Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has any tried LW 2020 on MacOS 11 (Big Sur)?

Thanks for letting us know. I'm still hesitant to update to Big Sur until I get most of my LW assets safely ported to Cinema 4D (which I'm slowly learning, but liking more and more).

But I'm also eager to update to Big Sur so I can try out Redshift and Octane.

Does anybody know of a forum with a lot of people transitioning from Lightwave to Cinema?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by David_CGC View Post
    Haven't done much more than kick the tires since updating the OS, but 2020.0.2 is working fine for me on Big Sur on a 2019 16-inch MBP.
    Thanks for letting us know. I'm still hesitant to update to Big Sur until I get most of my LW assets safely ported to Cinema 4D (which I'm slowly learning, but liking more and more).

But I'm also eager to update to Big Sur so I can try out Redshift and Octane.

Does anybody know of a forum with a lot of people transitioning from Lightwave to Cinema?

Following up on this.
    I spent some time exporting all of my major LW assets to FBX for import to Cinema 4D. Apparently Cinema lost the ability to import LW directly as of R20.
    After upgrading to Big Sur it seems that LW 2020 no longer works. It crashed whenever I switched to Viper view or launched a render. Luckily 2019 seems to work just fine.

I was in a rush to upgrade to Big Sur because I wanted to use Redshift in Cinema 4D and the Mac/Metal version requires the drivers in Big Sur for the AMD GPUs. Also I wanted to get my hands on Redshift asap because I didn't want to get too deep into learning the native Cinema 4D materials, lighting and rendering systems only to have to learn my way around Redshift on top of it.

I've been using Lightwave since version 4 or 5 (so like, 20 some years). I've been interested in Cinema 4D for quite a few years but never really liked the native renderer and besides, it still doesn't export Cryptomatte. When I heard about Redshift starting to support (some) AMD GPUs on Mac I realized it was time to move on and so far, so good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123