Thread: 3rd Powers Meta Mesh

Question 3rd Powers Meta Mesh

I've been looking through the videos on youtube including eriklas' ones (thanks!) on Meta Mesh from 3rd Powers. I mostly do lowpoly stuff for games now - and stick to quad modelling with minimal if any tris. I've been using 3D Sticker and HeatShrink and getting great results. How does Meta Mesh fare for that kind of game work?

It's a bit hard to tell from the videos because everyone uses sub-d, but is the NON-subpatch polyflow of the connections between parts with Meta Mesh good? What happens if you have a low poly body with a higher poly cylinder - so say a 4 to 6 quad connection area on the body, and a 12 to 24 sided cylinder? How does Meta Mesh work with the poly results? Does it round the flows and make them as if you planned the poly flow? I'm assuming it creates only quads (or is it quads & tris? just hopefully no n-gons) and puts 5 pole junctions or bevels/multishifts to avoid where the poles would be if possible? Should I snap up Meta Mesh? Do they ever have Black Friday sales?

Also there used to be some great low-poly long blog entries by someone who dove very deep into low poly polygon flow with screenshots and gifs of various polyflow scenarios and how to solve each - but I lost that link and don't remember who it was. Does anyone know this poly-flow modeling scenario website I'm talking about?

thanks!!

I can't check Meta Mesh behaviour at the moment but, regarding your last question, you probably refer to Probiner's Polygon table thread, I guess.
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.

Quote Originally Posted by omichon View Post
    I can't check Meta Mesh behaviour at the moment but, regarding your last question, you probably refer to Probiner's Polygon table thread, I guess.
    Thanks - that's awesome. Yup, it was probably Probiner - but I recall a separate website with even more info than in that thread (which is amazing to see again - thank you!).

You are welcome.
    I remember the website you refer to, I guess, but as memory serves last time I checked it was not available anymore so I removed it from my bookmarks.
    Not the best idea, I admit, since it could have been just temporary.
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.

i'd say no...

LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    i'd say no...

Thanks eriklas! I think I'll pick this up too... Kind of want LWBrush as well - should have got them all when it was a bundle

Meta Mesh is Awesome, but perhaps not so much for low poly stuff.

related, Meta Mesh search on my Youtube channel >
    https://www.youtube.com/c/erikals/search?query=metamesh

LWBrush is a must, albeit slow at times.

for character animation, also consider Cage Deformer
    http://www.3rdpowers.com/index_store.html
    Last edited by erikals; 11-19-2020 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Meta Mesh is Awesome, but perhaps not so much for low poly stuff.

related, Meta Mesh search on my Youtube channel >
    https://www.youtube.com/c/erikals/search?query=metamesh

LWBrush is a must, albeit slow at times.

for character animation, also consider Poly Cage
    Since I'm doing games and only care about realtime and Unity (I can't remember when I've last used LW's renderer) I only use bones and blendshapes/morphs for some things - I don't think poly cage will help.
    I'm debating LW Brush because I'm enjoying my existing techniques and a new trick I figured out for using the 3Rd Powers stuff. If I'm doing a toony character and sketch it out like so:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketch.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	149082
    I'll rough out the shape in a background layer using highly subdivided primitive shapes in the rough positions. Then in the foreground layer I'll surround the bgd shapes with a low poly faceted box and then use 3rd Powers Heat Shrink on the box to the bgd shapes and the box shrinks down like a rubber sheet enveloping the shapes and giving me a perfect body shape with excellent poly flow. The more I play with the 3rd Powers stuff the more I find interesting ways to use them. So maybe I'll grab LW Brush too some time...

If I'm doing a toony character and sketch it out like so:
    yep, LW Brush will help here for easier tweaking.

recommended.