Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has any tried LW 2020 on MacOS 11 (Big Sur)?

Thanks for the link. I read from page 51 right up to the bitter end. That was hard work.

Thanks again.

Would anyone here consider form•Z as an option if you needed to change software ?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulP View Post
    Would anyone here consider form•Z as an option if you needed to change software ?
    Depends a LOT on your needs. If you can clarify your answer there a bit, I might be able to answer better.

formZ doesn't include RenderZone plugin by default, RZ's a added-cost option, and rendering output in native formZ is extremely limited without that, Vray or Maxwell, plugins. In terms of modeling, it's obviously more focused around CSG/NURBS work, but has a decent set of poly & sub-d tools as well, so potentially good in that regard. Never really played with animation in formZ, so can't comment there at all.

Also depends whether you're talking current formZ (v9) or an earlier version, and which edition.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

On the Mac I am thinking Cinema 4D is probably going to be to go to, but it depends on what you do as jwiede stated. if you do a lot of After Effects, then Cinema4D is kind of a no brainer. However, trying to use Cinema4D always makes me cringe in fear. I am just too accustomed to how LW Modeler and Layout works. I have been doing stuff with Element 3D in After Effects. Really easy to export OBJs and then get them shaded inside Element 3D. You can even export OBJ sequences (with a LW plugin) which also work.

Home: Hackintosh i7 | 16GB Ram | 1080Ti | OS X 10.13.5/Windows 10
    Home: Mac Pro | 16-Core | 32GB Ram | 580x | OS X 10.15.7

LW Watcher
    I have raised a support ticket. Maybe we should push Newtek for a definitive statement about this since as Mac users we could render our LW installations useless by upgrading and we have no idea what hardware is now capable of running LW.

"Please could your let me know if the current LW2020.2 release is certified for use with MacOS Big Sur on Intel hardware and if not when I can expect a new release that is.

Secondly could you also let me know if the current release of LW2020.2 is certified for use on Apple's M1 hardware, with Rosetta emulation.

Finally could you give an indication of when I can expect a new Mac release that is compatible with MacOS Big Sur running on M1 hardware in native mode.

Thank you."

Quote Originally Posted by avkills View Post
    However, trying to use Cinema4D always makes me cringe in fear. I am just too accustomed to how LW Modeler and Layout works.
    Now that C4D has proper camera dollies and cranes, scene setup actually feels more like Layout now, IMO, maybe even a bit more "real". Also, for animation, having full-on, proper NLA is incredibly useful. Nicest of all, most stuff works even when used in non-expected manners, that's pretty valuable by itself, and something Layout appears to have lost.
    Last edited by jwiede; 11-26-2020 at 09:12 PM.
    John W.

Has anyone found a way to get the submenus back using LW 2019 on Bgi Sur? Without having to do a reinstall of Calalina?
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2020.0.2, Unreal 4.25...
    Threadripper 32 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus ROG i7-10875H x 8 , 64gb, RTX-2070 Super

LW Watcher
    Quote Originally Posted by lwanmtr View Post
    Has anyone found a way to get the submenus back using LW 2019 on Bgi Sur? Without having to do a reinstall of Calalina?

Please put in a bug report and hope for the best.

there is no sanctuary....
    Full development team or not it seems unlikely they'll go back and patch an old version. Can't hurt to ask I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Please put in a bug report and hope for the best.
    Bill Carey

3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

LW Watcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Full development team or not it seems unlikely they'll go back and patch an old version. Can't hurt to ask I suppose.
    At least they'll know people care about the platform and it costs nothing to do.

macOS 11 and Lightwave2015

Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    Just wondering if there are any guinea pigs out there who have given this a try. Big Sur is about to come out of beta, and it seems like a significant overhaul to Mac OS, which means there's potential to break LightWave…
    Cant even get it to install so far.
    pixinc

if you want to use LW, dont install Big Sur.... Apple likes to break things for older stuff..lol
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2020.0.2, Unreal 4.25...
    Threadripper 32 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus ROG i7-10875H x 8 , 64gb, RTX-2070 Super

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Now that C4D has proper camera dollies and cranes, scene setup actually feels more like Layout now, IMO, maybe even a bit more "real". Also, for animation, having full-on, proper NLA is incredibly useful. Nicest of all, most stuff works even when used in non-expected manners, that's pretty valuable by itself, and something Layout appears to have lost.
    Absolutely.

The argument that Layout feels like a stage, lets you act like a camera man; that may all be true. But due to Layouts lack of flexibility and progress for decades in that regard, other applications are far beyond that now. Spline control was added some releases back but was never improved again.

For example the ability to use tags on the camera object of any kind, having camera setups as you mentioned, the takes system, being able to just draw splines to animate the cam, various ways of running parametric and keyframe-less animation, native 2D and 3D motion tracking, various supported stereo / VR formats, even just the way to move in and out of the camera view or having a separate undo for camera changes is just so much more useful.

By the way John, if you don't know and have the Recall plugin for Cinema yet, I highly recommend it. Great for camera setups as well as to further improve the overall workflow. And the Signal plugin of course which is incredibly versatile but I guess you know these already.

P.s. sorry for being off topic here.
    Last edited by Marander; 12-04-2020 at 08:37 PM.

Haven't done much more than kick the tires since updating the OS, but 2020.0.2 is working fine for me on Big Sur on a 2019 16-inch MBP.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    By the way John, if you don't know and have the Recall plugin for Cinema yet, I highly recommend it. Great for camera setups as well as to further improve the overall workflow. And the Signal plugin of course which is incredibly versatile but I guess you know these already.
    Thanks for the tip on Recall, it looks extremely useful, and I'll grab it ASAP!

I've had Signal since it was released.
    John W.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast