

These advices is for those who do not wanīt to upgrade to Lightwave 2020 from 2011 and up, and do not want to do it all in blender.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	settings.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	149121

Thereīs really no point of getting embergen in to Lightwave when you can do it all in blender
    yes there is, if LightWave is better for Camera operation, Ui navigation, instancing, huge scenes in general, and character animation / facial animation.

so... again, yes there is.

however,... it doesn't come without a challenge getting that VDB playing nicely in LW2020,... and certainly not in LW11

a predicament .

LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Nice, thanks!

LW2020 + Octane = additional costs, and one very insecure future.
    yup.
    Last edited by erikals; 12-02-2020 at 10:05 PM.

yes there is, if LightWave is better for Camera operation, Ui navigation, instancing, huge scenes in general, and character animation / facial animation.

so... again, yes there is.

however,... it doesn't come without a challenge getting that VDB playing nicely in LW2020,... and certainly not in LW11

a predicament .

Well, I disagre regarding cameras, since you can export that, or simply overcome that in blender....not impossible just easier to work with in Lightave, as for character animation, always possible to export and with facial animation as well.
    Maybe instancing if blender isnīt capable of delivering the same huge data sets, and huge scenes.
    The point is you have to overcome..or making it more or less impossible if you try in Lightwave..with the limitations I mentioned about VDB and lightwave.

By the way, check Chris Jones latest facial rig new video update on his youtube site.

By the way, check Chris Jones latest facial rig new video update on his youtube site.
    Incredible ! 

Incredible ! 
    And donīt forget my proposal I sent to you in your private mail about VDB shading, you are not obligated to anything, or should be stressed to provide anything..just if you
    find it fun and have the time..whenever, and only if you find I can add something to something you may be struggling with in there.

Right now messing a bit with it with the embergen samples provided on their site, but otherwise I am a bit busy today and tomorrow, but after monday I think I will start messing with the demo trial of embergen..I really need to check that out then.

Very sorry, haven't gotten back to you on that, thanks a lot.

Just been super hectic these last 40 hours. (and in general)

Very sorry, haven't gotten back to you on that, thanks a lot.

Just been super hectic these last 40 hours. (and in general)
    No worries, and itīs under no pressure obligation you got rascals to tend to I suspect and life otherwise, itīs a bit hectic here two this week, but I think it will calm down a bit during christmas, and I expect to have some time with the
    embergen demo.

Purchase will probably be next summer if I find it so awesome, need to invest in new laptop..thatīs a bigger priority, new bed, new fridge, midi keyboard, 3D printers ahead, software comes in after that I think, with perhaps some exceptions.
    3rd powers metamesh is probably the only Lightwave related stuff that is hihgly desirable for me, despite the risc in investing in tools for a main app that no customer really knows where it will be, or perhaps not to be at all.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456