Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do I make river flow along canyon?

not sure what they were thinking in regards to 2015 features, or rather lack of them.

well, history now...

still fall back to 2015 when I'm in a hurry
    making further tests right now in LW11.6,
    getting quite nice results (versus rendertime) in 4K for cartoons renders.
    Last edited by erikals; 11-13-2020 at 05:00 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

I don't know...over the years, LW 2015 carried me though an awful lot of work. Still does, actually.

I've only really started using 'modern' LightWave (2019 and up) at work in the last year or so, but still falling back to 2015 a lot.

From what I recall, LW 11.6 irritated me because the motion vector channel was broken in that version. Something like that anyway...might have been more specific like motion vectors for FiberFX or Instances. (Sorry, memory fuzzy on this one.) Whatever the issue was, it did get fixed during the 2015 cycle, and there was actually lot of super useful stuff in 2015 (for me anyway.)

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    I don't know...over the years, LW 2015 carried me though an awful lot of work. Still does, actually.

I've only really started using 'modern' LightWave (2019 and up) at work in the last year or so, but still falling back to 2015 a lot.
    I was playing more with LW2019 for a while, but now find myself back in LW2015 more and more. LW2019.1.5 isn't as bad of a "minefield" as LW2020.0.2, but it's kind of a "lesser evil" comparison in my book. While there have been some nifty feature and LWSDK improvements in LW2018+ versions, they've all got significant functional quality and stability issues compared to the final LW11 or LW2015 releases.

LW2015.3 has issues too, no question, but stability and functional quality are significantly greater than any LW2018+ releases... and most UB plugins work.

Then again, I still occasionally break out LW9.6 when I have specific Worley plugin needs (on Mac, after that they stopped working). Now that feels like stepping back a ways, but OTOH, getting ALL my Worley plugins working again grants some capabilities that none of LW2015.3, LW2019.1.5, or LW2020.0.3 offer.
    Last edited by jwiede; 11-13-2020 at 08:54 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet View Post
    Particles, HVs and an Animation Path wind, maybe? A very quick-n-dirty LW2015 scene attached. I'll leave it up to the PBR experts to use LW2018 volumetrics instead of HVs, if desired. I *used* the Fast Fresnel shader for a quick water surface which has been removed post-LW2018.

MOV file: Attachment 149055

mTp
    Yes, animation path wind works for particle motion, and VDB meshing in the 2019 tools are better to use than old hvs surface stuff, you can adjust size and meshing and smoothness in a better way and it is trully mesh fusion unlink the horrible blending in hvīs.

As probably mentioned, there will be stability issues with the vdb tools though, but if you can endure that, the vdb fluid tools are way better than the hv stuff, or simulate it with the houdini fluid tools or blender and export as vdb for lw rendering...works too, though you need to learn how to find the right nodes to export it all

ok, is this morning, or night ?

7:00am, i need a break...

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    ok, is this morning, or night ?
    I just got up one hour ago, so yes..still on the right track, itīs morning...but it doesnīt change the weather, still grey all day, and all week.
    So...maybe I donīt know why I say goodmorning, when all you say is goodnight

If I get the time I might check up on river flow with animation path and the vdb tools.

So...maybe I donīt know why I say good morning, when all you say is goodnight
    well, no one can claim we don't work around the clock.

c u later.

It's grey and wet everywhere today, even here in the UK, did any of you try the video linked by 'OFF' back on page two, using hot ocean and spline displacement, way better than particles or emitters I thought, you should give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    It's grey and wet everywhere today, even here in the UK, did any of you try the video linked by 'OFF' back on page two, using hot ocean and spline displacement, way better than particles or emitters I thought, you should give it a try
    UK, Norway, Sweden..we are all in this s..weather band together ..fairly close, usually the weather front seem to reach Uk, then go over Norway and then hitting Sweden and stockolm last..usually, by the time it hits my place..it often has
    lost strength if thereīs any huge storm etc.

Thanks for that link gerry, Yes..that looks darn good( could skip all the octane setup though)
    I will have to take a look and using spline displacement..hot ocean I had installed, but not right now, will have to fix that..otherwise there are som decent procedural textures in dpontīs set..wich will be faster than hot ocean.

May take a look at this with both lw vdb fluids, and blenders fluids.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123