Thread: BSG-Cylon Architecture and Culture,

your average lightwaver gpdesigner's Avatar

BSG-Cylon Architecture and Culture,

Ok so I want to start a discussion on the topic of the “Cylon” and generate a concept of architectural design and understand the reason for the lack of concept presented by the genre. The reason for this is because after being away from LW for a decade or more, the Covid vacuum has given me time to redeploy some of my old work and the “Cylon Project” has been my focus.

Background,
    many moons ago I was with a group of people making assets for a fan film, I built a small prop, now I want to develop this object into a full grown environment. I have been building away for the last month or so, the project can be seen here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/D5NAae

Anyway whilst building and redesigning, I happen to see some Cylon designs presented by “TNS” Galactica which doesn’t seem to have a flow. Lets start with the base ship and raiders granted they are very organic in nature but still not too alien from “Human” development or a natural progression in human design. After all, the Cylon was built by humans and programmed by humans so a lot of structures they would develop should have a grounding in human design. I say this because inspire of the “Base Ship” design, the next vessel we see is the Resurrection ship, and tho it is very stylish and futuristic, it isn’t organic at all, and in no way flows with the concepts of the “Base Ship” (imho)
    The next vessel we see is the Resurrection Hub,
    https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/575334921132579189/
    which is awesome as well and can reflect an upgrade from the Resurrection ship in design but again, it looks nothing like the Base Ship.

Fast forward to the last show series finally, we see the “Super Duper Resurrection Cylon Home Base”
    Which looks TOTALLY different from anything we have seen so far.
    http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topi...n-iii/page/26/
    In fact it looks like it belonged in Babylon 5. It was Organic to the utmost.

So were did this get lost?
    I have some other thoughts but I wanted to just through this out there right now and see what you all think.
    " Nuts! " . . . ~General Anthony McAuliffe: 101st Airborne at 'The Battle of the Bulge'
    MacPro 5,1 6-Core 3.46 5690 Intel Xeon and MacPro 2,1 2x Quad Core x64| 16 Gb Ram

tricky one.

both have extreme designs, one mechanic, one organic.

in movies One standard is often followed, but it is hard to say if that >Should< be a rule.

LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

LightWave Fan Boi
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gpdesigner View Post
    Ok so I want to start a discussion on the topic of the “Cylon” and generate a concept of architectural design and understand the reason for the lack of concept presented by the genre.
    Which of the following are you trying to explore this from:

a) The mindset of the concept art designer
    b) The mindset of the Cylon race

I think it would help me to offer an opinion if you could answer the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    Which of the following are you trying to explore this from:

a) The mindset of the concept art designer
    b) The mindset of the Cylon race

I think it would help me to offer an opinion if you could answer the above.
    Interesting, I am going to go with Cylon Race, if we went with mindset of the concept designer it would more than likely be excuses why,
    I think we would get more out of it looking from a Cylon pov.
    " Nuts! " . . . ~General Anthony McAuliffe: 101st Airborne at 'The Battle of the Bulge'
    MacPro 5,1 6-Core 3.46 5690 Intel Xeon and MacPro 2,1 2x Quad Core x64| 16 Gb Ram

well, unlike reality, design in movies follow standards, and it is hard to obey them without a boring outcome,

at the same time moving away from the golden standard creates a shaky ground.

its a though one.

think... >
    alien
    terminator
    star trek

the sequels all meet a design/story challenge, whats right, whats wrong.
    Last edited by erikals; 11-22-2020 at 08:05 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    tricky one.

both have extreme designs, one mechanic, one organic.

in movies One standard is often followed, but it is hard to say if that >Should< be a rule.

seeing how this project isn't bound for Hollywood, I guess I'm bogged down trying to decide on which is a more realistic design style to create other Cylon structures in.
    The handful of building I have made, I am now starting to rethink because these structures seem more human and less ( ? )
    The question mark representing "Who are the Cylons".

LightWave Fan Boi
    Blog Entries
    Interesting, I am going to go with Cylon Race, if we went with mindset of the concept designer it would more than likely be excuses why,
    I think we would get more out of it looking from a Cylon pov.
    Well in that case, I guess I'd look at it from a "purpose of the vessels" point of view.

The BaseStar, Raiders and Cyclon (Cylon Colony) are all military vessels and are heavily shielded with (organic?) metal. And given that these vessels are part biological and somewhat sentient, I'd say that the Cylons chose to design these military vessels in a similarly organic way, not only to accommodate the biology of cylon centurions but also as a way of distinguishing that "race" of Cylon from the human type.

The resurrection vessels are designed to accommodate the human type of Cylon and have negligible defenses. They rely on the military vessels to protect them and so the need to have the same level of shielding that the military vessels have, given that these vessels are not "alive" like their military counterpart, is unnecessary and therefore would negate the need for them to be designed in the same way as one.

Why they would decide to style these resurrection vessels in the way they do? It could be an energy thing. These human type cylons have to eat and breathe, which would mean these vessels have to grow food and generate oxygen so that might account for the amount of glass these vessels have. Added, they are probably stationed not too far from a star system in order to gather as much light as possible.

That's just my two cents.

Love your models btw.

Well in that case, I guess I'd look at it from a "purpose of the vessels" point of view. . . . . .
    That's interesting, So could we say that an organic design, curves, flow, angles, would have to do with sentience and necessity and that "Manned" vessels are more for functionality?
    Functionality meaning not a lot of excess in design or materials are needed? . . I could go with that.

