Thread: Huge bug found!!! Needs addressed immediately!!!

Huge bug found!!! Needs addressed immediately!!!

We recently purchased several new Mini 4K systems which are installed inside municipal networks and school networks. The first system we installed was at City Hall and when turned on we found that the DHCP Server caused the City Hall network to crash as the Tricaster fought with the City's server on handing out IPs. We didn't know about the DHCP server or how to turn it off at the time but eventually did with the help of our dealer. THIS FEATURE SHOULD NOT BE ON AS A DEAFAULT! To reiterate the horrible ramifications of this, we had another issue! The Mini 4K we installed at the High School was set to DHCP OFF before connecting to the network as we had learned our lesson (we thought). This system was having an issue with powering down during productions for an unknown reason. Our dealer suggested to do a system restore, which we did. When we did, we did not check the DHCP server as it was not an issue and didn't really think about it. When the system was restored the DHCP Server turned itself back ON!!! This caused a MASSIVE crash of the school corporation's network in the middle of all of the teachers trying to do remote video classes as the schools are running a hybrid shut down due to the virus. You can not begin to imagine the anger and frustration that ensued because of this issue!!!! Right now I am beyond frustrated with the Mini 4K systems (of which we purchased four). I now know to check that the DHCP Server function is off (always). But I have to wonder how many others have dealt with similar situations, especially in schools, and have not figured out WHY their networks are crashing!!!

NEWTEK YOU MUST FIX THIS IMMEDIATELY! THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM!!!!!
    John Pause
    Director, City TV
    Connersville, IN

In the latest Mini 4K software update the DHCP is no longer active on the two motherboard ports, only the 4x NDI labeled ports. This should give you what you are asking about. No DHCP when you connect the main port to your house network and DHCP for any direct connected devices.

There is still the option to disabled DHCP completely, but with the setup above, I think the majority of people will be good with the default configuration.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thank you for responding with the answer quickly. I'm relieved that the main ports are not DHCP servers now but maybe there should be a warning of catastrophic proportion if its connected via the NDI ports.

Thank you again.
    John Pause
    Director, City TV
    Connersville, IN