Thread: Is it possible to use clip mask to create geometry in Modeler?

Is it possible to use clip mask to create geometry in Modeler?

Hi,

I was playing with clipping mask in Layout and began to wonder if there is a way to use clipping mask to create actual geometry in Lightwave Modeler. If anyone has succeeded in this can you tell me how?

Thank you

No, clipping masks are just a render time operation. You could do something like this in zbrush. You could try turning you clipping texture into an eps and turn that into a polygon shape to use as a stencil in Modeler.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Letīs make it easy, just use that mask in illustrator or the free inkscape, save out as pdf, ai or eps and import with the free od vector import, or just save out to svg and import to blender as a shape and convert to mesh.

there are ways to use vdb to create a mesh from an image in layout with vdb also, but not necessary, that is the closest thing next to using a clip map..

You can also use free blender to extract a clip map mask from a mesh, it will extract new polygons from that mask and you can further enhance it with smooth and subdiv modifiers or remesh that result, that is
    what to do if you need more 3D extractions from a 2d stencil or mask.

The vdb method is for layout only though, and unlike just exporting vector from a 3d vector program and convert it to a mesh..it needs a lot of voxels to look good and thus adding a lot of extra geometry since it is
    voxelizing the whole area unlike just closing a polygon shape as the vector import does.

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by ikia.perry View Post
    I was playing with clipping mask in Layout and began to wonder if there is a way to use clipping mask to create actual geometry in Lightwave Modeler. If anyone has succeeded in this can you tell me how?
    You can use Boolean tools between two meshes..

Clipping Mask: re

Quote Originally Posted by ernpchan View Post
    No, clipping masks are just a render time operation. You could do something like this in zbrush. You could try turning you clipping texture into an eps and turn that into a polygon shape to use as a stencil in Modeler.
    I've done the eps method before, but wanted to save time if possible by using a clip map with UV. I had hoped that you could go one step further and use the clip map to create actual geometry. The only reason I choose the clip map route though was because my Adobe Illustrator eps file had many layers. This would have created a ton of shapes to work with on importing, so I tried the clipping mask route. It work great, but I wondered if it was possible to go further and actually cut into the geometry with only an image.

Also I just blew my budget on upgrading to LW2020 so i will have to wait before I could buy zBrush.

Thank you

I didn't know this option was available. I will have to try it out later.

Thanks

I didn't know this option was available. I will have to try it out later.

Thanks
    What option?

Again, you canīt cut any geometry with images in modeler, booleans is not what you want for this.

If you refer to senseis booleans, thatīs of no use really, you would still have to use a mesh shape in the form you want o boolean, there is no such thing as boolean a clip mask or a stencil based on an image in modeler, eps etc,and in which case you still would need to import it as ai, or eps, or pdf.
    If you can import a shape to use as boolean, you wouldnīt even have to boolean it at all, just close the shape to a polygon.

As for the illustrator layers, If you canīt adjust and flatten the layers in illustrator due to not having it, use free inkscape and flatten layers there or move paths to one layer, perhaps union them if necessary etc.

use od vector import, export to pdf from inkscape and import pdf preferably.

If you have trouble with lightwave od import or ai import, try svg and send it to blender, that often works smoothly, you can then convert to a mesh and send to lightwave.

Hi,

Thank you
    One thing you could try, is making a highly subdivided plane, and then use a version of your clip map as a height map / weight map, and deform the geo based on it. For instance if the clip map was a bunch of square holes, you would raise or lower those holes in the Y with deformation, and then it should be possible to freeze the geo, and then select and delete the parts you don't want. Then reduce the polygons.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    One thing you could try, is making a highly subdivided plane, and then use a version of your clip map as a height map / weight map, and deform the geo based on it. For instance if the clip map was a bunch of square holes, you would raise or lower those holes in the Y with deformation, and then it should be possible to freeze the geo, and then select and delete the parts you don't want. Then reduce the polygons.
    To make it even more of a challenge in modeler, you can also use map/color/texture point map, apply a weightmap and set it to image and load the image (clip mask)
    From that you will create a weightmap based on your image of choice.

in point mode, go to selection and choose by vertex map value, that will select your surrounding points based on the weight image map (depends on how the image is made black or white etc for the right options to either select surrounding area or the actual area.

you either delete the surrounding points, or invert the selection if itīs not right and delete points.

As in this sample, though the result is too low in resolution, it was only a 40 x 40 grid, which is way to low.
    easy to subdivide more, but at a certain point of point density, applying the weightmap and image and also selecting surrounding points and deleting them, will be very slow and take a while for the system to manage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weight map image selection.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	358.3 KB 
ID:	149078

and a bit higher res, and remeshed with plg 3 times.

Itīs probably the closest thing to use a clip mask to create geometry...with some workarounds.

Name:	dragon from image weight map.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	149079

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    and a bit higher res, and remeshed with plg 3 times.

Itīs probably the closest thing to use a clip mask to create geometry...with some workarounds.
    That is pretty close to what I was thinking, without actually trying it. It could work, depending on the nature of the clip maps. Then you could thicken it, and carry on with as much or little clean up as you need. It comes down to how much time it would take to clean up versus making clean geo to start with. Or, how clean it needs to be to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    That is pretty close to what I was thinking, without actually trying it. It could work, depending on the nature of the clip maps. Then you could thicken it, and carry on with as much or little clean up as you need. It comes down to how much time it would take to clean up versus making clean geo to start with. Or, how clean it needs to be to get the job done.
    And quad it, but in blender since it does that best.
    but itīs a bit overdoing it all, best to just load in eps, ai, pdf, svg with od vector import and perhaps just use the spline shape, and manually trace extend etc to get the best ratio of polys and quads.

But the end resultor main clip mask complexity and look from the OP is hidden in a veil, so itīs too much speculation right now on which method to go for.

Name:	quad.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	149080