As I said I can reason that the Cylon was built and programmed by Humans and therefore have base Human aesthetics as far as construction and building. According to the series at one point man used Cylon to build structures on the 12 Colonies. I can only assume that their base understanding is from a Human point of view.

Now adapting this concept to the project I am building, I went out on a limb with design concepts because there is no model for, or precedent set on any Cylon Ground based structures. So I got blocked on how I should proceed.
    The outline I was given for the one structure was easy, I just went off of that. Now the other buildings are up to me to decide and the ideas of organic versus functionality are hanging me up.
    I could make them extremely organic looking but in truth it would resemble more of a Alien environment and for all intents and purposes are not Alien. (if you go by TNS)
    On the other hand if I continue on my current design path, the base would resemble a futuristic Human environment and not so much a Cylon creation.

Glad you like the models, there is an ground base APC Hangar I built that is designed to hold 24 wheeled "Cylon Vehicles" which have to be built. but creating that structure is where all my doubt started.
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/48E68L

LightWave Fan Boi
    Blog Entries
    That's interesting, So could we say that an organic design, curves, flow, angles, would have to do with sentience and necessity and that "Manned" vessels are more for functionality?
    Functionality meaning not a lot of excess in design or materials are needed? . . I could go with that.
    I think I would prefer to look at it more along the lines of the Cylon vessels being less of an "artificially designed by the Cylons" and more of a kind of "designed by nature" and a sort of hybrid synthetic/organically "grown" (not built) type philosophy.

Given that the Cylons are on a mission to replace humans and have "evolved" beyond the limits of their original human designers. I like to think that in their absence from the last Caprica - Cylon war they have developed a way to allow Nature to aid in their evolution as it does with humans and therefore the design of the Cylon vary greatly, depending on their purpose (a-la natural selection).

I'd say that the vessels are not lifeless machines but are a form of life shaped by a semi natural (force?).

Now adapting this concept to the project I am building, I went out on a limb with design concepts because there is no model for, or precedent set on any Cylon Ground based structures. So I got blocked on how I should proceed.
    The outline I was given for the one structure was easy, I just went off of that. Now the other buildings are up to me to decide and the ideas of organic versus functionality are hanging me up.
    I could make them extremely organic looking but in truth it would resemble more of a Alien environment and for all intents and purposes are not Alien. (if you go by TNS)
    On the other hand if I continue on my current design path, the base would resemble a futuristic Human environment and not so much a Cylon creation.
    Hmmm. I think I would apply the same rational that I did earlier. What are the purposes of these buildings? Are their function something that requires it to be sentient or not?

I think that would be my guiding principle to their design.

I think I would prefer to look at it more along the lines of the Cylon vessels being less of an "artificially designed by the Cylons" and more of a kind of "designed by nature" and a sort of hybrid synthetic/organically "grown" (not built) type philosophy. Given that the Cylons are on a mission to replace humans and have "evolved" beyond the limits of their original human designers. I like to think that in their absence from the last Caprica - Cylon war they have developed a way to allow Nature to aid in their evolution as it does with humans and therefore the design of the Cylon vary greatly, depending on their purpose (a-la natural selection).
    I'd say that the vessels are not lifeless machines but are a form of life shaped by a semi natural (force?).

Hmmm. I think I would apply the same rational that I did earlier. What are the purposes of these buildings? Are their function something that requires it to be sentient or not?
    I think that would be my guiding principle to their design.
    I can understand that but organic or natural has nothing to do with the Cylon, I know what you mean, but I am stuck with both TNS version of the Cylons not having a home Planet at all but existing only in space.
    They evolved in a vacuum, the only planets they occupied were human only having their "Architecture" as input.
    Even the Hybrids on the Base ships were stuck in tanks that gave you an idea of being "Organic" but they lost it with using poly tub and rubber tubing.

As far as the building go,
    they would exhibit no signs of sentient behavior as they are barracks and craft hangars ATC towers and such. I also played with the idea of the Centurion having a "Barrack".
    Tho they are machine and do not sleep, they would need some type of regenerative or recharging station. I am thinking something like a Borg alcove . . . which would be a mix of organic and not.
    We already know the "Humanoid Cylon" use beds to sleep in, so that part is covered, however not much was developed on the Centurion background.
    What do you think about the Alcove idea?

LightWave Fan Boi
    Blog Entries
    As far as the building go,
    they would exhibit no signs of sentient behavior as they are barracks and craft hangars ATC towers and such.
    Ahh, well now I know their purpose, then yes I would have a more practical mechanical style of design that was based on geometrical strength and energy conservation/maximisation.

I also played with the idea of the Centurion having a "Barrack".
    Tho they are machine and do not sleep, they would need some type of regenerative or recharging station. I am thinking something like a Borg alcove . . . which would be a mix of organic and not.
    We already know the "Humanoid Cylon" use beds to sleep in, so that part is covered, however not much was developed on the Centurion background.
    What do you think about the Alcove idea?
    It makes sense to have that. I think the alcove would fit in with the narrative (whether there'd be any shots requiring it is another matter). I'm not so sure about a borg-esq alcove though. I'm thinking maybe some form of capsule/pod/chamber where they not only get electrical energy but also energy that feeds their organics. I was thinking maybe submerging the centurians in some form of fluid (maybe with their innards exposed and some form of light particles swimming around) that serves both purposes. Whether they can be seen inside their pods (or whatever) or not, who knows, but I think having both battery and organic replenishment would be important for all sentient cylons.

An interesting version about capsules or food chambers, there is also an option with an energy liquid for drinking or something like injections. Although it would be easier to use a kind of electric charging or replacement (replenishment) of the battery (if it is implied).