Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lightwave gpu renderer?

Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium View Post
    ...aren't there certain effects that GPU rendering cannot do? I remember reading something about that a few years back - don't remember the details, but it was on the list of why CPU rendering can be preferable.
    Here is a link to the Corona Renderer which explains why somethings are better when using the CPU https://corona-renderer.com/features/proudly-cpu-based

Seems no one is much interested in a render plugin for LW. I was so dissapointed when the pixar renderman plugin got dropped in favour of octane. I can understand why on a financial basis, but it was sad.
    All I want really is a gpu renderer for native lightwave without learning new nodes. Alas, it seems after so long it will never be.
    I still love LW and will continue using it, but it is painfully slow against other software.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    We also see evidence of where certain devs went after LW. One particular dev is working for a GPU render application now. It is unlikely that position was given to someone who had no GPU render dev experience.
    Yes Mark Granger works at OTOY now.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    Why o why is the big ..why?
    Ratīs leaving a sinking ship, or environment to unfriendly to work in..and a lot of other speculative causes for anyone to pick, and the big question goes to vizrt, what did we learn from that, to forget and leave everything, or to recall and improve and invest again.

Quote Originally Posted by genesis1 View Post
    Seems no one is much interested in a render plugin for LW. I was so dissapointed when the pixar renderman plugin got dropped in favour of octane. I can understand why on a financial basis, but it was sad.
    All I want really is a gpu renderer for native lightwave without learning new nodes. Alas, it seems after so long it will never be.
    I still love LW and will continue using it, but it is painfully slow against other software.
    Not true, cycles was on the carpet, but it never took off..developer who started it may had undertaken a too big project for it, it didnīt go anywhere so far anyway, who knows if he picks it up again, but I was all for it, and so where many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    Whoops. He wasn't even the one I was thinking of. I guess we're up to at least 3 of the LW crew now at OTOY.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Whoops. He wasn't even the one I was thinking of. I guess we're up to at least 3 of the LW crew now at OTOY.
    Four now, at least: Lino G, the Metamorphic guy (Jay/Jamil H), Mark G, and now Antti J (according to his LI profile).
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Four now, at least: Lino G, the Metamorphic guy (Jay/Jamil H), Mark G, and now Antti J (according to his LI profile).
    I kinda thought if they had room for Antti he would end up there as well. A nice little group of former Lightwave devs there now I guess.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Glad that they are gainfully employed doing what they enjoy.
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

The time for GPU rendering might have been the silence between 2015-2018 when they did rewrite the renderer, but kept it to CPU. Newtek did subsequently look at AMD ProRender because this was mentioned within the last year or so by a guest on the Steve Burns Twitch broadcast (possibly Deuce, my memory hazy), but obviously not promised. I think LW has the mentality of being CPU efficient, backwards compatibility, older machines, etc. I'm not sure how LW minimum specs compare to other 3D minimum specs but I suspect it is lighter ? Something could still emerge via Vizrt...could..

Quote Originally Posted by genesis1 View Post
    All I want really is a gpu renderer for native lightwave without learning new nodes.
    Download the demo of Octane if you really want to stay with LW and see how it works for you. It's pretty easy to come to grips with. I don't use it, but if I needed the speed and wanted to stay with LW that's really the only option. The node system isn't too bad.
    Tim Parsons

GPU was the next move from what i read. (sorry, missing link)

2 late now.

to add; we're lucky tho' with AMD is kickin' these days...

Last edited by erikals; 11-18-2020 at 11:15 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBeckwith View Post
    Here is a link to the Corona Renderer which explains why somethings are better when using the CPU https://corona-renderer.com/features/proudly-cpu-based
    Yes and unlike the LightWave render engine, Corona Render is very successful because

- it's easy to use
    - it's stable
    - it's fast (for a CPU engine)
    - it delivers outstanding quality

There would have been a lot to learn for LW. Well too late now.

The only negative thing about Corona Render is the rental licensing in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    ... LW has the mentality of being CPU efficient, backwards compatibility, older machines, etc. I'm not sure how LW minimum specs compare to other 3D minimum specs but I suspect it is lighter ? Something could still emerge via Vizrt...could..
    I'm glad you mention this because backwards compatibility was indeed a plus for LW in the past.

But no more, the latest LW release is not supported anymore on simple machines like laptops without a dedicated graphics card.

This was confirmed by LW support. And they didn't even bother looking into that further (no crash analysis done etc).

While all other 3D apps work on these devices, only LW doesn't.

For example LW 2020 works on my XPS15 with Nvidia GPU but crashes on the XPS13 with 8th Gen Core i7 16GB without dedicated GPU where all other apps work just fine (except GPU-only stuff like RedShift of course).

Another NewTek / VizRT failure. I don't know which one of them is worse but they seem to fit each other well.
    Last edited by Marander; 11-19-2020 at 01:53 AM.

Corona Render
    perhaps check Kray
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast