Thread: Total Mesh Displacment with Instance?

Total Mesh Displacment with Instance?

Hey Wavers..I have a Q.

Is there anyway to have a sub-divided object that is instanced in layout and then use a displacement to displace the "entire" instances as it was one shape? As well as use a weight map to control the displacement of the entire shape?

So lets say I have a box with sub-divided
    Then it is instanced on a floor to every poly
    Then the total boxes can have a displacement ripple distorting all the boxs as one
    Then a weight map control for the total of boxes displacement area.

I know I can just do it in modeler as a clone of boxes to get the idea to work, just wondering If I can do a more non-destructive flow in layout.

Thanks

I'm not sure what you're really after, but you can use a node setup in the Instancer to displace the instances using a Procedural Texture, which is then scaled by a Weight Map. Sample LW2015 scene attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floor_WithBall_Displacement_rgb_001.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	295.8 KB 
ID:	149060 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floor_WithBall_Displacement_rgb_040.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	291.6 KB 
ID:	149061

Name:	Floor_WithBall_Displacement_rgb_080.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	149062 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floor_WithBall_Displacement_rgb_120.jpg 
Size:	296.2 KB 
ID:	149063

MOV file: Floor_WithBall_Displacement.mov

The Floor layer has a weightmap applied:

Name:	Floor_WithBall_Displacement_WeightMap.jpg 
Size:	836.6 KB 
ID:	149065

The Instancer is set up with the Ball as the instanced object and Max Count Polys as the instancer:

Name:	Floor_WithBall_Displacement_Instancer.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	149066

The Instancer then has a node setup which uses a Scalar Layer node with a rotating Turbulence procedural. The output is Scaled using the Scale node by the value of the Weight map, so only the portion of the Floor that has a non-zero value for the Weight map will be displaced. The Make Vector is used to apply the displacement to the Y offset.

Name:	Floor_WithBall_Displacement_InstancerNodeSetup.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	149067

Might not be what you're after, though.

mTp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floor_WithBall_Displacement.gif 
Views:	9 
Size:	3.68 MB 
ID:	149070  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you for the sample scene, though I am after a step that would have all the instance "balls" in your sample being "geometry distorted" (so not maintaining ball shape) with some displacement map....not the base/floor mesh only.

I still don't have a good idea of what you're really trying to accomplish. You can use deformations on the "base object" for the instancer, but all the instances will deform the same. The Time Offset and Time Scale options in the Instancer do not offset / scale the base object deformations in time.

My amateur understanding is that to accomplish this (if that's what you want) is to bake the deformations of the base object into an MDD file, apply the MDD file to the base object, and then hypothetically the Time Offset and Time Scale options in the Instancer can be used to offset / scale the MDD deformations per instance, including a Gradient Weight Map. I've never done this myself, though, so this could be totally wrong.

But again, I'm not sure what you're actually trying to accomplish.

Good luck!
    mTp

TrueArt Support
    "Instance" means transformation of ray-origin and ray-direction. i.e. like you would look at object from different camera with different position and direction.

Renderer transforms ray data (it is just a few math operations, i.e. multiplication of vector by matrix), and fired new ray to check if there is intersection with original (reference) mesh.

Analogy from the real world:
    Does something look deformed if you look at the same thing in mirror?

Solution: use Items > Clone > Clone Current Item.. And eventually enable Nodal Displacement and plug MDD Pointer with different morphed/deformed state of mesh.

Thanks for the response...maybe if I explain it layers it will make sense.

1 make floor plane with rows of long polys lets say 20
    2 load in rectangle box shape that is subdivided that is lengrh of each poly
    3 Instance rectangle box shape to floor plane and use max poly to distribute 20 subs rectangles on floor
    4 Some how add a gradients for falloff and displacement to all 20 rectangles at once ...using nodes? object id?

I wish the order worked for instance objects ...then in theory I could have just moved displacement under instance..but instance isn't apart of the stack.

I can do it in modeler, but it is destructive.

in modeler I array the sub d rectangle box x 20
    use a textures weight map to paint on displacment location
    use move tool with procedural weight map to displace geo as one object...i can use it as a morph...but can really edit it like I would in layout.
    Last edited by GraphXs; 11-17-2020 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GraphXs View Post
    ...4 Some how add a gradients for falloff and displacement to all 20 rectangles at once ...using nodes? object id?...
    Hi,
    you can not deform (displace, bones, mdd...) individual instances different. This is also true for Time Offset. Only position, rotation and scale can be different for individual instances.

ciao
    Thomas
    Web: www.dieleinwandhelden.com

I use two pieces of the three-piece application with mocap module.